Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:04:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV Guilty pleasures [split topic]

Started by PowerButchi, January 21, 2020, 07:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 18, 2020, 07:30:46 PM
He's a successful lawyer and widower,  Sonia died of cancer, Susan has MS. Possible coupling very much off the cards. On a positive note Sky Mangle is back, as a married lesbian chief detective of police.

I think Sky was first in it just as I was giving up on it, vaguely recall a storyline where she was basically an hipsterish MPDG who liked offbeat things until some boy who fancied her but was annoyed by the kookiness managed to convince her she was just a poser and she should be more normal, which she duly did, and this was presented as being a good thing. I may have misremembered this.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: icehaven on May 24, 2020, 07:03:51 PM
I think Sky was first in it just as I was giving up on it, vaguely recall a storyline where she was basically an hipsterish MPDG who liked offbeat things until some boy who fancied her but was annoyed by the kookiness managed to convince her she was just a poser and she should be more normal, which she duly did, and this was presented as being a good thing. I may have misremembered this.

The only thing I remember about her is that she had a kid who she insisted be allowed to roam around outside with no shoes on, then he got glass in his foot and she recanted.

Is Annalise still in it?

paruses

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 24, 2020, 08:46:33 PM
The only thing I remember about her is that she had a kid who she insisted be allowed to roam around outside with no shoes on, then he got glass in his foot and she recanted.

Is Annalise still in it?

Just realised all these names of people who were literally babies when I knew them as characters is because my memories are from the early to mid-nineties. Thrilling and depressing at the same time.

Is Charlene still in it?

paruses

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 24, 2020, 01:33:31 PM
Watched the fist 4 eps of Happy Valley last night. Never seen any of it before. CHRIST, brutal I haven't finished it yet so don't spoil.

Did it go down well here?

Not sure how it went down here but it's not really a guilty pleasure I wouldn't say. Thought S1 was a pretty solid drama that was precisely one episode too long. Didn't see the need for S2 though and didn't really enjoy it.

timebug

I thought series 1 was the stronger, but series 2 had something going for it. And both series were head and shoulders above a lot of the pap we are served lately, as 'must see' TV.

jobotic

Sky Mangel - same actress?

I stopped watching Neighbours after it went to Five becuase I hated Richard Desmond. He hasn't owned it for years has he? Is he still alive?

Gulftastic

Quote from: jobotic on May 26, 2020, 10:22:25 AM

I stopped watching Neighbours after it went to Five becuase I hated Richard Desmond. He hasn't owned it for years has he? Is he still alive?

Yes, same actress. Weathered quite well.

Quote from: jobotic on May 26, 2020, 10:22:25 AM

Yes, Steph McIntosh

Fr.Bigley

I find myself watching Michael Portillo's Bradshaws guide locomotive journey thing. Dunno why.

Because it's great, and he's a very good presenter, dress sense aside.

paruses

Quote from: timebug on May 26, 2020, 10:01:48 AM
I thought series 1 was the stronger, but series 2 had something going for it. And both series were head and shoulders above a lot of the pap we are served lately, as 'must see' TV.

I think there was just too much crying in S2. Every other scene with Raquel off Coronation Street  seemed to require her to cry. Otherwise the plotting was pretty good from what I remember. Now I'm typing this I think I might have liked it more than I thought - the main perpetrator in it plays those roles very well. I feel stressed and anxious just watching him.

Fake Edit - Sarah Lancaster/Lancashire isn't it? Terrible with names.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 26, 2020, 02:56:18 PM

Yeah got to agree his presenting style is pretty relaxing.

Quote from: paruses on May 26, 2020, 04:25:51 PM
I think there was just too much crying in S2. Every other scene with Raquel off Coronation Street  seemed to require her to cry. Otherwise the plotting was pretty good from what I remember. Now I'm typing this I think I might have liked it more than I thought - the main perpetrator in it plays those roles very well. I feel stressed and anxious just watching him.

****Spoiler Alert******

I was so pleased to see him (the perpetrator) get his head kicked in by Raquel, I thought they might not let her do that, a very satisfactory end to S1

Quote from: paruses on May 26, 2020, 04:25:51 PM

Just finished S2, really good yeah. Lots of crying but she WAS clinically depressed. Is it my imagination or is all nicely set up for a big final series.

Hand Solo

Anybody who likes Happy Valley will enjoy Sally Wainwright's earlier crime 3 parter Unforgiven, I remember it made me tear up a bit.

pigamus

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 20, 2020, 07:47:18 PM
Sky being a late in life bi-sexual is the makers righting a wrong from 15 years ago. Back then, they wanted to make her and Lana a couple, but they weren't allowed.

I'd love her to be in a spin off.

Bloody hell, I remember that. Does anyone remember them doing a Chinatown parody around this time as well? They had Boyd hit by a cricket ball so they could put the plaster on his nose, all that? Or was it a dream I had?

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 27, 2020, 11:42:29 PM
Anybody who likes Happy Valley will enjoy Sally Wainwright's earlier crime 3 parter Unforgiven, I remember it made me tear up a bit.
I'm up for that I'll have a look see if it's on netties

Natnar

Been making my way through Leverage again, yes it's a bit of a rip off of Hustle but it's still very good. Apparently it's coming back for a new series with most of the original cast back in it as well.

paruses

I quite enjoyed that. Is it on Prime/Netflix?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 26, 2020, 02:56:18 PM

You say "dress sense aside" but it is quite hard to put aside. Someone really needs to sit him down and show him A Partridge in Paris.

Sky Mangel is Harold Bishop's granddaughter, right?

Natnar

Quote from: paruses on June 01, 2020, 01:25:02 PM
I quite enjoyed that. Is it on Prime/Netflix?

Dunno if it's on a streaming service i'm watching it on DVD. The new Leverage is going to be the first show to be made on the Imdb Amazon streaming service. https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2020/04/24/leverage-reboot-coming-to-imdb-tv/

monkfromhavana

My girlfriend was bored and hungover yesterday so put Teen Mom UK on.

I can't say I enjoyed it, but it's hard to ignore something when it's on in the background constantly.

I feel so ashamed.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Natnar on June 01, 2020, 12:15:20 PM
Been making my way through Leverage again, yes it's a bit of a rip off of Hustle but it's still very good. Apparently it's coming back for a new series with most of the original cast back in it as well.
That's good news. It was one of those shows I was always pleased to find on - nice sense of humour, great cast, and I liked that it did self-contained one-episode stories (with bigger things rumbling along in the background occasionally).

My new guilty pleasure is "Holey Moley Mini Golf Challenge", which is on ABC over here in the US. It's a cross between crazy golf and Total Wipeout, and has Rob Riggle on commentary, who's decided to spend most of his time trying to make his co-presenter laugh on camera. Oh, and basketball superstar Stephen Curry is the course professional, but he spends most of his time on camera doing these weird little speeches that sometimes refer to what's gone on, and sometimes are just gags.

It's really funny and, for some reason, it's on Youtube in its entirety, from what looks like an official account.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjpPmzEiRX20xxUr2t_3A4Q

Attila

Not guilty at all: without thinking I clapped my hands and went 'Yayyy!' like a little kid when the Holby theme kicked off last night (been off the air for two months as they parcel out what episodes they have).

The last one, back in April, was pretty meh, but this one picked up with the mad as arsehole Cameron-the-villain plot. Plus further demented plotlines with the return of Guy Self. And the cherry on the bun was a subplot about a dude with a malfunctioning deep brain stimulator that was causing him to have psychotic episodes.

In the case of the latter, they had it nailed: my crazy ex had a very early version of a deep brain stimulator, and when the connections went bad, fucking hell, was he terrifying. (His later addiction to opiates only made things worse). I've never been able to explain why he acted the way he did/how he acted, as most people would LOL at the description of the DBS, but yeah. Whoever wrote that Holby episode wasn't far off from the truth of how that shit can help on the one hand, but when it fucks up...

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Attila on June 03, 2020, 07:15:01 AM
Not guilty at all: without thinking I clapped my hands and went 'Yayyy!' like a little kid when the Holby theme kicked off last night (been off the air for two months as they parcel out what episodes they have).

The last one, back in April, was pretty meh, but this one picked up with the mad as arsehole Cameron-the-villain plot. Plus further demented plotlines with the return of Guy Self. And the cherry on the bun was a subplot about a dude with a malfunctioning deep brain stimulator that was causing him to have psychotic episodes.

In the case of the latter, they had it nailed: my crazy ex had a very early version of a deep brain stimulator, and when the connections went bad, fucking hell, was he terrifying. (His later addiction to opiates only made things worse). I've never been able to explain why he acted the way he did/how he acted, as most people would LOL at the description of the DBS, but yeah. Whoever wrote that Holby episode wasn't far off from the truth of how that shit can help on the one hand, but when it fucks up...

How is Holby City different from Casualty? Are they the same hospital but one show just focuses on the A&E section? Do they share a cast?

In short, what's the point of having 2 shows?

timebug

It was explained when Holby City began, that they were set in the same hospital as 'Casualty'; but whilst the Casualty Department (A&E as we know it) was on the ground floor level, episodes of 'Holby' were on the other wards, on higher floors. Initially, the odd member of Casualty would pop up in an episode of 'Holby' to bolster the idea that it was the same place. Although in fact, if I remember rightly, the studio sets were miles apart, one being in Bristol, and the other (I think) in Birmingham!

Attila

I get'em confused constantly, but it's as Timebug says. A real revelation to me has been the opportunity recently to see the first few series of Holby: back in the 90s and early 2000s, I was coming over to the UK twice a year for only like two weeks at a time each time, so just seeing both shows as 'snapshots' I never knew what the heck was going on. For ages I thought Holby had a big heart care unit directly next door to its pediatrics, but seeing the show unspool more slowly a lot of puzzle pieces (and character background) are falling into place.

And yes, in these old Holbys I'm trawling through now, they have a number of crossovers -- Finn the Casualty paramedia has shown up a few times, and Charlie Fairhead was in the first Holby episode.

Yes! They're filmed miles apart. They're not in Bristol anymore, b ut when they were so, so many characters had wonderful west country accents. I also like spotting the star -- whether it's someone before they were famous in an older one, or someone getting work in in their twilight years. Julian Glover showed up on one of the old Holbys I looked at the other day.

I have zero idea why I like these two mad shows as much as I do -- I do'nt get time to watch much TV, so generally really pick and chose rather stingily what I have time to see -- these two are non-negotiable every week (Casualty on Sunday morning is the ritual). It may go back to childhood and watching American shows like Emergency! with my non-tosser brother.

Another big part of it is being introduced to Casualty by my auntie in Scotland back in the 90s, who told me it was the best comedy on television, and going into that first episode thinking it was a comedy. My auntie's never missed an episode, and giggles herself silly; it's a joy to watch it with her. Also, we get into long discussions about the characters and all the stuff that the writers have long-since forgot about their characters, especially the scandalous stuff, or stuff like Ric Griffith on Holby having basically cancer of every major organ, but a quick evisceration on the operating table, and he was right as rain. Ric also killed someone a few years back, deliberately ran him over with his car, and it's never been mentioned again or come back to haunt him.

It's also hilarious that people who have brain surgery are perky and talking the next day. Or seeing doctors and nurses in the operation theatre still wearing earrings and other jewelry.

I love these shows so much.

JesusAndYourBush

When Henrik Hanssen was CEO he often appeared in both shows.  More characters should appear in both, it's a missed opportunity not to have brief appearances such as someone saying hello to a character from the other show as they walk across the car park or having someone from the other show in the background during scenes in the local pub across the road.

magval

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 01, 2020, 08:27:29 PM
My girlfriend was bored and hungover yesterday so put Teen Mom UK on.

I can't say I enjoyed it, but it's hard to ignore something when it's on in the background constantly.

I feel so ashamed.

Bob Mortimer's favourite TV show, that.

My wife watches all those 'vapid American lifestyle' shows, like Real Housewives and such. I happened to see a lot of one recently called Shahs of Sunset which has a guy in it called Reza who's basically a Tekken baddie.