Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Discogs

Started by Malcy, February 21, 2020, 10:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NattyDread 2

Discogs has always been pretty sweet for buying and selling for me, so far. Some pretty pricey reggae I had was always snapped up by Russian buyers, even though I had put UK bids only. No problems in the end.
Good info upthread. I've been meaning to shift some Felt albums for a while.

kittens

bought a record from a little french cont over a month ago, still haven't got it. repeatedly asking him for tracking info and using the function that makes it so if he does not respond his account gets suspended. and he would wait and respond just within the time limit to say 'did u received the parcel ?' so the countdown resets and i can't force him to respond for another few days. fucker drivin me up the wall. he finally got the message a couple of days ago and says he's posting it. yeah right mate. nothing i can really do about it. leave bad feedback i guess. focks sake

Malcy

Does anyone know any sellers that have good deals on shipping? I found one yesterday that was £10 for 25-50 12"'s and have put loads in the basket. I'll be ordering stuff next week and would prefer to order from sellers like this as it's so much cheaper.

Other stuff in my basket isn't far off the same price in total for only a handful of records. Or if anyone wants to drop their own page in here so I can have a look there and shop.

Cheers folks.

Malcy

Finally ordered for the first time on here. PayPal wouldn't let me pay with my card which is what I always do as it's an instant transfer.

Decided to just do the pay with bank account option. Sent as a bloody eCheque. Made the order early on the 6th of May. The money only came out my bank this Monday and it's still showing as pending on PayPal.

Anyone had any experience with this and know if I'm going to have to wait any longer?

kngen

Someone's selling a record I've been after for a while, and it could be a pretty unique press as it sounds like its somewhere between the clear and black vinyl presses (and is a combo of the two, which can happen when they switch the mix).

Can you send me a pic, I ask?

'No'

Riiiiiiiight.

the science eel

Can you only give sellers feedback once you've bought something from them?

holyzombiejesus

Only if you've ordered from them. If a seller cancels and you don't buy, you can leave feedback.

lazyhour

Quote from: kngen on May 21, 2020, 03:46:35 PM
Someone's selling a record I've been after for a while, and it could be a pretty unique press as it sounds like its somewhere between the clear and black vinyl presses (and is a combo of the two, which can happen when they switch the mix).

'No'

Riiiiiiiight.

Out of interest, how much is the asking price? Testing a theory here...

Dewt

I sold something on there a couple of weeks ago for $300 and it actually went well. Hadn't sold anything before (zero seller rating) so the guy was pretty trusting

the science eel

kngen

Quote from: lazyhour on May 21, 2020, 10:43:36 PM
Out of interest, how much is the asking price? Testing a theory here...

59 euros

lazyhour

Yep, that's enough to warrant a photo, innit?

I sell a bit on Discogs and the amount of time-waster photo requesters is crazy. People ask for photos of a cd or record that I've described as NM/NM and am asking £7 for. And is pictured exhaustively on the site. I always just ignore these requests, if I'm honest. On the rare occasion I've photographed an item the person seldom buys it.

This seller may have had his time wasted like I have, but I admit that just replying "No" is very weird and rude. Had you asked multiple times or just once?

Sebastian Cobb

'No'

Riiiiiiiight.

Is that what a 'dinked' edition is or is that a marketing ploy to engineer rarity?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2020, 12:05:38 AM
Is that what a 'dinked' edition is or is that a marketing ploy to engineer rarity?

The latter. Some of the indie shops have got together and get special editions of releases made that only they sell. Normally coloured vinyl, signed insert and some gubbins like a flexi or tote bag.

https://dinkededition.co.uk/

Malcy

'No'

Riiiiiiiight.

Yeah i would be wary of that. I think all of the sellers I've looked at with expensive or rare items say please don't hesitate to ask for pictures. Ive seen some say that they only give pictures for the expensive items and not to ask when dealing with cheap items.

kngen

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 22, 2020, 10:09:46 AM
The latter. Some of the indie shops have got together and get special editions of releases made that only they sell. Normally coloured vinyl, signed insert and some gubbins like a flexi or tote bag.

Not in this case. It is (or at least purports to be) a genuine 'mispress' from a tiny DIY label in the early 90s. There's about 30 or so weird colour variations of this record because Erica, the pressing plant, used to throw them in for free to labels because they would run the machines clean before switching stampers. For this particular press, there are blue and pink variations, but I've never heard of the black/clear mix this guy is selling, hence my hesitation without photo evidence. (Tbh, I think he's just got a low quality black vinyl press that's a bit see through, so not only is it not rare, it's probably a bootleg, too).

Edit: Sorry, misundertood what you were saying. Thought you were saying this was an engineered rarity. My mistake!

kngen

Quote from: lazyhour on May 21, 2020, 11:29:00 PM
Yep, that's enough to warrant a photo, innit?

Yeah, I'd say so.

I sell a bit on Discogs and the amount of time-waster photo requesters is crazy. People ask for photos of a cd or record that I've described as NM/NM and am asking £7 for. And is pictured exhaustively on the site. I always just ignore these requests, if I'm honest. On the rare occasion I've photographed an item the person seldom buys it.

This seller may have had his time wasted like I have, but I admit that just replying "No" is very weird and rude. Had you asked multiple times or just once?

Just once. But I've literally never heard of this version before (and neither has Discogs, which is pretty comprehensive on all the weird variations this label has), so I don't think it's unreasonable. Like I said above, I think he's just trying to pass off a low-quality boot as something unique.

Quote from: Malcy on May 22, 2020, 03:29:21 PM
Yeah i would be wary of that. I think all of the sellers I've looked at with expensive or rare items say please don't hesitate to ask for pictures. Ive seen some say that they only give pictures for the expensive items and not to ask when dealing with cheap items.

Yeah, I ended up picking up a regular clear version from a US seller that just went up for half the price this chancer was asking, so I'm happy with that. Pretty much paid what I got for it when I stupidly sold it 10 or so years ago.

itsfredtitmus

My feedback is shit because I used to constantly order stuff and then forget to pay do ya think that will influence people not to buy shit from me?

WhoMe

Slightly off topic sorry. Seem to be buying more minimal/ambient records these days, can tolerate (even appreciate) a bit of noise but there's a fine line to it becoming distracting. Can any of you vouch for a particular vinyl cleaning method? I've tried cleaning fluid and a cloth before but anything heavier than surface dust and you're just pushing it in further I feel. Looking at one of those manual spin clean machines, 80 quid is pushing it but just about justifiable if it does a good job.

kngen

lazyhour

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 24, 2020, 04:58:29 AM
My feedback is shit because I used to constantly order stuff and then forget to pay do ya think that will influence people not to buy shit from me?

That's a joke, right? Yes, people will be very very reluctant to buy stuff from you if you have a feedback percentage under about 85%.

holyzombiejesus

I don't think buyers feedback and sellers feedback are linked so you could be a shit buyer (i.e. ordering and not paying) but fine at selling/ shipping/ accurate description, and you'd have a decent seller rating.

Does anyone who uses Discogs noticed things going a bit mental over the weekend? I've sold shitloads (11 orders) since Saturday morning when I'd usually expect to sell 3 or 4 items.

lazyhour

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 24, 2020, 11:03:21 PM
I don't think buyers feedback and sellers feedback are linked so you could be a shit buyer (i.e. ordering and not paying) but fine at selling/ shipping/ accurate description, and you'd have a decent seller rating.

Blimey, you're right! I've learned something new here. Ta!

Dewt

I wouldn't want to buy from somebody with shit feedback in either category, though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 22, 2020, 10:09:46 AM

Thought so. I think I've got a couple when both options were on sale for the same price just because there's some extra bits and bobs. Although to be honest I don't generally care about coloured pressings or whatever.

Malcy

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 21, 2020, 12:02:37 PM
https://www.discogs.com/seller/alan.james/profile?sort=price%2Cdesc

Only just looked at this now. Wow. That guy is proper mental if he thinks his stuff is worth that never mind if people will actually pay that for them.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 25, 2020, 12:02:22 AM
Thought so. I think I've got a couple when both options were on sale for the same price just because there's some extra bits and bobs. Although to be honest I don't generally care about coloured pressings or whatever.

Yeah, neither do I. The new thing that labels have for doing limited runs in coloured vinyl perplexes me. Why would any regular person hanker after an orange vinyl version of a record? I might be too old but I don't really get why a lot of these add ons make a record more desirable. 'Deluxe version with a 12"x12" art print' for a fiver more? Pfft.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: lazyhour on May 24, 2020, 10:38:21 PM
That's a joke, right? Yes, people will be very very reluctant to buy stuff from you if you have a feedback percentage under about 85%.
They're just virgins then that don't deserve my highly affordable records

grainger

If you have a shit rating, what's to stop you starting afresh with a new account?

kalowski

Quote from: bigfatheart on February 21, 2020, 12:42:18 PM
Actually, he's selling it for £399.99.
I think you mean £(399 + 1 - 0.01)