Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Discogs

Started by Malcy, February 21, 2020, 10:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

I don't know why I assumed Discogs wouldn't charge selling fees but an email I received today done learned me different

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: grainger on May 25, 2020, 10:21:52 PM
If you have a shit rating, what's to stop you starting afresh with a new account?
wouldn't that be more dubious? i'd much rather buy something from someone with a 95 percent track record than nothing at all!

Malcy

I've ordered 50 vinyl in the last month from the same seller. 2 orders of 25 with just £6 shipping each time.

I wish more sellers done this. Some charge so much that it isn't even worth getting anything unless you order multiple and they don't always have anything else you'd want.

Discogs have recently said that sellers with specific selling terms are seeing a lot less cancellations. I can understand why.

holyzombiejesus

Anything up to 2kg costs £4.10 for 2nd class registered. Really pisses me off when sellers say '50p extra for each additional record'.

Malcy

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 19, 2020, 12:02:01 AM
Anything up to 2kg costs £4.10 for 2nd class registered. Really pisses me off when sellers say '50p extra for each additional record'.

I regularly see £1 per extra record. Unless they're using really expensive mailers and packing materials then it's just taking the piss.

holyzombiejesus

Apparently postage to the US is about to go up by 50%.

Quote"Royal Mail in the UK is one of a number of international mail providers affected by the circumstances, with the price of sending International standard parcels to the US increasing by 49% on average, and the price of International signed and tracked parcels sent to the US increasing by an average of 38%."

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 25, 2020, 12:37:25 AM
Yeah, neither do I. The new thing that labels have for doing limited runs in coloured vinyl perplexes me. Why would any regular person hanker after an orange vinyl version of a record? I might be too old but I don't really get why a lot of these add ons make a record more desirable. 'Deluxe version with a 12"x12" art print' for a fiver more? Pfft.

I got offered to pre-order pre-signed copies of the new haim album recently.

I have some records that are signed, because I bought them off the artists selling their own wares at the post-gig merch stall, in many cases it happened without me really asking them to do it but it's nice, I associate it with memories of a gig, often they were the warm-up since I'd already bought the headliner's record. That can fuck off though.

holyzombiejesus

Has anyone had an issue with Discogs messages not comingbthrough to their email accounts? I used to get emails when I sold something and when I got payment through. The latter stopped a few months ago and now I have to go and check my Discogs account to see if I've sold anything. I've checked my spam filters and whatnot but nothing explains it. I even changed my registered email address and it came straight through to my work one but now I can't even get the 'click to confirm' email to revert back to my yahoo email.

BlodwynPig

mine stopped coming a while ago, but they were mostly Wishlist info and I may have turned some option off

Captain Z

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on July 08, 2020, 10:57:50 PM
This guy gets it

https://www.discogs.com/Ninja-McTits-Discogs-Fascists/release/6212559

I've seen that once before but I'm laughing much harder this time around. There's since been a physical cassette release with an extra 10 'Japan-only bonus tracks':

https://www.discogs.com/Ninja-McTits-Discogs-Fascists/release/10208393

I particularly admire the extra pettiness of coming up with the name "Cheese (19) (2)" as one of the artists.

Pauline Walnuts

Marketplace
"This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs."

The link to buy it from https://tsundere-violence.webs.com/store is:
https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/469975642

BlodwynPig

Lovely stuff, my entry for Jessie Ware's new album after I ordered the vinyl was removed because I didn't physically have the release in my possession at the time of creating the entry. Someone then copied my entry and submitted, stating "I actually got this pre-release and have it sitting next to me right now!".

ha ha ha. I used the feel dismayed by the brutal messages telling me that I had not capitalised a word correctly, but now realise its just part of the community that I am not invested in.

holyzombiejesus

Sellers are going to have to set up automatic shipping policies for all items by the end of September. It's a fucking shitty thing to do and I am seriously considering pulling my stuff from there.  I have no idea how you can do this effectively without weighing every single item and even then I don't know how it will account for shifts in parcel sizes for multiple/ costly purchases. Absolutely ridiculous, bunch of cunts.

Pauline Walnuts

"Maybe you should have a filter for some of those dodgy album covers made by assorted Edgelords?"

"It's people like you who'd ban Michelangelo David, Check out this link to the Scorpion's Virgin Killer, that'll blow your tiny button down mind"

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/887800?page=1

Bunch O'Boomers.

the science eel

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 19, 2020, 10:09:35 PM
Sellers are going to have to set up automatic shipping policies for all items by the end of September. It's a fucking shitty thing to do and I am seriously considering pulling my stuff from there.  I have no idea how you can do this effectively without weighing every single item and even then I don't know how it will account for shifts in parcel sizes for multiple/ costly purchases. Absolutely ridiculous, bunch of cunts.

I ended up adding about 3 quid to the price of everything and announcing FREE SHIPPING. I really could not work all that shit out for the life of me. Absolute cunt move, you're right.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: the science eel on August 07, 2021, 10:44:47 PM
I ended up adding about 3 quid to the price of everything and announcing FREE SHIPPING. I really could not work all that shit out for the life of me. Absolute cunt move, you're right.

What if someone buys it from Lima?

the science eel

I only ship to the UK and Europe.

thugler

Christ, was trying to set up to sell stuff on here but the process of doing so is esoteric and bizarre I couldn't work it out in half an hour of attempting to.

holyzombiejesus

If you just want to sell to the UK, it's pretty easy, especially if you're just selling 12"s/ LPs. PM me if you want any help.

Malcy

Just noticed they've added recommended from seller listings to your cart page. Haven't ordered anything for a while and back to actual shops. Last order I got was pretty bad but it was cheap. One of the records was stated as VG+ maybe even NM with the sleeve just G+ so I ordered not too fussed about the sleeve. Record was really badly warped. The whole order was graded incorrectly.

Pauline Walnuts

I'm no expert at Databases, but...

They've decided to change 'Brit pop' to 'Britpop', and are asking for volunteers to manually change all the 23,000 releases.

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/930007

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on March 01, 2022, 11:37:33 AMI'm no expert at Databases, but...

They've decided to change 'Brit pop' to 'Britpop', and are asking for volunteers to manually change all the 23,000 releases.

That's madness, has anyone calculated the man hours?

monkfromhavana

Have to factor in some bloke disputing the changes onto the timescale to.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on March 01, 2022, 11:37:33 AMI'm no expert at Databases, but...

Ha ha! Someone in that thread is recalling that they had to do the same thing for 'Shoegaze', which at one point had been two genres 'Shoegaze' and 'Shoegazing' (or something).

BlodwynPig

Please add "Future Funk"

kalowski

New genre Briptop added.

iamcoop

Sorry to bump this thread but I have a question...

I've used discogs fairly regularly to buy stuff in the last year and I've never had any problems.

I bought quite an expensive record from a seller three days ago. Once I'd purchased the record they immediately sent me an invoice (pre-payment), I promptly paid and haven't heard anything since, despite sending them a (polite) message this morning asking them if they could give me a rough dispatch date or time.

Am I being overbearing/needlessly worrying about this?

When I've bought records before even if they've been super cheap the seller has always been quick to acknowledge my payment and at least messaged to tell me when it's going to be dispatched, it seems a bit odd to me that I'm now getting radio silence from a seller after buying the most expensive record I've ever bought.

Should probably add here that the seller has exemplary feedback.

I'm not super worried as I know PayPal's terms tend to be tilted towards the buyer but I'm a bit pissed off I've heard nothing from the seller at all for almost four days now.

I'm being impatient and needy aren't I?

kalowski

This may sound stupid but have you had the PayPal confirmation email. I bought something via the app and everything seemed fine but I was in a similar position (no seller contact) and when I got in touch after few days the seller said, "I'm just waiting for you to pay".
I had to do it via the web.

iamcoop

Quote from: kalowski on April 12, 2022, 04:35:36 PMThis may sound stupid but have you had the PayPal confirmation email. I bought something via the app and everything seemed fine but I was in a similar position (no seller contact) and when I got in touch after few days the seller said, "I'm just waiting for you to pay".
I had to do it via the web.

Just double checked and yes, I have. So the seller definitely has the money. Cheers for the suggestion though!