Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Duffy held captive for a few days.

Started by bgmnts, February 25, 2020, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 28, 2020, 10:14:41 AM
I mean, the story suggested she may have had a mobile phone - but they were pretty rare in 1994? A comment on the lack of rigour by the "journalist"

Well, I remember a student's mobile phone ringing in a lecture when I was in my first year at college, in 1994.

I remember it, because of the pandemonium it caused. Everyone thought the guy was a wanker - both because he was a student with a mobile phone in 1994 (people were familiar with mobile phones for company directors, sales reps and other grown ups by then), and because he was, in fact, a wanker.

buzby

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 28, 2020, 10:14:41 AM
I mean, the story suggested she may have had a mobile phone - but they were pretty rare in 1994? A comment on the lack of rigour by the "journalist"
1994 was the year that GSM-based mobile networks really took off in the UK (GSM having been introduced in the UK by Vodafone in December 1991). Mercury launched their One2One network in September 1993 with Motorola M200 phones, offering free weekend and evening calls, BT 's CellNet GSM network launched in December 1993 and Hutchison launched their Orange network in April 1994 with Nokia 2110 phones.

BlodwynPig

Dewt

Quote from: buzby on February 28, 2020, 11:25:23 AM
1994 was the year that GSM-based mobile networks really took off in the UK (GSM having been introduced in the UK by Vodafone in December 1991). Mercury launched their One2One network in September 1993 with Motorola M200 phones, offering free weekend and evening calls, BT 's CellNet GSM network launched in December 1993 and Hutchison launched their Orange network in April 1994 with Nokia 2110 phones.
You ever read the chapter about the early (pre-digital) mobile phone network rollouts in the book Backroom Boys? It's good reading.

This is the Caroline Flack thread rebooted.

chveik

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 28, 2020, 11:48:20 PM
This is the Caroline Flack thread rebooted.

We're talking about mobile phones in the early to mid nineties.

beanheadmcginty

At least she was well versed in a song with extremely appropriate lyrics for her situation.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 29, 2020, 12:24:58 AM
We're talking about mobile phones in the early to mid nineties.

In a thread about an abduction and rape, in which the phone topic was introduced to cast doubt on her account.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 29, 2020, 04:28:42 PM
In a thread about an abduction and rape, in which the phone topic was introduced to cast doubt on her account.

Nope, that was Westbrook...and the doubt was the journalist piece

Butchers Blind

PaulTMA

Quote from: Cuellar on February 26, 2020, 03:26:24 PM
I hope they've got the bastard (or bitch, could be a lady).

This made me LOL way more than it should have done

gilbertharding

There'll be no laughing in this thread, thank you.

Butchers Blind

BlodwynPig

For those of a strong constitution - her words

https://www.duffywords.com

I guess a wealthy man with his own plane, possibly arabic (made to walk behind him). whatever, cunt and hopefully dead now.

Shaky

It's all a horrible story, obviously, but this bit really got to me:

QuoteIt was being told by a male, I had come to know and really like as a friend, that "most men would run a mile if they knew you were raped". I crumbled.

Not only total bullshit, but who says that sort of thing to a friend??

SteveDave

When I read this on Wales Online yesterday the advert in the middle of the piece was for a Ted Bundy book. Not now adverts. Not now.

imitationleather

Quote from: SteveDave on April 06, 2020, 12:19:31 PM
When I read this on Wales Online yesterday the advert in the middle of the piece was for a Ted Bundy book. Not now adverts. Not now.

Almost definitely a targeted ad based on your previous online activity. No one to blame but yourself!

SteveDave

Quote from: imitationleather on April 06, 2020, 12:23:28 PM
Almost definitely a targeted ad based on your previous online activity. No one to blame but yourself!

Or Tim Berners-Lee?