Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:15:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Popular Songs That Include The Sounds Of Machinery Or Household Items

Started by TheMonk, February 25, 2020, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2020, 08:27:20 AM
Stardust's Music Sounds Better With You sounds like it's got a dot matrix printer in it, but doesn't.

Finitribe - 101 has a dot matrix printer (I think) at 2m48s

DrGreggles

Just heard Get Back by The Beatles on the radio and, if you listen closely, you can make out a pneumatic drill in the background.

EDIT: Scratch that. There's a bloke drilling outside my window.

olliebean

Come to think of it, back in the day a piano used to be a relatively common household item, so that opens up the field a bit...

poodlefaker

Hairdresser On Fire by Morrissey has a hairdryer
Margaret on the Guillotine by Morrissey has a guillotine
Well I Wonder by The Smiths has a deep fat fryer

olliebean

There's The Typewriter by Leroy Anderson (otherwise known as the theme tune of The News Quiz).

LORD BAD VIBE

Summer in the City by The Lovin' Spoonful has car horns and a pneumatic drill in the middle.

DrGreggles

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on February 26, 2020, 04:05:27 PM
Summer in the City by The Lovin' Spoonful has car horns and a pneumatic drill in the middle.

I had a word with him and he said he'll be finished by half four.

phantom_power

Telephone and Rubber Band by Penguin Cafe Orchestra uses a telephone and a cafe orchestra. No, that's not right...

Quote from: olliebean on February 26, 2020, 03:49:52 PM
There's The Typewriter by Leroy Anderson (otherwise known as the theme tune of The News Quiz).

Right, I take it back - that's great!

Norton Canes

Fabian Thomsett

Inspector Norse

Matmos have made a career out of this kind of thing. A long while since I listened to any of their stuff - I remember seeing them live in what must have been 2007 and it being an impressive do - but they released an album performed on plastic objects last year, for example.

Sean Ymphs

The drum sounds in Alberto Balsalm by Aphex Twin sound like they're all household sounds. Scissors, banging a radiator, scraping a chair across the floor, that kind of thing (it's also one of the best tunes ever).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5rLfFzdXoc

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on February 26, 2020, 10:46:57 AM
Pink Floyd have form for this. The clocks at the start of Time are another example. Not to mention the unreleased album "Household Objects" that was originally going to be their follow-up to Dark Side of the Moon. (Some of the recordings of wine glasses made for that album found their way into the opening of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, so that's another one.)

They packed it in because they reckoned the elastic band solo was more effective on a stratocaster

Telstar starts with an aeroplane engine used to represent a space rocket taking off

bgmnts

Superman by Black Lace (the greatest song of all time) contains the sound of an aerosol spray. Is an aerosol spray a household item?

the

Quote from: bgmnts on February 26, 2020, 11:27:07 PMSuperman by Black Lace (the greatest song of all time) contains the sound of an aerosol spray. Is an aerosol spray a household item?

No it's classified as farm equipment

Theme From S'Express has an aerosol sound used as the open hi-hat.

Which reminds me, Beat Dis by Bomb The Bass also has a (I think) Braun alarm clock in it.

Sebastian Cobb

wosl

Joy Division's Insight features the recording of a lift in operation at the start.  The Last Day by Dif Juz briefly features the plaintive ring of an old-school telephone on it.

mojo filters

Simon & Garfunkel - Baby Driver has an actual engine roar pan briefly from left to right, just after the instrumental section with the two brass instruments.

NoSleep

Toast by Streetband features the scraping of burnt toast with a knife (as well as an early appearance of Paul Young).

TheMonk

Other songs with car sounds.
Love Is The Drug- Roxy Music
Movin' Out- Billy Joel (I think it's that one) and You May Be Right
Get Outta My Dreams (Get Into My Car) - Billy Ocean

Jockice

On David's Last Summer by Pulp part of the drumming is on a fire extinguisher

Jockice

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on February 26, 2020, 03:42:39 PM
There Goes Concord Again by The Native Hipsters .  Probably the only record to feature a typewriter solo.

Classic.  And then I mentioned a song that someone else had already mentioned. Silly me.

Sebastian Cobb

Prodigy's Poison has the sound of someone pushing buttons and using a datawheel and a phone ringing.

the

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 27, 2020, 10:48:50 AMProdigy's Poison has the sound of someone pushing buttons and using a datawheel and a phone ringing.

From the sound of the buttons and the datawheel it's either the Roland JV-1080 (most likely) or possibly the Boss SE-70.  Neither of which really coming under 'machinery or household items' :)