Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best (read worst) Cover Band Names

Started by SteK, February 25, 2020, 03:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteK

1. Oasisn't
2. Earth, Wind, For Hire
3. ZZ Top O' the Mornin' (Irish)
4. Metal Licker (Metallica)

flotemysost

None of the following are real acts (as far I know), but my dad and I used to play a stupid game where we'd say a band or performer and see who could come up with the most ridiculous tribute act name. Some contenders included:

Fiberace
Robbed Williams/Fobbie Williams
Quorn Loaf

JesusAndYourBush

Stickleback

(And just to be clear, that's a real tribute band, not a reply to flotemysost's idea.)

Nearly went to see one called Faith No More or Less on Friday, but never

SteK

There's Right Said Frank from Phoenix Nights.....

alan nagsworth

Just googled one I came up with ages ago, and turns out it already exists. That in itself was unsurprising as the name isn't exactly a stroke of genius, but learning that Faux-asis are "the middle east's only Oasis tribute band" certainly got a grim chuckle out of me. Fuck me, they're awful.

Famous Mortimer

SteK

I friend of mine is the drummer in The Smiths Ltd, not even a good name!

There's The Clone Roses too, I wonder if their singer is proper shit like Ian Brown is...

Fake That, obvs....

Got another mate in The Buzzkocks, that's really poor. And another is lead singer in the Scopyions (geddit?)

Captain Crunch

I've spotted a couple who play on their northern location; there's Slipnowt and the North East Street Band, I'm sure there's more out there.

Are It Aint Half Biscuit Mum still going? 

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: SteK on February 25, 2020, 06:00:48 PM
I friend of mine is the drummer in The Smiths Ltd, not even a good name!

Schneider TM tribute band?

holyzombiejesus

Aint Etienne
You're Not My Real Múm
The Notnotwist / The Notwisn't

non capisco

Are We Them? (REM)

That's a real one, by the way.

alan nagsworth

Apt Funk was another one I was quite pleased with. Imagine that name in the liquid chrome "Discovery" design, cunts would come rolling in to see you play. Fucking hell, Apt Funk! Can't wait to go out and see these lads replicate some of the biggest and best French house music the world has ever seen. But then comes the hurdle of trying to work out how to do a tribute act of a largely-electronic band. How would you pull that off?

My friends, I have already thought this through.

You'd come out with your full band complete with bargain bin Nile Rodgers lookalike, the singer (could be anyone, who cares) announces 'Good evening, we're Apt Funk, and you people are about to get lucky...' and you'd start playing "Get Lucky". The singer does the first line, 'Like the legend of my penis...' and then doesn't sing another word, just stands there half-arsed dancing and occasionally having a sip of lager for the rest of the set, which would be an extended 40 minute jam of the "Get Lucky" instrumental. No crowd singing allowed.

Cheapo Rodgers grins from behind his shades, occasionally giving a cool nod to the drummer as if something's about to happen, but it never does. There's no sign of the people supposed to be playing the parts of de Homem-Christo or Bangalter. Practically no consideration has gone into this act whatsoever.

Then, as the tune finally draws to a close after 40 drab soulless minutes and the drummer rattles the splash cymbal and rolls out a couple of unremarkable fills, 'We've been Apt Funk, and you just got lucky...' Band exits stage. No encore.

Jockice

In my early music writing days I did an article on a Beatles tribute band called the Ersatz Beatles. Which is a shit name. Just to make it even worse I misheard the band member I spoke to so they went into the paper as Who's That? Beatles.  Which I think is a far better name but they weren't happy. Maybe I should have tried to get them to do a few Townshend and Barlow numbers as well.

purlieu

To this day I find it astonishing to believe that, at the peak / tipping point of britpop, Oasis tribute band No Way Sis actually charted. And played Top of the Pops. There is no single nadir of culture, obviously, but those three minutes of television were a nadir of culture.

Jockice

We Are Not Devo. Who I saw last year and really enjoyed.

non capisco

Take me down to the Summer Night City!

NoSleep

There's another ABBA hybrid band called GABBA, that do ABBA songs in the style of the Ramones.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: NoSleep on February 25, 2020, 08:51:58 PM
There's another ABBA hybrid band called GABBA, that do ABBA songs in the style of the Ramones.

There's also Abba Gabba. *roll eyes*

Jockice

A punk covers band made up of infants. Babysham 69.

purlieu

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 25, 2020, 08:54:07 PM
There's also Abba Gabba. *roll eyes*
My first ever 'release' included a gabber cover of an Abba song. At least I was only 16 at the time.

holyzombiejesus

Saw a poster in the window of a Nantwich pub once. "Pete Loaf: he's a real dead ringer for Meat"

olliebean

Quote from: non capisco on February 25, 2020, 06:42:17 PM
Are We Them? (REM)

Do they have the bracketed clarification included as part of their name? Extra points if they do.

non capisco

Quote from: olliebean on February 25, 2020, 09:44:37 PM
Do they have the bracketed clarification included as part of their name? Extra points if they do.

I am delighted to say that they do. Well, did. I have no idea whether or not Are We Them? (REM) are still a going concern.

TheMonk

Proxy Music
Les Zeppelin
Fake That
Not The Hoople
Surely Bassy
UB40 featuring Ali Campbell and Astro

I've always wanted to start a band called The Bronski Beatles and just read Beatles lyrics over a karaoke track of Smalltown Boy.

non capisco

Proxy Music has to be the winner if that's a real one.

Quote from: non capisco on February 25, 2020, 06:42:17 PM
Are We Them? (REM)

I hope there's one called Imitation of Stipe.