Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TV Guilty pleasures [split topic]

Started by PowerButchi, January 21, 2020, 07:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: timebug on June 03, 2020, 10:43:54 AMAlthough in fact, if I remember rightly, the studio sets were miles apart, one being in Bristol, and the other (I think) in Birmingham!

I never watch either, but on top of that, I believe that the outside view of the "hospital" is the office block at BBC Elstree in Borehamwood, just yards away from the Eastenders set.

Blue Jam

The interiors for Holby City and Casualty used to be filmed at the engineering department of Queen Mary University of London. At least they were when I lived in Mile End, and you could walk past and see the building all lit up and full of hospital beds.

Cerys

I will always love Holby City for having two characters named Trey Stone and Matt Parker.  Not that I've watched it in years.

Bently Sheds

Mrs Sheds has been watching the rebooted Dynasty on Netflix. Most of it is impenetrable as I'm only catching a scene here and there (but can hear it from my workspace in the other room) but I am pretty sure it's a massive piss take.

Most episodes will have a musical number where a character breaks into song. There are really cheesy jokes and puns in the script and the most ludicrous plotlines are played dead straight (two characters broke into a Scientology like cult to rescue someone they both didn't like, performed an impromptu song in front of a cult gathering and then got kicked out without rescuing their target). Oh, and Jim Robinson from Neighbours is in it as butler with a very dodgy New Zealand accent (he name checked Split Enz in one scene to cement his Kiwi-ness).

If I'm not careful I think I could get addicted to it...

Bently Sheds

It's definitely tongue in cheek, Danny Trejo has appeared as himself in one character's hallucination.

phes

It's not a guilty pleasure in my mind at all as I think it's one of the best reality competition shows ever made, but Alone S7 began last night. I usually start a thread but in several attempts is hasn't generated pretty much any responses whatsoever, so I'll stick it here. Season 7's twist is that it's not an open ended challenge to outsurvive the other contestants, but to make 100 days, in the Arctic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_(TV_series)

Sad to report I'm completely hooked on the 90 Day Fiance franchise, specifically 90 Day Fiance: Before the 90 Days. One of the most entertaining reality shows ever, though definitely a very guilty pleasure.

Any other fans on here?

Attila

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 18, 2020, 04:35:21 AM
Sad to report I'm completely hooked on the 90 Day Fiance franchise, specifically 90 Day Fiance: Before the 90 Days. One of the most entertaining reality shows ever, though definitely a very guilty pleasure.

Any other fans on here?

I've seen highlights of a few episodes. It's a glorious trainwreck.

paruses

Anyone got anywhere with 60 Days In? It's the US reality show where some tools volunteer to go undercover as prison inmates as "it's the only way" to give accurate feedback and report back to the warden on the state of the jail (gaol).

It's a promising start feeling spoilt for choice who to hate most and who you want to be shivved first but then they go to the prison and it's probably more boring than being in prison yourself but without the stress to keep you going. At least in Big Brother people talked to each other. This is mainly a contestant shuffling around and sitting on their own at a table.

Surprise contestant though - Mohammed Ali's daughter who seems pretty decent. Maybe it is amazing 5 episodes on but I can't get that far.

ollyboro

Fuck me. She's watching the American version of Married At First Sight.  The subject of wedding night sex has just raised its swollen, purple head. The bride's father has just sat his new son-in-law down and told him that whilst he appreciates it's his wedding night, he doesn't want him to force his daughter into doing anything she doesn't feel comfortable with. Sounds a bit like "please don't rape my daughter". Which is surely the bare minimum to ask for.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 18, 2020, 04:35:21 AM

Any other fans on here?

It's fucking great. One of my favourite TV scenes of all time is from this, a couple of series ago (?) when lovely, gullible Caesar is waiting on his bed in the hotel room in Mexico waiting for his never-to-be-turning-up-catfishing Russian lady to arrive. He turns wistfully, and looks at the gifts he has purchased for her - several packs of edible crotchless panties. Stunning desolation.

And Ed, who has apparently mislaid his neck somewhere, is great in the latest series (and also was quite a looker back in his college days)

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: ollyboro on June 29, 2020, 08:14:46 PM
Fuck me. She's watching the American version of Married At First Sight.

I watched a bit of the Australian version of this tonight (I'd never heard of it before your post) and I've never felt more affinity with boomers. What a ghastly concept.

ollyboro

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 02, 2020, 10:49:23 PM
I watched a bit of the Australian version of this tonight (I'd never heard of it before your post) and I've never felt more affinity with boomers. What a ghastly concept.

When they make their vows in the American version....Jesus.  It's full of stuff like, "I promise to open my big heart to your big heart and leave no part of my generous soul unknown to you." I've been with my better half for over 15 years and I wouldn't dream of coming out with that, let alone to some orange person with spectacularly straight, white teeth I'd only just met.

ollyboro

Heads up for BBC2, Sunday, 10pm - The Kemps: All True. Spandau Ballet's Kemp brothers have attempted a spoof documentary about themselves. Think Curb Your Enthusiasm/Spinal Tap, but starring two blokes who know Tony Hadley. It could be awful. Or good.

Gurke and Hare

Yeah, for one of the ones I watched tonight the couple had written their own vows, which, how does that work? The whole point of writing your own vows is that they encapsulate all that you love about each other, and have special meaning that relates to all you've experienced together.

Also, one of the people was a single parent which is very weird. If you want to impose a random person into your own life like that, then I think you're daft but you do you. Imposing them on your child as well though? Jesus, no. If that's not grounds for losing custody, it should be.

ollyboro

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 02, 2020, 11:20:30 PM
Yeah, for one of the ones I watched tonight the couple had written their own vows, which, how does that work? The whole point of writing your own vows is that they encapsulate all that you love about each other, and have special meaning that relates to all you've experienced together.

Also, one of the people was a single parent which is very weird. If you want to impose a random person into your own life like that, then I think you're daft but you do you. Imposing them on your child as well though? Jesus, no. If that's not grounds for losing custody, it should be.

As a bare minimum you'd want a  DBS check.

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on July 02, 2020, 02:48:50 PM
It's fucking great. One of my favourite TV scenes of all time is from this, a couple of series ago (?) when lovely, gullible Caesar is waiting on his bed in the hotel room in Mexico waiting for his never-to-be-turning-up-catfishing Russian lady to arrive. He turns wistfully, and looks at the gifts he has purchased for her - several packs of edible crotchless panties. Stunning desolation.

And Ed, who has apparently mislaid his neck somewhere, is great in the latest series (and also was quite a looker back in his college days)

Can't wait, I've just started the season with Caesar.

Big Ed was great, though for me the real star of that season was Baby Girl Lisa, who is by far the more irredeemable character I have ever seen on a reality TV show. Bonus highlight of that season is the momentary shot of Lana (who was either paid by TLC or coerced by her employers at the scam dating website to finally show up) after David bowls a strike that supposedly requires her to kiss him.

Gulftastic

When I'm watching Forged In Fire and American Pickers I see loads of ads for shows hunting lost treasure hordes. Has any of these ever ended with them finding the gold?

Blue Jam

Not a big fan of Masterchef, mainly because Egg Wallace does my fucking nut in, but Tommy Pillahs and John Barnes are on the celebrity edition so I have been tuning in.

I'm enjoying the millennial environmental travel show hosted by Zac Efron and a hippy dippy aging surfer dude on Netflix. The first two episodes about hydro power and water x spirituality were oddly informative.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 15, 2020, 07:02:24 AM
When I'm watching Forged In Fire and American Pickers I see loads of ads for shows hunting lost treasure hordes. Has any of these ever ended with them finding the gold?

This is a serious question. Does anyone know? I saw that youtube thing about the Hunting Hitler shitheads and it mentioned the Oak Island nonsense, but was the Confederate Gold ever found, or the Nazi gold?

Icehaven

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 15, 2020, 07:02:24 AM

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 18, 2020, 11:13:56 AM
This is a serious question. Does anyone know? I saw that youtube thing about the Hunting Hitler shitheads and it mentioned the Oak Island nonsense, but was the Confederate Gold ever found, or the Nazi gold?

I consider them in the same category as shows about ghost hunting and Bigfoot, the game's up and everyone's out of a job if you look for something you may actually find so it's much better for your TV career to make shows about searching for things that don't exist.

paruses

Is Forged in Fire that sword making programme?

Gulftastic

Quote from: paruses on July 18, 2020, 05:56:09 PM
Is Forged in Fire that sword making programme?

Swords, daggers, hatchets, rapiers, spears. If it kills, they make it!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: icehaven on July 18, 2020, 04:26:59 PM
I consider them in the same category as shows about ghost hunting and Bigfoot, the game's up and everyone's out of a job if you look for something you may actually find so it's much better for your TV career to make shows about searching for things that don't exist.

See also 'Ancient Aliens'.   You only have to look at how many seasons there are to see how deep they're scraping that barrel.

Even 'Nasa's Unexplained Files' which started off dealing with genuine mysteries went off into the realms of (really bad) science fiction by season 4.

buttgammon

Silly question but is there any factual historical or scientific content on those channels any more? (I know there isn't).

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: buttgammon on July 19, 2020, 10:32:50 AM
Silly question but is there any factual historical or scientific content on those channels any more? (I know there isn't).

It's weird because the History channel has a really good website with proper historical articles, but turn the TV on and it's all junk shops and aliens.

Marner and Me

History Channel is shite, I guess it is easy money sticking a camera in a Pawn Shop or filming on a trawler than actually going out and researching a factual documentary.

buttgammon

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 19, 2020, 12:56:12 PM
It's weird because the History channel has a really good website with proper historical articles, but turn the TV on and it's all junk shops and aliens.

Maybe it just hasn't caught up with the way TV has changed?

Blue Jam

I think Ronnie O'Sullivan's American Hustle was on The History Channel. That show does take in a few visits to museums but it's mostly visits to pool halls.