Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird TV Memories [split topic]

Started by SteK, February 05, 2020, 06:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlefaker

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on February 19, 2020, 04:21:37 PM
I recall a light entertainment show from early 90s British TV which was filmed in from of a studio audience, where around half way through there would be a bizarre segment in which a garden shed would descend from the studio ceiling on cables. A bloke would emerge from it and do some sort of comedy turn, then he'd get back in the shed and it would ascend to the ceiling. I remember seeing this more than once so it was probably a regular feature. Obviously others must've seen it if it was on a mainstream show but there doesn't seem to be anything about it on the net, so now I'm wondering if I dreamt or imagined it.

One of the openings of Vic Reeves' Big Night Out feauted a dummy of Vic being dropped from the studio ceiling through the roof of a shed, from which he emerged to sing. ("Panic" by The Smiths, iirc.) Could it be this?

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 19, 2020, 07:14:54 PM
Is it possible you were just really high every time you watched the "this week I are bin mostly eating apples" guy from The Fast Show?

Yeah, there is a similarity to those but I doubt my mind would've warped it that much.

neveragain

Yesterday I had sudden flashback of a show from ITV in the early noughties (I'm guessing at both those details) where Jerry Springer was basically doing a Judge Judy, and the case involving a fluffy poodle that two women were arguing over. Could it have been called something as crap as Judge Jerry? And surely it didn't last very long. I am going over to Wikipedia but thought I'd pop it in here anyway.

poodlefaker

Weird drama thing on ITV in the 70s...there's a dinner party going on, but there's a bloke under the table...while they're all chatting he cuts through one of the women's tights with a pair of scissors and sucks her toes.

Freaked me out as a kid and bothered me for about 20 years, until one day I was browsing in the library at college and randomly found the play in which it appears, by Alan Bennett.

holyzombiejesus

A repeat of Countdown watched on acid at 5 in the morning circa 2003 where a really weird looking man smugly claimed he'd got a 9 letter word, 'espargots'. I remember me and my friends laughing so much at his weird smug face and subsequent crestfallen look when he was told there was no such word.

non capisco

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 21, 2020, 10:26:53 PM
Weird drama thing on ITV in the 70s...there's a dinner party going on, but there's a bloke under the table...while they're all chatting he cuts through one of the women's tights with a pair of scissors and sucks her toes.

Freaked me out as a kid and bothered me for about 20 years, until one day I was browsing in the library at college and randomly found the play in which it appears, by Alan Bennett.

I first became aware of it when Quentin Tarantino brought his computer in to be fixed.

Cerys

Sounds like an Alan Ayckbourn kind of thing.  Maybe dramatists named Alan have a toe cult or something.

Marner and Me

A film of some Yank playing on a Japanese baseball team, and he's smoking in the showers.

Cerys

Cerys

I did consider skipping through it to see if the scene was there, but I've got some important laziness to do.

SteK

I used to write for a football fanzine, and one of my articles was read out on Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned, despite them saying no footy banter allowed an exception was made. It's was for BWFC Fanzine Tripe 'n' Trotters about West Brom signing Saddam Hussein of something, be shite now, so it must have been around the time BWFC and WBA were in playoff contention and the second Gulf War was going on.

I distinctly remember and was immensity proud.

I while back I downloaded all the eps and skipped though them, no sign. So I either imagined it or they cut it from the versions I'd nabbed. 60 eps a lot to rewatch beginning to end so I could have missed it by skipping....

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 16, 2020, 04:16:27 PM
Did anyone else watch the scifi tech thriller Killer Net on Channel 4? Like, actually watch it rather than see Brooker diss it on screen wipe?

I saw it, and for some reason thought the terrifying face of Killer Net (who, if I remember correctly, was revealed to be a very camp actor hired by whoever was behind it all) was played by Mark McDonnell offof Velvet Soup. So certain was I of this that, when a very drunk me bumped into a seemingly also drunk Mark McDonnell in a pub on the Grassmarket around 2008-ish, I praised his Quigley Cox highly, but lambasted him thoroughly for having been in Killer Net.

Which, it turns out - and he insisted at the time - he wasn't.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on February 23, 2020, 01:58:23 PM
I saw it, and for some reason thought the terrifying face of Killer Net (who, if I remember correctly, was revealed to be a very camp actor hired by whoever was behind it all) was played by Mark McDonnell offof Velvet Soup. So certain was I of this that, when a very drunk me bumped into a seemingly also drunk Mark McDonnell in a pub on the Grassmarket around 2008-ish, I praised his Quigley Cox highly, but lambasted him thoroughly for having been in Killer Net.

Which, it turns out - and he insisted at the time - he wasn't.

Haha quality.

I remember seeing an episode of Heartbeat with an alien abduction, something happened to Ventress and he underwent hypnosis to recall the event. Shit me right up at the time, so it did.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: SteK on February 23, 2020, 01:01:03 PM
I used to write for a football fanzine, and one of my articles was read out on Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned, despite them saying no footy banter allowed an exception was made. It's was for BWFC Fanzine Tripe 'n' Trotters about West Brom signing Saddam Hussein of something, be shite now, so it must have been around the time BWFC and WBA were in playoff contention and the second Gulf War was going on.

I distinctly remember and was immensity proud.

I while back I downloaded all the eps and skipped though them, no sign. So I either imagined it or they cut it from the versions I'd nabbed. 60 eps a lot to rewatch beginning to end so I could have missed it by skipping....

Have you tried going on a West Brom forum? Maybe they have their own version of buzby with all the knowledge at their fingertips.

Malcy

Omeleto uploaded this short film earlier and my first thought was this thread. Well not this one. The one it used to be.

A man sees a disturbing event on TV and believes he may be the only witness.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CQxxhGZhqds&t=6s

JesusAndYourBush

I swear I saw this but nobody else remembers it.  On Play School when the host says something like "Which window will we go through today..." etc and we get the sound of harp strings being plucked as the camera zooms forward through the chosen window.  Only this time the camera zooms towards the wrong window and the host says in an angry tone "Oy oyyyyy!! Wrong window! Wrong window!!!" and the camera pulls back and we go again and this time get the correct window.

Jockice

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 27, 2020, 02:05:59 AM
I swear I saw this but nobody else remembers it.  On Play School when the host says something like "Which window will we go through today..." etc and we get the sound of harp strings being plucked as the camera zooms forward through the chosen window.  Only this time the camera zooms towards the wrong window and the host says in an angry tone "Oy oyyyyy!! Wrong window! Wrong window!!!" and the camera pulls back and we go again and this time get the correct window.

There was a rumour I remember at junior school that when they were filming up update on the annual appeal on Magpie (which if you remember the amount of money raised was seen on a line across the studio) the cameras went back too far and showed Jenny Hanley thinking she was out of shot, standing there smoking a fag. Can't say I saw it myself but I wish I had. Even though I preferred Susan Stranks.

buzby

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 27, 2020, 02:05:59 AM
It might have been on a Christmas Tape or Aunties Bloomers, as Playschool was never transmitted live - you can see the process of the show being shot and edited on VT in this pre-colour BBC training film. For instance, there is the famous Fred Harris out-take where Big Ted refuses to co-operate.

There is a surviving 1968 episode that was shot by an OB unit, one of the first uses of the new colour 2" Quad VT equipment in an OB  (presumably it was done as some form of test or training for the technicians, as Playschool normally wouldn't warrant such extravagance).

SteK

I remember Sarah Green in her first appearance on Blue Peter getting flummoxed and said 'Gosh, I've forgotten what comes next..'

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: buzby on February 27, 2020, 10:43:06 AM
It might have been on a Christmas Tape or Aunties Bloomers, as Playschool was never transmitted live

It was definitely part of a regular transmitted episode.  I know it wasn't live, I assumed it was just a bit of prepared schtick.  It was funny though.

kalowski

Quote from: SteK on February 27, 2020, 10:46:08 AM
I remember Sarah Green in her first appearance on Blue Peter getting flummoxed and said 'Gosh, I've forgotten what comes next..'
I bet she did!

jamiefairlie

It might have been on a Christmas Tape or Aunties Bloomers, as Playschool was never transmitted live - you can see the process of the show being shot and edited on VT in this pre-colour BBC training film. For instance, there is the famous Fred Harris out-take where Big Ted refuses to co-operate.

There is a surviving 1968 episode that was shot by an OB unit, one of the first uses of the new colour 2" Quad VT equipment in an OB  (presumably it was done as some form of test or training for the technicians, as Playschool normally wouldn't warrant such extravagance).

My word, the film scenes in that are really beautiful. Such warmth and depth, lovely.

Glebe

Quote from: buzby on February 27, 2020, 10:43:06 AMthere is the famous Fred Harris out-take where Big Ted refuses to co-operate.

BT had a reputation for being a bit of a diva to be fair.

kalowski

What a star Fred Harris was (is).

Hand Solo

Slightly off-topic but I recall finding at random a load of comedy dubbed Coronation Street episodes on YouTube a few years ago, I think they were quite old ones from the 70s or 80s and done sequentially.. quite long, but obviously full of swearing and the like.. I think the first one I watched had some bloke stagger into the Rover's going on about being fucked up the arse by a load of Freemasons or something. Can't find any of them after trying various search terms, anybody know what I'm on about?

the

Quote from: Hand Solo on March 06, 2020, 11:44:07 PMSlightly off-topic but I recall finding at random a load of comedy dubbed Coronation Street episodes on YouTube a few years ago, I think they were quite old ones from the 70s or 80s and done sequentially.. quite long, but obviously full of swearing and the like.. I think the first one I watched had some bloke stagger into the Rover's going on about being fucked up the arse by a load of Freemasons or something. Can't find any of them after trying various search terms, anybody know what I'm on about?

link

Though for the record I'd just like to say that I think jokily redubbing things with swearing is a load of shit

Grange Hill in 1982.  Gripper and his sidekick, Denny, have just been chased by a teacher.  After outrunning him, Denny said to Gripper, 'what a cunt.'  I used to cassette record GH.  I played it back over and over.  I am positive that's what was said-though it must have been edited in by naughty production staff.  There's no way that'd be in the script or ad-libbed.  In 1991, I was listening to Steve Wright, then still on Radio One.  He and the posse were talking about alleged swearing slipping through on TV when it shouldn't.  One bloke referred to two pupils talking in Grange Hill and one of them using the worst swear word you can use about a teacher.  He told the others he still had the video of it and would show them.  I'm sure he was talking about the same incident as me.