Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:31:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Trip to Greece

Started by oy vey, February 21, 2020, 10:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't have anything to say about the first episode apart from that it was more of the same and therefore good.

olliebean

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on March 04, 2020, 12:43:42 PM
https://help.nowtv.com/article/free-trial

Already had one.

Quote from: batwings on March 04, 2020, 09:03:55 AM
I wouldn't really know but you could try reddit's UKTVLAND

Thanks, I checked earlier but always worth checking again!

ToneLa

might just buy a NowTv ents pass from CD Keys to binge this

A month of the Entertainment Pass for £3.49?? Yessum! (Used these for yonks, worry not)

Small Man Big Horse

All six episodes are now up on UKTVLand, I've only seen the first but I liked it a lot, it was gentle, warm and very funny stuff.

mjwilson

Flipping heck it's a crossover with Greed.

Just binged the lot in one go.

Fantastique!!!

Love how Coogan can just piss away heartfelt nonsense in his side-projects, whilst the other world famous English funnyman tries his hardest to write a complete load of shit.

I don't know why, but I do.

Loved it all anyway.

ANOTHER!!!

beanheadmcginty

Coogan seems to be laughing at Brydon's jokes a lot more in this series compared to the previous ones.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Do they do any impressions in this?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 05, 2020, 02:06:13 PM
Coogan seems to be laughing at Brydon's jokes a lot more in this series compared to the previous ones.

It's so good to have this back. I rarely laugh out loud at stuff, especially when I'm alone, but I was chuckling away like Coogan during episode one. I was particularly tickled by
Spoiler alert
Ronnie Corbett's delight at being commemorated in Turkey, "a country which meant so much to Ronnie B and I."
[close]

sevendaughters

Just powered my way through it while laid low with a stomach bug. I really liked it. It is pretty much more of the same with a little more pathos thrown in than previously. There's also a knock-off Philip Glass soundtrack (in particular it is a copy of the score to The Thin Blue Line) which I quite enjoyed. Presumably they're addressing the lack of BBC aid to soundtracking that saw that aspect of Spain fall flat.

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 05, 2020, 07:14:33 PM
Presumably they're addressing the lack of BBC aid to soundtracking that saw that aspect of Spain fall flat.

Not sure what you mean by this?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 05, 2020, 07:45:12 PM
Not sure what you mean by this?

maybe I've had false memory but I seem to recall there wasn't much music in TTOS, what with Sky not having the same rights as the BBC to music.

buttgammon

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't some of the soundtrack actual Philip Glass? I swear I heard part of his Violin Concerto at one point.

sevendaughters

Quote from: buttgammon on March 05, 2020, 08:29:53 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't some of the soundtrack actual Philip Glass? I swear I heard part of his Violin Concerto at one point.

just listening now, sounds like it!

buttgammon

Their
Spoiler alert
Neil Diamond-off
[close]
in episode 4 is fantastic.

However,
Spoiler alert
I do find those dinner scenes with the P.A. and photographer quite uncomfortable. I know the point is that it's Steve and Rob showing off, like teenagers, in front of two attractive women, but the actresses are reduced to just sitting there while the guys do their thing (the photographer hardly spoke a word this time around). Those scenes have always struck me as being more awkward and embarrassing than they're supposed to be.
[close]

I still love the show, though. It makes me feel all warm and melancholy.

beanheadmcginty

I also find this show genuinely educational as I didn't know hardly any of the various literary and philosophical stuff Steve has told Rob over the four series.

Lost Oliver

Thanks for the NOW TV trial lads.

Binged this and thought it was bloody good. I just love spending time with them. Think the first series is easily the best and one of my favourite things ever but the rest are still good. Thought this series was better than Spain, more pathos perhaps as someone said above.

Wasn't sure what they were trying to say with the end.
Spoiler alert
Was it just a juxtaposition between the two? I dunno. Didn't feel like I needed to see Rob at that point.
[close]

Having watched the first four I'm sad there haven't been many new impressions. The dinner scene with them showing off to the two women with the same old impersonations just was painful, so I'm going to be generous and hope that's 100% what they were going for.

mr. logic

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 09, 2020, 10:47:22 PM
Having watched the first four I'm sad there haven't been many new impressions. The dinner scene with them showing off to the two women with the same old impersonations just was painful, so I'm going to be generous and hope that's 100% what they were going for.

Think they were. There was a telling moment in an earlier episode when they start it over the phone to the P.A. and she, frustrated, rolls her eyes. Though Coogan did end up sleeping with the Spanish woman, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Was Coogan drinking in this one? I kept trying to work it out, but it seemed to be left deliberately ambiguous.

the science eel

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 09, 2020, 10:47:22 PM
Having watched the first four I'm sad there haven't been many new impressions.

I really liked Coogan's 'badly dubbed man'

Quote from: the science eel on March 10, 2020, 10:34:29 AM
I really liked Coogan's 'badly dubbed man'

It was good, Michael Winslow did the same in Police Academy 2

niat

Quote from: mr. logic on March 10, 2020, 10:18:59 AMWas Coogan drinking in this one? I kept trying to work it out, but it seemed to be left deliberately ambiguous.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't. There was only ever one wine glass when the two of them were dining and that was Bryden's.

spaghetamine

I love listening to people talk while they're eating.

Seagullsim

It's all very enjoyable, but can you imagine actually going on a similar trip with the two of them. Pair of insufferable smug cunts - they'd drive you insane after one meal.

Quote from: Seagullsim on March 10, 2020, 11:14:53 PM
It's all very enjoyable, but can you imagine actually going on a similar trip with the two of them. Pair of insufferable smug cunts - they'd drive you insane after one meal.

As mentioned previously, I guess that's the point of the scenes with the publicist and the photographer. I just don't really understand why Winterbottom, Coogan and Brydon feel compelled to point this out; it's a showcase for a pair of riffing comedians, of course it would be insufferable if you were actually there in the room with them. We get that.

Pranet

As Wayman etc said more of the same but I am fine with that.

Really need to rewatch Cock and Bull. Be interesting to see Rob Brydon without the hair and teeth work.

The Bumlord

Quote from: spaghetamine on March 10, 2020, 08:56:25 PM
I love listening to people talk while they're eating.

It's absolutely fucking horrible hearing Rob chomp and slurp.