Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recording electronic drums (MIDI problem)

Started by magval, February 22, 2020, 09:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Well.

I've had a good search online and can't find a solution for this (or at least, one that I understand).

I've bought a Roland TDK17 e-drum kit and I'm trying to record into Garageband on a 2013 Macbook Pro.

After footering about for ages with an external USB interface and a whole bunch of leads I've learned I can run a USB straight from the drum module to the laptop itself. So far so good.

At this stage, I should say I'm trying to use Garageband as a sort of alternative module, as I prefer the sounds in the sample kits.

The problem is this - the kick, ride, snare and three (of four) toms all work perfectly. The hats and the crash cymbals will only react if I hit them dead in the center. No reaction from the edges at all. The cymbals are designed to react to the edges being hit, just to be clear.

Apparently it's possible to change either how the module exports the notes or how Garageband imports them, but despite finding confirmation on this, I can't find the instruction on how to actually do it. I've found mention of changing the MIDI Map in Garageband - can't find it. The top Google-linked 'how to' video skips straight to a portion of the video where the narrator realizes it isn't working for him.

I'm convinced it's something simple, I just don't know where to look on either the module or the laptop.

Any advice or experience from the experienced?

the

Just to be clear, are you only recording the MIDI notes generated by the kit, which are then triggering sounds in Garageband?

Are you getting the same problem with, say, the rim of the snare?

I'm sure the rims (and bells) of some drums trigger a different MIDI note to the body of the drum (because they are meant to trigger a different sound).

So your problem might be that the rims are transmitting a MIDI note that isn't yet assigned to trigger a sound in Garageband.

If you haven't got a manual for the kit, go on the Roland website and get the MIDI implementation chart - this should tell you which MIDI notes and Control Changes are transmitted when you interact with the kit and its module.

From this you should hopefully be able to work out which notes are being transmitted by the kit that aren't yet set up to trigger a sound in GB.

the

Addtional: a quick way to check that the kit is transmitting notes when you hit the rims etc. would be to set the sequencer to record - then hit different parts of the kit once in a certain order.

When you look back at which notes were recorded in the piano roll, you should be able to work out which note came from which area you'd hit.

magval

magval

Wouldn't take much to convince me you're actually me, from a future where I've figured out how to do everything I want to do, but didn't want the current me to know my identity because of sci-fi head reasons.

Really appreciate it, the.