Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:43:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Duffy held captive for a few days.

Started by bgmnts, February 25, 2020, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/25/duffy-raped-drugged-held-captive-opens-horrific-ordeal-12302931/

Bit of a shocking story about the Welsh singer Duffy who had peak career around late 00s if you all remember.

Don't know what to say about this story other than no wonder she went off the radar, awful stuff.

Glebe

Oh fuck that's awful. Just glad to hear she's recovering.

alan nagsworth

Bloody hell that is horrific. I'm pleased she's finally found the strength to open up and confront it like this.

Shit Good Nose

Blimey, I'd COMPLETELY forgotten about her, and I saw her supporting the Dixie Chicks in the mid 00s.

She went through some fairly tough times as a child as well:
QuoteIn September 1998, at the age of 14, Duffy was briefly put in a police safe house when authorities uncovered a plot by her stepfather's ex-wife to pay an assassin £3,000 to kill her stepfather, Philip Smith. Smith's ex-wife, Dawn Watson, was sentenced to a 3½-year jail term for soliciting to murder. "I was so terrified. I felt so ill", Duffy recounted in 2008, as reported by the NME and The Sun. Duffy describes living in the safe house as a dog-eat-dog, claustrophobic and isolating experience. Aged 15, she ran away back to her father's home in Nefyn. Duffy said in retrospect, "It was a horrendous thing to do." Her mother and her sisters did not speak to her for about a year afterward. In reaction to her parents' break-up, her next three years were a rebellious period that included binge drinking and stealing a rowing boat.

The rowing boat theft is kind of a disappointing ending after everything before...

gilbertharding

I was kind of glad she disappeared to be honest. Her songs - along with Rock Star by Nickleback - were the unwanted soundtrack to the summer the Global Financial Crisis caused the construction industry to crash, heralding two years of jobless hopelessness for me.

My Father in Law also really liked her, but for some reason also took great delight in going on about having discovered a way of downloading music for free. When it looked as if she'd left the music business, I tried to tease him by making out it was the fault of people like him stealing off her, but he wouldn't have it.

Also the Diet Coke advert was dreadful.

Obviously had no idea the real reason she went away. Hope she's alright - the Poundshop Amy Winehouse.

Crabwalk

What better time to list your petty gripes about Duffy.

gilbertharding

There is never a bad time - that's my motto.

Dr Syntax Head

That's fucking harsh. I always thought her music was decent.

Thomas

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 26, 2020, 10:19:40 AM
I was kind of glad she disappeared to be honest.

Given the horrifying context we now have, I think you could have phrased this better/omitted it entirely.

As to your father-in-law's music theft, Googling Duffy's name brings this up:

QuoteDuffy has said that she did not mind people illegally downloading her music because she believes most people who do are kids who cannot afford the CDs and will buy them when they get older.

(Though I presume your father-in-law is not a penniless child).

Though I had no particular awareness or opinion of her music, she always seemed like a decent person (see above) and a listenable pop star who struggled with the batshitness of suddenly being famous. I was shocked to see this news amid the headlines earlier.

bgmnts

Mercy was a proper banger in my opinion

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: bgmnts on February 26, 2020, 12:07:31 PM
Mercy was a proper banger in my opinion

Totally agree it was ace. The video with the northern soul guys was cool too

gilbertharding

Quote from: Thomas on February 26, 2020, 12:01:52 PM
Given the horrifying context we now have, I think you could have phrased this better/omitted it entirely.

Clearly what I meant was, I was glad she disappeared, when I was under the impression it was because her career had run its course.

Do you literally want me to type 'of course, now I know the real reason, I am shocked that this has happened to her'?

Fucking hell.

gilbertharding

gilbertharding's got a photo of serial killer John Wayne Gacy as his avatar.  Enough said.

holyzombiejesus

Imagine finding out that a woman was kindnapped, drugged and raped, and thinking 'now to stick the boot in!'.

lankyguy95

Horrific stuff. Can only imagine the damage that does to you. Very glad to hear she's doing a bit better now.

Cuellar

I hope they've got the bastard (or bitch, could be a lady).

TheMonk

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 26, 2020, 01:13:35 PM
Clearly what I meant was, I was glad she disappeared, when I was under the impression it was because her career had run its course.

Do you literally want me to type 'of course, now I know the real reason, I am shocked that this has happened to her'?

Fucking hell.

What an awful world this can be.

Jerzy Bondov

I saw the headline 'Duffy reveals why she disappeared from the public eye' and I laughed to myself that it was because she was shite, ho ho ho. Then I clicked on the link and I thought, fucking hell that's grim. Now I will only be able to say she was shite if I couch it in a story about how I initially had an insensitive reaction but on learning further details felt genuine remorse. And I thought, I'll do that. I admit my initial reaction was wrong. Being shite is no reason to stop being a successful pop star.

Presumably it was some record industry cunt that did it.

Brundle-Fly

Side thought: Interesting that Duffy's career was kick-started by the folk at Rough Trade and nurtured by Bernard Butler.

This whole horrific story reminded me of what happened to Daniella Westbrook, which at first I was a bit skeptical about, seeing as she courts the tabloids at any cost to her personal life and sanity, but then why would you make up something like this?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/danniella-westbrook-kidnapped-gunmen-raped-1830898

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 27, 2020, 10:33:12 AM
Side thought: Interesting that Duffy's career was kick-started by the folk at Rough Trade and nurtured by Bernard Butler.

This whole horrific story reminded me of what happened to Daniella Westbrook, which at first I was a bit skeptical about, seeing as she courts the tabloids at any cost to her personal life and sanity, but then why would you make up something like this?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/danniella-westbrook-kidnapped-gunmen-raped-1830898

1994?

"...walk back home without a phone to contact anyone"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Gilbert 'Satan' HardingHope she's alright

How dare you!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 27, 2020, 12:23:44 PM
1994?

"...walk back home without a phone to contact anyone"

I can't imagine she had anything but the clothes she stood in when (if) they kidnapped her, let alone any phone or money.

Bazooka

Mercy is subjectively and objectively sonic stomach ache sewage, but she didn't deserve that.

This crime also happened to Terry Hall on a school trip to France so I fear it is more common than  many people realize.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 28, 2020, 12:42:32 AM
This crime also happened to Terry Hall on a school trip to France so I fear it is more common than  many people realize.

You're not thinking of Bonnie Tyler? Because it turned out she was just lost.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 27, 2020, 10:27:51 PM
I can't imagine she had anything but the clothes she stood in when (if) they kidnapped her, let alone any phone or money.

I mean, the story suggested she may have had a mobile phone - but they were pretty rare in 1994? A comment on the lack of rigour by the "journalist"

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 28, 2020, 09:24:25 AM
You're not thinking of Bonnie Tyler? Because it turned out she was just lost.

You've confused Bonnie Tyler with Lloyd Cole and France with a weekend in a hotel in Amsterdam.

You're welcome.