Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:16:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Trip to Greece

Started by oy vey, February 21, 2020, 10:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damien

How would fans of these series rank them? I loved 1 but wasn't overawed with 2 so never bothered with 3 which people seem to say was a bit tired. Is 4 as good as the early ones?

jake thunder

I thought this was a load of fucking shite

chveik

yep me too, dull as fuck, no laughs whatsoever

Noodle Lizard

It was fine, but a little superfluous. Definitely (and self-consciously) "more of the same", but that's alright in and of itself. Could've done with a change from sunny Mediterranean countries, which has the effect of making each of the last three series somewhat indistinguishable in my memory. The pathos subplot with Steve's dying dad was a bit shit, and I don't think it paid off nearly as well as they thought it would.

That said, it was an easy and inoffensive watch, raising a smile more than enough times to be worthwhile.

PeasOnSticks

Yeah, it was ok, nothing more. Agree that a change to greyer, less picturesque climes might make things more interesting.

Chollis

Worst one I reckon, pretty boring, not enough laughs. Not arsed about Steve's fictional dad, I just want loads of silly impressions.

As others have touched upon, I think the first series is the only one that felt like it had something at its core to build around.

Seeing two famous comedians struggling with identity and their comedic personas while adrift in the grey and austere surroundings gave it a melancholy comedy/tragedy balance, which I think the subsequent runs tried to recapture but managed all-too-briefly. I did enjoy every series but 2 through 4 felt lightweight and disposable.

olliebean

TBH, although there's much to enjoy in series 2-4, they feel a bit like they were just wheeling out the format whenever Coogan and Brydon (and presumably Winterbottom) fancied a free holiday in the sun. Series 1 was a little masterpiece, though.

Captain Z

Agree S1 is way ahead of the others. I preferred S4 slightly over S3, I think Steve especially did a very good job of 'acting' in a totally believable way to
Spoiler alert
the presumably dramatised events surrounding his father's death
[close]
. But I struggle with some of the directorial/narrative choices at times, and worry that I just don't get what they're going for in an emotional sense. The final scenes between Rob and his wife I was just like 'alright, get a bloody room', which, to be fair, they did. And like S2, the music was too loud in the mix and didn't convey any clear sense of emotion either, often feeling confused between drama/melancholy/optimism. I do still enjoy the impressions though.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: olliebean on March 23, 2020, 09:42:45 PM
TBH, although there's much to enjoy in series 2-4, they feel a bit like they were just wheeling out the format whenever Coogan and Brydon (and presumably Winterbottom) fancied a free holiday in the sun. Series 1 was a little masterpiece, though.

I'm sure both Coogan and Brydon could easily afford a holiday on the continent without spending every day filming. To me, it feels like something they probably wish was a podcast now. Like Old Gold Tooth said, the first one (and the second, to a lesser degree) had an impetus and motivation behind it and all the impressions etc. are secondary to that, whereas it's the other way round with the others.

El Unicornio, mang

I actually had no idea until now that these were TV series' as I always just get the edited down movies. I guess I've only really seen half of them then. Might have to go back and watch them now. Anyway I thought this one was brilliant aside from the serious bits towards the end which jarred too much for me. The fantastic locations and food as much as the comedy.

Puce Moment

Some funny moments but this horse has been ready for the knackers' yard since the end of series 2.

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah there were a few parts where I thought "wait have I seen this before?" then realised they were just recycling gags from earlier ones. Still, hit the spot for me.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Shame about Coogans Dad.

What the fuck was that whole sub plot for? Was it Coogan trying to show off his "grief" acting or something?

sutin

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 25, 2020, 12:42:46 PM
I actually had no idea until now that these were TV series' as I always just get the edited down movies. I guess I've only really seen half of them then. Might have to go back and watch them now. Anyway I thought this one was brilliant aside from the serious bits towards the end which jarred too much for me. The fantastic locations and food as much as the comedy.

I only watch the movie versions. I just figured that would be enough.

Echoing what other have said, the first one is by far the best and the rest I would rate about the same.