Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Popular Songs That Include The Sounds Of Machinery Or Household Items

Started by TheMonk, February 25, 2020, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

9 To 5 by Dolly Parton (typewriter)
Silly Love Songs by Wings (some sort of factory / whistle set up)

famethrowa

Allentown by Billy Joel, a lot of clunking and hooting there

Welcome to the Machine, Pink Floyd has a lots of intriguing mechanical sounds, but they may be synth-generated.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: the on February 25, 2020, 10:05:05 PM
The Moog Cookbook remix of Novocaine For the Soul has a car alarm solo

You know that car alarm didn't see a PENNY from that track.  Thankfully he still gets cheques every six months from his appearance on this blistering blockbusting smash top hit from around the same time: 

Done Lying Down - Just a Misdemeanor

mojo filters

Money by Pink Floyd effectively integrates the ringing cash register sound, into the innovative 5/4 time signature of the main body of the song (the subsequent change to common time is attributed by Roger Waters to allow Dave Gilmour to let loose with his strat-tastic soloing!)

bomb_dog

Morrissey's Speedway has a chainsaw in it. Or at least it sounds like it.

Quote"There's a school of thought that says Morrissey pre-empted Eminem during the opening of this track by using a chain-saw for dramatic effect. "It's not a chain-saw," Jonny Bridgewood insists. "It's engineer Danton Supple will a drill. I am positive about that. He told me afterwards."

Dewt

Are You Being Served? theme
I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day

And that's why I fell for the leader of the pack vroom vroom

Motorbike

famethrowa

Quote from: mojo filters on February 25, 2020, 11:44:13 PM
Money by Pink Floyd effectively integrates the ringing cash register sound, into the innovative 5/4 time signature of the main body of the song (the subsequent change to common time is attributed by Roger Waters to allow Dave Gilmour to let loose with his strat-tastic soloing!)

errr it's in 7/4

mrfridge

U2 - Numb (video remix)

https://youtu.be/MCHBNhFBXUE

And (sort of) similarly:

Coldcut - Timber

https://youtu.be/z-jK46PEwcs

Loads of Matthew Herbert stuff too.

Jockice

Quote from: Misspent Boners on February 26, 2020, 01:59:06 AM
And that's why I fell for the leader of the pack vroom vroom

Motorbike

And Motorbike Beat by The Revillos while we're at it.

Sebastian Cobb

Stardust's Music Sounds Better With You sounds like it's got a dot matrix printer in it, but doesn't.

Head Gardener

the new 1hr+ long Arca single sounds like a lot of household items played at once, backwards

Norton Canes

Sorry, can we not post spoiler pictures from Chris Chibnall's Cyberman finale on Sunday?

Norton Canes

Anyway plenty of Depeche Mode songs from their sample-oriented heydey, including the notorious kitchen implement that they sampled slapping Martin Gore on the arse.

phantom_power

Autobahn by Kraftwerk has the sound of someone getting into a car and driving off, as does a track from Carl Craig's Landcruising but I can't remember which one

Apparently the "ding ding ding ding" bit at the end of each verse of Mr Blue Sky is Bev Bevan twatting a fire extinguisher with his drumstick

gilbertharding

Quote from: phantom_power on February 26, 2020, 09:45:37 AM
Autobahn by Kraftwerk has the sound of someone getting into a car and driving off, as does a track from Carl Craig's Landcruising but I can't remember which one

And so does Love is the Drug by Roxy Music.

Country Honk by the Rolling Stones has a car horn at the start. We Love You by the Rolling Stones has prison doors slamming. 409 by the Beach Boys starts with the sound of a Big Block V8 revving.

olliebean

Pink Floyd have form for this. The clocks at the start of Time are another example. Not to mention the unreleased album "Household Objects" that was originally going to be their follow-up to Dark Side of the Moon. (Some of the recordings of wine glasses made for that album found their way into the opening of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, so that's another one.)

Dewt

Prince - The Most Beautiful Girl In The World (album version)

Dr Syntax Head

The entire output of Ed Sheeran has the sound of a burning hospital skip running throughout.