Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:33:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tea Twitter Storm [merged]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 26, 2020, 10:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

It's clearly ridiculous that people are having a go at Yorkshire Tea because the new Chancellor tweeted a picture of him with it, and I feel sorry for the social media people at Yorkshire Tea having to deal with the unpleasant comments.

However it is annoying that tweets by a small minority of people, some of whom are left wing, are being used by the centerists and right on Twitter to criticise all left wing people. I also feel a bit sorry for Sue Lane: https://twitter.com/YorkshireTea/status/1232055279942066176

In the long term I think Yorkshire Tea will do well from this - I doubt many people will stop drinking it (did that many people even say they would) and it looks like a number of people on Twitter will switch to the brand of tea "to annoy the lefties"

I think Twitter culture wars like this one are interesting to look at - are you on Twitter, do you have a view on such storms in teacups, and would you agree that it was silly to criticise Yorkshire Tea (yet alone boycott it) because the Chancellor posted with a bag of it?

Shit Good Nose

Are these twattists expecting/demanding Yorkshire Tea to start vetting who they sell to?!?!?!

Fucking hell.

Jim'll enjoyed choc digestives and Fred West was a big fan of Birdseye fish fingers.

People really just need to fuck off.

Reply from James O'Brien

QuoteOn a less cheerful note, the attacks on @YorkshireTea (and no, I can't quite believe I've just written those words) reflect the still woefully overlooked fact that cultists & extremists from both 'left' and 'right' have a lot more in common with each other than the rest of us   

What condescending wank. Ooo thank god we have such sensible centrists like yourself James showing us the way to behave.

The Bumlord

Come Coronavirus and end everything

Barry Admin

I think what bugs me is the people who suck the dicks of these corporate stooges who are just doing their job - and that's fair enough - but to be actually taken in by brands trying to appear humble and human and such? It makes me want to spew.

I won't be buying a t-shirt with "you're shouting at tea, Sue" any time soon. The Yorkshire Tea rep seems like a patronising, manipulative fuck.

I'm sticking with Punjana.

Sebastian Cobb

This isn't the first time YorkshireTea have had social greif, some brexiteer was having a benny at them because they'd found out they didn't grow their tea in Yorkshire.

Buelligan

I think it's a storm in a teacup, probably (I have no evidence for this) stirred up by someone like Cummings to make the left look loony.  I don't care about it or believe that Sunak makes tea, for his staff any more than Johnson does.

EtA  You'll note that Johnson does use tea to signal his ordinary fellow stuff.  IMO, this is just more of the same.

poo

Barry Admin

Reading the OP again, a rather shitty painful morning has been cheered up no end by the thought of alt-right fuckwits marching down to Asda to buy a certain tea brand in order to stick it to the libs.

I'm not sure how we get past all this culture war bullshit, as a society. It's the perfect tool for "divide and conquer", and keeps us all focused on trivialities while the rich continue to trample us underfoot.

Fambo Number Mive

There are some good videos on Youtube about US brands acting like people - I can't remember any of the videos at the moment. It's weird how the same people who would freak out if an employee said how can I help you at the wrong volume love watching brand Twitter channels be rude to other people on Twitter. And I know a lot of people are rude to brand Twitter accounts as well but it still makes me feel uncomfortable.

I think one of the most difficult Twitter accounts to be in charge of must be the London Underground twitter accounts.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 26, 2020, 11:12:57 AM
Reading the OP again, a rather shitty painful morning has been cheered up no end by the thought of alt-right fuckwits marching down to Asda to buy a certain tea brand in order to stick it to the libs.

I'm not sure how we get past all this culture war bullshit, as a society. It's the perfect tool for "divide and conquer", and keeps us all focused on trivialities while the rich continue to trample us underfoot.

I totally agree - it's also used as a substitute for argument by a lot of people. They might not be able to say why they dislike left-wing ideas but they can join in with the #SueYoureShoutingAtTea hashtag. Someone on there is has even imagined the Sue in question not getting a job interview because "...you shouted at the tea that we use." I feel sorry for Sue and hope she is ok.

Bazooka

Anyone who has even drank it, thought about it or seen it should voluntarily admit themselves into Broadmarsh prison, which includes me now, it's only fair.

Cuellar

Genuinely can't remember the last time I had a cup of tea. Forget tea.

Barry Admin

Have a fucking cup of fucking tea!

Barry Admin

Milk first. Go on, have a fucking cup of tea. Tea is the business. Just have a cup of tea.

Cuellar

Forget it!! Never gonna happen, I don't miss it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 26, 2020, 11:36:15 AM
Milk first. Go on, have a fucking cup of tea. Tea is the business. Just have a cup of tea.

Agreed.  Anyone who says "forget tea" is clearly a wrong 'un.

Buelligan

I felt pretty uninvested in this until I read the Yorkshire Tea twitter replies that the OP linked.  Now, I think they're a bunch of cunts best avoided.

Tea here's pretty curate's eggish.  Yorkshire Tea literally doesn't exist.  My brother sends me some proper tea a Christmas.  That's my tea-world.

Ray Travez

Sebastian Cobb

It's good tea. They do loose leaf for luddites as well now.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Cuellar on February 26, 2020, 11:36:46 AM
Forget it!! Never gonna happen, I don't miss it.

But tea is lovely, Kenny Everett said so. https://youtu.be/M5wZXkFppeg

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 26, 2020, 11:37:16 AM
Agreed.  Anyone who says "forget tea" is clearly a wrong 'un.

I don't think I've ever felt so affronted on here. The nerve of the man. [NB]This has made me realise how accurate and brilliant Mrs Doyle is, though. Edit: haha, yes Ray! [/NB]

Shit Good Nose

I mean even IF you don't like "traditional" black teas, there's fruit and herbal teas out there to suit anybody's taste.  You can even get liquorice tea for fuck's sake!

JesusAndYourBush

I know the comment has already been made, but this is literally a storm in a teacup.  There's a lot of utter cunts on twitter, and this is one more reason not to give it any credibility.

dissolute ocelot

Cuellar

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 26, 2020, 11:44:58 AM
I mean even IF you don't like "traditional" black teas, there's fruit and herbal teas out there to suit anybody's taste.  You can even get liquorice tea for fuck's sake!

Simply hammering nail after nail into Tea's coffin here. Appalling suggestion.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Cuellar on February 26, 2020, 11:46:54 AM
Simply hammering nail after nail into Tea's coffin here. Appalling suggestion.

Bah, no hope for you.  Go back to your Sodastream/blue Slush Puppy.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2020, 11:40:48 AM
They do loose leaf for luddites as well now.

I think that's always been available? As a kid we used to have Co-op 99 loose leaf tea, brewed in a pot. With a tea-cosy, and the water was boiled in a pan on the stove. To people under thirty, that probably makes me sound like a character in an Alan Bennett play, which is only about 25% true.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 26, 2020, 11:28:37 AM
I totally agree - it's also used as a substitute for argument by a lot of people. They might not be able to say why they dislike left-wing ideas but they can join in with the #SueYoureShoutingAtTea hashtag. Someone on there is has even imagined the Sue in question not getting a job interview because "...you shouted at the tea that we use." I feel sorry for Sue and hope she is ok.

Yeah I feel for Sue too. I need to stop looking at this now:

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 26, 2020, 11:50:39 AM
I think that's always been available? As a kid we used to have Co-op 99 loose leaf tea, brewed in a pot. With a tea-cosy, and the water was boiled in a pan on the stove. To people under thirty, that probably makes me sound like a character in an Alan Bennett play, which is only about 25% true.

I think SB was specifically talking about Yorkshire Tea loose leaf, rather than loose leaf in general.  If you want to go proper loose leaf, you're better off getting it from a tea merchant that imports it directly from the grower - much better quality and value for money.

There's nothing wrong with Yorkshire loose leaf (or, indeed, any other loose leaf you can pick up in supermarkets), but it's like second or third flush stuff.