Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A man who is about to die - just did

Started by Alberon, February 23, 2020, 09:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willpurry

I read a story in a comic once in which "BTW, the twat's built the rocket himself" was the penultimate frame before "Rest in peace".

Quote from: willpurry on February 23, 2020, 06:56:05 PM
I read a story in a comic once in which "BTW, the twat's built the rocket himself" was the penultimate frame before "Rest in peace".

Frank Miller's 'Dan Dare' was proper grim-dark

Replies From View

Quote from: willpurry on February 23, 2020, 06:56:05 PM

And yet he was back the week after with Gnasher by his side.

Mister Six

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on February 23, 2020, 05:05:37 PM
EDIT: Just watched the video. That was some Wile E. Coyote shit right there.

Taking "flat Earther" a bit literally.

touchingcloth

Apparently the plan with the rocket was to reach 15,000 feet. $18,000 to not even get half as high as you could on a £1 Ryanair, and for the handicap of having to steer a mad steam powered rocket at the same time as trying to measure the horizon's curvature.

Marner and Me

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on February 23, 2020, 05:05:37 PM
Sounds like nothing of particular value was lost.

Of course some Flat Earthers will assume the Globeheads sabotaged him to stop his theory from being proven.

EDIT: Just watched the video. That was some Wile E. Coyote shit right there.
Surprised it didn't have ACME written on the side.

Marner and Me

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 23, 2020, 12:18:36 PM
To be fair if you want an informed opinion of space gubbins from a famous guitarist then Brian May is probably a safer bet.
I'd go the keyboard route and take Brian Cox, you think Pete Cunnah is phoning him up to get a reunion tour on the go?

Bobtoo

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 23, 2020, 10:31:45 AM
If he wanted to prove the earth was flat, why didn't he goto the edge.

This would seem to be the most obvious way to prove that the earth is flat, what's their reasoning for not doing that?

NoSleep

Apparently flat earthers believe in something called the "Pacman effect", whereby you are teleported to the opposite side when you reach the edge (surely more like an "Asteroids effect"). That explains everything.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: NoSleep on February 24, 2020, 07:16:16 AM
Apparently flat earthers believe in something called the "Pacman effect", whereby you are teleported to the opposite side when you reach the edge (surely more like an "Asteroids effect"). That explains everything.

That's just lazy; like something my kids would use as a plot device in their school homework.

momatt

This genuinely hurts my brainz.

Next I think the flat-earthers will make theories that Mike was assassinated by the FBI as he was getting too close to the truth.
We're through the looking-glass here people...

touchingcloth

They believe there's a wall of ice which surrounds the entire disc of Earth and keeps the oceans in place, so in their worldview[nb]Arf. [/nb] getting to the edge would involve chartering a ship which can cope with sea ice, so $18k on a steamy rocket probably seems a bargain in comparison. I they might also believe that the North Pole is dead centre on the disc, with the sun's orbit being a ring halfway between pole and edge, like a stylus stuck in a groove.

steve98

I remember this guy from a few years ago; same time as I read about a "Tiger Whisperer" called Shinty Gusset-Blunder (Seriously), and wondering who would stay alive the longest. Well done Shinty.

Norton Canes

Shit Good Nose

I'm waiting to meet a flat-earther in real life so I can show them the GPS route and pics one of my workmates took a few years ago when he went sailing.  Around the world.

idunnosomename

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 24, 2020, 09:13:51 AM
They believe there's a wall of ice which surrounds the entire disc of Earth and keeps the oceans in place, so in their worldview[nb]Arf. [/nb] getting to the edge would involve chartering a ship which can cope with sea ice, so $18k on a steamy rocket probably seems a bargain in comparison. I they might also believe that the North Pole is dead centre on the disc, with the sun's orbit being a ring halfway between pole and edge, like a stylus stuck in a groove.
there is also a red and white striped pole with a ball on top, with a wooden sign with icicles hanging off it saying "North Pole"

Marner and Me

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 24, 2020, 10:06:23 AM
there is also a red and white striped pole with a ball on top, with a wooden sign with icicles hanging off it saying "North Pole"
Could have a North Pole Swingball Competition, so in their mad world where is the South pole.
Quote from: Shit Good Nose

link=topic=78219.msg4107430#msg4107430 date=1582538285

I'm waiting to meet a flat-earther in real life so I can show them the GPS route and pics one of my workmates took a few years ago when he went sailing.  Around the world.

If you goto Chester
https://www.chesterflatearthgroup.com/

They post their meetings on here.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: steve98 on February 24, 2020, 09:19:54 AM
I remember this guy from a few years ago; same time as I read about a "Tiger Whisperer" called Shinty Gusset-Blunder (Seriously), and wondering who would stay alive the longest. Well done Shinty.

Fuck! Her kid is standing in the doorway.

Johnny Yesno

A friend of mine was telling me his (recent) ex partner is starting to get into crystals and flat earthism and all sorts of woo. She had told him that the earth has to be flat because 'water doesn't bend'. I laughed hard at this because it reminded me of that Spaced myth that dogs can't look up.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Alberon on February 23, 2020, 09:22:07 AM
Follow on from thread-

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,63860.0.html

Thank you for actually listening to me and starting a new thread instead of just necroposting like everyone else! Wow.

kngen

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 24, 2020, 09:58:05 AM

I knew a Flat Earther - they were high up in the Flat Earth Society. But that was was when it was clearly a Dadaist/Situationist lark about – I dunno? – subverting consensus reality or something. This person has totally distanced themselves from the movement, and now spends their time doxxing alt-right folk as a kind of penance, and is loath to talk about the whole thing. Which is a shame, as I have lots of questions, mostly how did their surrealist nonsense get hijacked by the alt-right, and why? What possible political currency could be gained by allying yourself with one of the most easily disproved 'conspiracies' of all time? Is it just a bellweather by which to judge how credulous your potential followers are?

Johnny Yesno

Hang on a minute. I can't find mention of anyone by the name of Shinty Gusset-Blunder. Is this a wind-up?

Ferris

At that point, what is the material difference between a flat earth with pacman effect vs a globe? What are we trying to prove here?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: kngen on February 24, 2020, 01:47:21 PM
I knew a Flat Earther - they were high up in the Flat Earth Society. But that was was when it was clearly a Dadaist/Situationist lark about – I dunno? – subverting consensus reality or something. This person has totally distanced themselves from the movement, and now spends their time doxxing alt-right folk as a kind of penance, and is loath to talk about the whole thing. Which is a shame, as I have lots of questions, mostly how did their surrealist nonsense get hijacked by the alt-right, and why? What possible political currency could be gained by allying yourself with one of the most easily disproved 'conspiracies' of all time? Is it just a bellweather by which to judge how credulous your potential followers are?

I think the alt-right learned about culture jamming.

studpuppet

Quote"Mad" Mike Hughes, 64, crash-landed his steam-powered rocket shortly after take-off near Barstow on Saturday.

QuoteWe were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Coincidence? I think not.

kngen

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 24, 2020, 01:49:51 PM
I think the alt-right learned about culture jamming.

I had considered that. But a lot of these people seem to believe (or do a very compelling impression of someone who believes) what they are saying. There's a big difference between daubing slogans on an advertising hoarding after dark and climbing into your own homemade rocket (and your ultimate death). The latter requires remarkable commitment to character if he didn't actually believe what he was espousing.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: kngen on February 24, 2020, 01:55:50 PM
I had considered that. But a lot of these people seem to believe (or do a very compelling impression of someone who believes) what they are saying. There's a big difference between daubing slogans on an advertising hoarding after dark and climbing into your own homemade rocket (and your ultimate death). The latter requires remarkable commitment to character if he didn't actually believe what he was espousing.

Oh, no, I'm sure yer rocket man was earnest in his intent. It's the right wing media types who make them paranoid that I'm on about. Can't have that firearms market drying up.

imitationleather

I think within a decade we'll have a President who believes the earth is flat.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 24, 2020, 02:24:06 PM
Oh, no, I'm sure yer rocket man was earnest in his intent. It's the right wing media types who make them paranoid that I'm on about. Can't have that firearms market drying up.

So you have a conspiracy theory about this conspiracy theory?