Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Trip to Greece

Started by oy vey, February 21, 2020, 10:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oy vey

Another one from Coogan/Brydon/Winterbottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0Wj5yg2NE or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFWF1Uv61g for fuck all info.

Bored of watching them eat and jibe each other? Worried they are running out of impersonations? Secretly wishing they would finish in a country more befitting their style of melancholic wit and charm, like say Ireland?

The first season is still my favourite I suppose but every season has it's moments: Michael Bublé, Wogan, John Hurt. I think I'm looking forward to it...

Noodle Lizard

The Trip to Spain was underwhelming (if only for that fucking ending), but I still revisit the first two for near-meditative bleakness. IFC release them as "movies" over in the US, but having watched both versions of all of them, I think they do a pretty judicial job cutting them down. I can't think of a time I've really missed a bit from the TV episodes, anyway.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: oy vey on February 21, 2020, 10:12:19 PM
Secretly wishing they would finish in a country more befitting their style of melancholic wit and charm, like say Ireland?

They seem wedded to the idea of it being holiday TV, but they definitely should go somewhere less sunny.

oy vey

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 22, 2020, 01:12:59 AM
The Trip to Spain was underwhelming (if only for that fucking ending)

What the hell was that stupid ending? Presumably they have to sort that out first.

QuoteThey seem wedded to the idea of it being holiday TV, but they definitely should go somewhere less sunny.

The whole sailing in the sun shtick is a bit meh. Ireland would be perfect. Plenty of bleak weather and artistic/literary locales. Full circle, more or less.

honeychile

Similarly, given that they've done Coogan's patch in the north-west of England, i'd like them to do one in Wales.

Ferris

I'd like them to do the West Midlands but I imagine it's an easier sell to Steve/Rob/the crew to go somewhere sunny.

Spoiler alert
Is the ending from the Trip to Spain considered canon? A lost Steve Coogan being kidnapped in North Africa?
[close]
I can't remember if that happened or not. Might have made it up.

marquis_de_sad

Let's hope it was just another dream.

Dewt

chveik

I hope they will end up murdering each other

Quote from: oy vey on February 22, 2020, 02:11:17 AM
What the hell was that stupid ending? Presumably they have to sort that out first.

I hope they just make no mention of it. It was far too jarring and added nothing to an already patchy third series.

sevendaughters

I'd like them to do one every 3 years until one of them dies. Don't care where.

steamed hams

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on February 22, 2020, 08:09:40 AM
I hope they just make no mention of it. It was far too jarring and added nothing to an already patchy third series.

It was mentioned in the This Morning interview in the OP, so it seems they are going to address it in some way at least, be interesting to see what they come up with. Last series was a big step down from the first two for me, felt like it was getting a bit stale, hopefully they will mix things up a bit more this time, e.g. not having Claire Keelan and that photographer lady turning up for an episode yet again would be good. Although obviously given the format it's difficult to change things too much.

marquis_de_sad

The first two series work as mirrors of each other.

Series one: north of England, winter, cold, wet; Coogan frustrated with his Hollywood career, sleeping around; Rob happy but conscious of being small-time; Dudley, elfin sexuality. Literary themes: Romantic poets and their relationship with fame and family. Key line: "I'm fucking brilliant!"

Series two: Italy, summer, sunny, hot; Coogan more comfortable with his lot in life, connecting with his son; Rob getting a Hollywood film role, sleeping around. Literary themes: Romantic poets and their relationship with death. Key line: "I don't think we've ever been this old, Rog."

Series three is just more of the same but in a hot country again.

Brundle-Fly

I didn't mind the ending of Spain. It was just popping that luxurious bubble he had existed in on these trips; staying in posh hotels and dining on the finest prepared food in the world. Obviously, nothing bad happened to him as we now have The Trip To Greece. 

From an interview:

Winterbottom was forced to explain the ending after a screening of the film at New York's Tribeca Film festival earlier this year.

"It's a tricky ending, I think," Winterbottom said, according to Vulture.

"They talk quite a lot about Don Quixote and Sancho Panza, so it is like a version of that."

Don Quixote is a novel by Spanish author Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra that follows a man on a mission to right the wrongs of the world alongside his sidekick Sancho Panza.

"[T]here's a running thing that Steve imagines he's gonna write this cultural book about Spain. He wants to have a life of action. He admires George Orwell because he went off fighting and he thinks he would fight. He admires Cervantes because he went off fighting, was kidnapped, and so on."

Winterbottom explained this unconventional ending represented Coogan's chance to "be a man of action".

"All those liberal ideas, all this belief that he wants to be a man of action and really experience life – and suddenly he's in the desert in a Muslim country and he sees four guys arriving and suddenly, he's panicking, thinking, 'S***, I'm actually gonna have an experience'."

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 22, 2020, 05:25:14 PM
Winterbottom explained this unconventional ending represented Coogan's chance to "be a man of action".

"All those liberal ideas, all this belief that he wants to be a man of action and really experience life – and suddenly he's in the desert in a Muslim country and he sees four guys arriving and suddenly, he's panicking, thinking, 'S***, I'm actually gonna have an experience'."[/i]

That sounds very post-hoc. Basically I think they didn't have much of an arc for the series, so they ended it on a random cliffhanger to avoid it just fizzling out.

Thinking about it, Trip to Spain really is like a soft reboot of Trip to Italy. It would have been better if they went somewhere totally different for series three. If they went to the USA, for instance, there would be a whole new set of things to talk about, new scenery, different car, etc. They could be discussing Whitman and Thoreau and all that lot. Or the Beats (if they must). Then for the 4th series they could go to somewhere in Asia. Again, totally different food, setting, and literature. India would be good, as you'd have the empire connection (Kipling, etc).

I still like the Trip to Spain, but it's nowhere near as satisfying as the other two.

oy vey

Not to make a habit of linking inane youtube videos but... find out which Trip is Steve's favourite here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRAtsEKjH1k

Chollis

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: oy vey on February 23, 2020, 12:00:07 AM
Not to make a habit of linking inane youtube videos but... find out which Trip is Steve's favourite here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRAtsEKjH1k

That wasn't inane at all, he was quite engaging. Thanks for the link.

Replies From View

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 22, 2020, 09:02:21 AM
I'd like them to do one every 3 years until one of them dies. Don't care where.

No I'm not fussed where they die either.

weekender

I think they should make a point of dying at the end of each series.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

oy vey

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 23, 2020, 01:34:40 AM
That wasn't inane at all, he was quite engaging. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, was alright actually. Looks like he enjoyed the MMM clip the most. Good.

niat

This starts tonight on Sky One, but every episode is now available to download on Sky's catchup thing, Now TV etc.

Cuellar

I remember reading a few responses to the Spain ending on right-wing weird websites, the general sense being that Coogan is an example of failed masculinity and an enervated Western civilisation, threatened by the spectre of barbarism and ISIS. Coogan, cucked (his wife is on holiday with her new boyfriend, which Coogan is paying for (or at least was in Italy)), unable to handle his son having impregnated a woman, hamstrung by the breakdown of the traditional family unit.

Crackers eh.

olliebean

Is this "available" anywhere for those of us without access to Sky?

batwings

Quote from: olliebean on March 04, 2020, 08:55:25 AM
Is this "available" anywhere for those of us without access to Sky?

I wouldn't really know but you could try reddit's UKTVLAND

Chollis

Best one by far. The twist at the end knocked the stuffing out of me!

Chollis

actually haven't watched this