Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:01:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tea Twitter Storm [merged]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 26, 2020, 10:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I used to have a lovely sona metal teapot. Lost in a move sadly.

Cuellar

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 26, 2020, 11:52:25 AM
Yeah I feel for Sue too. I need to stop looking at this now:

My god :(

Twitter would be excellent right, if no one could actually see anything you tweet. You write it, hit 'tweet' and you see it on your timeline, but no one else can. Twitter auto generates likes and retweets and replies to maintain the illusion, but no one is reading it. It would keep the sort of person who thinks it's super super important busy while actually doing nothing.

Like that bit in the Armando Iannucci Show where they 'film' a Big Brother type show in a shipping container but never actually turn the cameras on.

Barry Admin

Sorry to correct you, but I think that was the one good bit of Gash? Or is the idea also referenced in TAIS?

Shit Good Nose

Twitter is a completely alien world to me - I've never signed up to it, I don't know anyone who is on it, and the only times I do look at it are whenever it's linked as part of a CaB thread.  It seems to be a place where everyone just constantly snipes at other people, situations and things.  Bewildering.

Cuellar

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 26, 2020, 12:00:39 PM
Sorry to correct you, but I think that was the one good bit of Gash? Or is the idea also referenced in TAIS?

Don't think I ever saw Gash, so it must have been in AIS too!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 26, 2020, 12:02:22 PM
Twitter is a completely alien world to me - I've never signed up to it, I don't know anyone who is on it, and the only times I do look at it are whenever it's linked as part of a CaB thread.  It seems to be a place where everyone just constantly snipes at other people, situations and things.  Bewildering.

If Facebook is like a badly organised house party where people from different chapters of your life have been invited who should never be in the same room together are, twitters like that but also the entire world turned up as the bigger boys that gatecrashed it.

mojo filters

poodlefaker

Quote from: Buelligan on February 26, 2020, 11:38:00 AM
Tea here's pretty curate's eggish.  Yorkshire Tea literally doesn't exist.  My brother sends me some proper tea a Christmas.  That's my tea-world.

All proper tea is theft, remember.

mrpupkin

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 26, 2020, 11:53:58 AM
There's nothing wrong with Yorkshire loose leaf (or, indeed, any other loose leaf you can pick up in supermarkets), but it's like second or third flush stuff.

Yeah I mean it's first pressing, or do you want to wait until everyone else has had their fun with the olives?

bgmnts

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 26, 2020, 12:02:22 PM

Their best content is basically the worst CaB has to offer but every single day x100000

Buelligan

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 26, 2020, 12:08:57 PM
All proper tea is theft, remember.

Top marx for that, comrade.  Heheh.

Spoon of Ploff

I just drink hot water these days so as not to upset anyone.

Cuellar

Used to live with a guy who didn't drink any hot drinks. "I don't understand them," he'd claim. "It's hot, so you let it cool down, then it's cold and disgusting"

madhair60

I've never had a cup of tea. Looks rank.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 26, 2020, 12:00:39 PM

Quote from: Cuellar on February 26, 2020, 12:02:44 PM
Don't think I ever saw Gash, so it must have been in AIS too!

I never saw Gash either, so I'm pretty sure it was in Shows (unless it was in both).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2020, 12:06:36 PM
If Facebook is like a badly organised house party where people from different chapters of your life have been invited who should never be in the same room together are, twitters like that but also the entire world turned up as the bigger boys that gatecrashed it.

Quote from: bgmnts on February 26, 2020, 12:10:37 PM
Their best content is basically the worst CaB has to offer but every single day x100000

Sounds great - where do I sign up?

the

Quote from: Cuellar on February 26, 2020, 11:57:13 AMLike that bit in the Armando Iannucci Show where they 'film' a Big Brother type show in a shipping container but never actually turn the cameras on.
Quote from: Cuellar on February 26, 2020, 12:02:44 PMDon't think I ever saw Gash, so it must have been in AIS too!
Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 26, 2020, 12:19:32 PMI never saw Gash either, so I'm pretty sure it was in Shows (unless it was in both).

It was neither, it was in 2004: The Stupid Version.

The only vaguely similar bit from TAIS I can think of is the soap opera where nobody bothers to get to know each other.

Barry Admin

Thanks! I was just hunting for it to no avail, now I see why.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: the on February 26, 2020, 12:27:58 PM

Top marks that man - completely forgot about it.

studpuppet

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 26, 2020, 11:05:06 AM
I think what bugs me is the people who suck the dicks of these corporate stooges who are just doing their job - and that's fair enough - but to be actually taken in by brands trying to appear humble and human and such? It makes me want to spew.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/the-grocer-blog-daily-bread/step-by-step-how-to-un-cancel-your-fmcg-brand-on-twitter/602281.article

Barry Admin

Quote from: madhair60 on February 26, 2020, 12:18:57 PM
I've never had a cup of tea. Looks rank.

I've never had a cup of you. You're rank.

Sebastian Cobb

Not up on my abbreviations and brain is slower than usual due to cold, what is Gash?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2020, 12:35:40 PM
Not up on my abbreviations and brain is slower than usual due to cold, what is Gash?

Trying to come up with a hilarious answer, but failing miserably so I'll leave that to someone more creative than me and give you the real answer - it was a (I think) live Armistice type show he did in the run-up to one of the elections.  I never saw it so can't say whether it was any good or not, but I know it had some poor reviews at the time.

Cuellar

Quote from: the on February 26, 2020, 12:27:58 PM

The only vaguely similar bit from TAIS I can think of is the soap opera where nobody bothers to get to know each other.

Whaaat.

I would have sworn on everything I hold dear that it was in TAIS.

Likewise I would have sworn that I never saw 2004: The Stupid Version

Sebastian Cobb

Ahh, it sounded kinda time trumpety but obvs not from the name.

the

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2020, 12:35:40 PM

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gash_(TV_series)Gash is a satirical British television comedy created by Armando Iannucci that was broadcast each weeknight from Monday 28 April to Thursday 1 May 2003 on Channel 4 to coincide with the 2003 local elections. Written and filmed on the day of transmission, the programme was a topical review show featuring sketches, modified VT footage, talk, discussion and jokes.

Episode 1 | Episode 2 | Episode 3 | Episode 4

(nb. It wasn't much cop.)

Captain Z

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on February 26, 2020, 12:16:44 PM
I just drink hot water these days so as not to upset anyone.

Oh? And have you stopped to consider the carbon footprint of you boiling a kettle just to heat up some water?

Barry Admin

The other Iannucci memory this thread brought to mind is a Facts and Fancies story, again about Big Brother. Something along the lines of a contestant chopping an onion in a ham-fisted way, which the camera zooms in on and really relishes. Then he becomes a national laughing stock and his whole life is ruined.

It made me think of a not-so-distant dystopian future where someone tops themselves after being patronised and publicly ridiculed by a brand of tea on Twitter. While Caitlin Moran cheers on and pulls that fucking face of hers.