Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grammar

Started by bgmnts, February 24, 2020, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

Their is always room for alot of improvement but dont worry to much about it - your probably alright. Grammer doesn't really effect much as long as you can still be understood. Whose gonna care apart from weirdo grammar nazis?  And there probably just jealous because they could of had an actual life rather then sitting around correcting people.

SteK

Quote from: Noonling on February 25, 2020, 12:40:19 PM
Their is always room for alot of improvement but dont worry to much about it - your probably alright. Grammer doesn't really effect much as long as you can still be understood. Whose gonna care apart from weirdo grammar nazis?  And there probably just jealous because they could of had an actual life rather then sitting around correcting people.

Grammer?

Ray Travez

Quote from: SteK on February 25, 2020, 12:43:28 PM
Grammer?

If you reed it again, you'll sea the point that is being maid ;)

Cerys

MiddleRabbit

It's much harder to read though.

A similar argument could be made for driving on the wrong side of the road: people won't just crash into you, they'll swerve around you, but everything's much easier and more straightforward if writers of a language adhere to the same rules.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on February 25, 2020, 01:24:07 PM
It's much harder to read though.

Agreed - I spent longer trying to figure out your intended there/their/they're than it would've done to read the sentence had the grammar been correct.

But then that might just be a reflection of how much of a dumbass I am, so fair.

Cerys

My bugbears?  Ahem:

From/to whence/hence/thence

Between you and I

Whom are you?

I'm not a grammar nazi, but I do possess an axe and I know how to use it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Cerys on February 26, 2020, 02:08:35 PM
My bugbears?  Ahem:

Between you and I

Whom are you?

You're also quite the expert at removing peoples' legs.  Let's not forget that...

"That Cerys - she loves cats, BUT she's fucking lethal!"

Cerys

I have so far removed no legs.  Unless you count flies when I was a burgeoning future serial killer as a child.  Jason Carter's limbs are (mostly) safe.

SteK

"Should The United Kingdom leave the European Union?"

Always struck me as poor grammar, to me 'should' implies 'maybe, not definitely'

Noonling

Quote from: Cerys on February 26, 2020, 02:08:35 PM
My bugbears?  Ahem:

Between you and I

Whom are you?

If someone says "me and my friend gave Boris some poisoned chocolates" I don't mind because its so common that I barely notice it. But if someone says "Boris gave my friend and I some poisoned chocolates" then it just sounds like someone is being both smug and wrong.

I'm never 100% confident on whom thus I don't use it, while whence/hence/thence seems too archaic - even if I managed to use them correctly I'd still sound like a git.

Cerys

That's just it - 'me and him did that' is so widely used as to hve become acceptable.  'Whom are you?' smacks of 'oh, my grammar is so much better than yours', which is why it's so great to hear it used by people you don't like.  The easiest way to remember when to use it is to ask yourself if you would use 'he' or 'him' in th clause concerned.  'Him' and it's 'whom', 'he' and it's 'who'.  Another useful trick is to get all mathematical about it and strip your sentence down to its simplest form - so 'they gave it to you and I' becomes 'they gave it to I', which neatly shows why 'you and I' is incorrect in that context.

With 'whence', etc, the easy thing to remember is that it means 'from/to where', with 'hence' being the same with 'here' and 'thence' with 'there'.

Sin Agog

I just love reading emails from my severely dyslexic dad.  They're like unusually inventive Zelda puzzles.

SteK

English used to be an inflected language and retains remnants of it, namely the genitive and possessive cases, ie, He -> him -> his, I -> me -> mine, eg you don't say I love she etc...

And I understand 'whom' is a remnant of accusative case, though I'd argue it was dative, as dative case implies an action to something.

Cerys

I'm ashamed to say I know none of this - we were never taught it in school, so I'm left knowing what to use without knowing why.

As the actress said to the bishop.

touchingcloth

I can't help but think that homophobes are people who have realised that they are a little bit gay, but haven't realised that literally everyone is on the spectrum somewhere, and it's something to embrace and accept rather than something to pretend isn't the case. I like Marlon Brando's take on things:

QuoteLike a large number of men, I, too, have had homosexual experiences and I am not ashamed. I have never paid much attention to what people think about me. But if there is someone who is convinced that Jack Nicholson and I are lovers, may they continue to do so. I find it amusing.

The ultimate answer, though, is patriarchy, innit? One way it perpetuates itself is by policing notions of masculinity, so certain men feel backed into a place where they have to vocally deny the very thought they could possibly be the slightest tiny bit gay.

The kind of bores in the OP are fucking tragic. It's depressing to know that the only reason they go on about "chutney ferrets" is because they have had more interactions where people have nodded and chuckled along with them rather than told them to keep their cunt thoughts to themselves. It's like my sister-in-law, who noisily tries to troll us when we see her by talking about the "lolocaust" while we steadfastly refuse to take the bait. It's not hard to see why when you look at her social media, cos it's equal parts friends and strangers calling her a twat or agreeing un-ironically about how lol genocides are, and adding their own edgy bants to one-up her.

Pink Gregory

Is it a common customer service phone script now for people to say 'yourself' instead of 'you'?

When did that start happening?

SteK

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 26, 2020, 07:48:13 PM
Is it a common customer service phone script now for people to say 'yourself' instead of 'you'?

A few years ago they started referring to people - footballers for me but anyone really, as say 'The Wales Centre-half' - before it was the 'The Welsh Centre-half' - the former is correct grammatically, but it's sounds wrong based on common usage - to me anyway...

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 26, 2020, 07:48:13 PM

It's a vocal tic of many people trying to sound "formal", I think. "Any teas, coffees, soft drinks, popcorn or programmes for yourselves?" It's the posh form of "you", innit.

Another thing I've noticed is the insertion of superfluous "do"s into people's speech. I've noticed it when the flight attendants on budget flights saying "welcome aboard this Ryanair flight, where we do have a selection of hot and cold drinks and snacks for yourselves and we do have Euromillions scratchcards for just £10 special price".

People tie themselves up with reflexive pronouns used incorrectly, especially when they try and throw in possessives. "Well the formal version of 'you' is 'yourself', so the possessive form must be...'yourself's'? 'Did yourself's scratchcard win the jackpot?'"

bgmnts

I've genuinely never had a homosexual experience which disappoints.

weekender

Quote from: bgmnts on February 26, 2020, 08:16:22 PM
I've genuinely never had a homosexual experience which disappoints.

*Posts a punctuation thread joke involving a semi-colon*

Blue Jam

chveik

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 26, 2020, 07:38:10 PM
I can't help but think that homophobes are people who have realised that they are a little bit gay, but haven't realised that literally everyone is on the spectrum somewhere, and it's something to embrace and accept rather than something to pretend isn't the case. I like Marlon Brando's take on things:

The ultimate answer, though, is patriarchy, innit? One way it perpetuates itself is by policing notions of masculinity, so certain men feel backed into a place where they have to vocally deny the very thought they could possibly be the slightest tiny bit gay.

The kind of bores in the OP are fucking tragic. It's depressing to know that the only reason they go on about "chutney ferrets" is because they have had more interactions where people have nodded and chuckled along with them rather than told them to keep their cunt thoughts to themselves. It's like my sister-in-law, who noisily tries to troll us when we see her by talking about the "lolocaust" while we steadfastly refuse to take the bait. It's not hard to see why when you look at her social media, cos it's equal parts friends and strangers calling her a twat or agreeing un-ironically about how lol genocides are, and adding their own edgy bants to one-up her.

wrong thread?

Blue Jam

Nope, he was talking about homophones.

touchingcloth

kalowski

Quote from: Cerys on February 26, 2020, 04:34:17 PM
That's just it - 'me and him did that' is so widely used as to hve become acceptable.  'Whom are you?' smacks of 'oh, my grammar is so much better than yours', which is why it's so great to hear it used by people you don't like.  The easiest way to remember when to use it is to ask yourself if you would use 'he' or 'him' in th clause concerned.  'Him' and it's 'whom', 'he' and it's 'who'.  Another useful trick is to get all mathematical about it and strip your sentence down to its simplest form - so 'they gave it to you and I' becomes 'they gave it to I', which neatly shows why 'you and I' is incorrect in that context.

With 'whence', etc, the easy thing to remember is that it means 'from/to where', with 'hence' being the same with 'here' and 'thence' with 'there'.
Similarly with wherefore and therefore. You don't hear "wherefore" very often any more.