Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,475
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

tattooed teenage alien fighters from beverly hills

Started by BlodwynPig, February 21, 2020, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

https://youtu.be/SkuQeR1PErI?t=1566

What is this? No-one has ever mentioned this? It's all Ninja turtles, Saved by the Bell and Beverly Hills 902150...but this looks like GOLD!

Blue Jam

I remember the name, never watched it.

I did watch this one though, when I was at home from uni and my crappy Channel 5 serial killer documentary-obsessed mother was watching it. I had forgotten everything but the title, including the fact that it was narrated by Sean Pertwee:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1401150/

Spiteface

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 21, 2020, 02:09:59 PM
https://youtu.be/SkuQeR1PErI?t=1566

What is this? No-one has ever mentioned this? It's all Ninja turtles, Saved by the Bell and Beverly Hills 902150...but this looks like GOLD!

Very much a thing that could only have come about when Power Rangers was at its peak. The timing of its release indicates more PR than Ninja Turtles (although the "classic"cartoon was still hanging on back then). The growing giant thing is more Ultraman, though.

Power Rangers, as big as it was, never did quite spawn a legion of copycats, though. Most of them came from Saban themselves - shows that usually came to an end once they ran out of footage from the Japanese shows they were repurposing. Only exception I can think of was Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.

George White

The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog was the weirdest.
Saban doing a tokusatsu series without any Japanese footage, and also set in Ireland to take advantage of tax breaks, with an adult cast who all had Father Ted credits to their name. Father Billy "The Spinmaster" O'Dwyer, Fargo Boyle, Picnic Wife and Father Niall Haverty among them.

The female lead, Deirdra, Lisa Dwan is now this very serious, acclaimed theatre actress, while the male lead,Rohan -  Lochlann O'Mearain ended up in Glenroe (Ireland's Emmerdale Mk III) as a character called Hoppy Crosby.

BlodwynPig

Spiteface

Quote from: George White on February 22, 2020, 08:28:37 PM
The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog was the weirdest.
Saban doing a tokusatsu series without any Japanese footage, and also set in Ireland to take advantage of tax breaks, with an adult cast who all had Father Ted credits to their name. Father Billy "The Spinmaster" O'Dwyer, Fargo Boyle, Picnic Wife and Father Niall Haverty among them.

The female lead, Deirdra, Lisa Dwan is now this very serious, acclaimed theatre actress, while the male lead,Rohan -  Lochlann O'Mearain ended up in Glenroe (Ireland's Emmerdale Mk III) as a character called Hoppy Crosby.

There are still people upset they canned a second series of that just to pump more money into Power Rangers. But Saban's always done weird/questionable things.

Dex Sawash