Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:39:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Feeling guilty for stupid reasons.

Started by Fry, February 26, 2020, 01:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Ever feel guilty for ridiculous reasons?

I got a job back in October. It's been pretty good so far, I'm happy enough here. However, I recently got offered another job. It's more money, better benefits and no weekend shifts. I'm gonna take it but I feel quite bad. I think because I've recently had a performance review where they were all effusive and "excited about my future with the company". Now I'm just kicking around procrastinating on handing my notice in.

Stupid isn't it.  This isn't a tiny little family business or anything, they'll be fine when I go. And I know that as soon as it became more profitable for them to shitcan me they would without a second thought.

Still, guilt.

Why are you guilty!??!?!?!

Barry Admin

Not having the last reply because it makes you feel rude.

Buelligan

I feel guilty/anxious often.  Usually if I'm comfortable and not working and think about the poor little cats out in the cold or humans or any suffering of anything ever.  It's crazy, all we can do is the best we can with what we've got and take reasonable care of ourselves too and yet and yet...

bgmnts

If you don't feel guilt there is something a bit off with you.

Yeah chalk me up as another who has near-constant feelings of guilt over things far beyond my control, especially when I'm at peak comfort too. Pretty sure it'll only dissipate when I'm dead (fingers crossed).

oy vey

I had this recently. It's fine but don't let it interrupt your career path, which you have to right to have. This is the game. All employers know that. Also, no-one is irreplaceable. They will find someone.

BTW, if they really like you, be prepared for a counter offer.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: oy vey on February 26, 2020, 01:43:40 PM
I had this recently. It's fine but don't let it interrupt your career path, which you have to right to have. This is the game. All employers know that. Also, no-one is irreplaceable. They will find someone.

BTW, if they really like you, be prepared for a counter offer.

The perfect reply, honestly. This covers it.

oy vey

Yeah, that counter offer might fuck with your head so unless it includes a mansion, fast car and big titted sharp intelligent assistant who is your equal in many ways, keep looking forward.

On the original topic, I'm paranoid (preemptive guilt) about emails so I make sure to put question marks at the end of all requests, and I add silly phrases like "I was wondering if..." "...whenever suits" etc. It's silly but corporate emails are a minefield. I don't have as much a problem online. Perhaps a little, unless I'm drunk. CAB having a positive effect there.

Sebastian Cobb

Shit on boss' desk, leave via nearest exit.

madhair60

I've been having a sort of sustained panic attack since about 11am today, just every so often... ooh! Doom. Then forget about it and... remember again! Ooh! Doom.

weekender

Not having the last reply because it makes you feel rude.

Gurke and Hare

Never ever ever be loyal to a job or feel guilty about leaving one. If it suited them they'd do the same to you in a heartbeat.

Noonling

Quote from: bgmnts on February 26, 2020, 01:22:28 PM
If you don't feel guilt there is something a bit off with you.

I reckon guilt is the #1 worst emotion so if I could excise it out of myself then I would.

bgmnts

Quote from: Noonling on February 26, 2020, 10:29:41 PM
I reckon guilt is the #1 worst emotion so if I could excise it out of myself then I would.

Worse than ennui?

Noonling

Quote from: bgmnts on February 26, 2020, 10:32:28 PM
Worse than ennui?
Yeah, easily. If I felt guilt every day then I'd be in a much worse state.

Quote from: Bazooka on February 26, 2020, 10:46:00 PM
Worse than diarrhoea?

Diarrhoea isn't an emotion. I think? And unless it's making you shit yourself in public I still rank guilt as worse.

Quote from: Noonling on February 26, 2020, 10:29:41 PM
I think its Regret, all the other emotions you can do something about, not with Regret. Its there and it won't ever change.

Gregory Torso

I bought something by a pretty unknown band off their bandcamp page. Singer sent me a personal email thanking me and I never got round to responding. Sorry, mate. I really like your music. Similarly when someone in here sends me a pm or tells me they liked a post I made I'm frequently too depressed, tired or inwardly dead to respond so sorry any and everyone who might have thought what a cunt.

Buelligan

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 27, 2020, 09:13:58 AM
I bought something by a pretty unknown band off their bandcamp page. Singer sent me a personal email thanking me and I never got round to responding. Sorry, mate. I really like your music. Similarly when someone in here sends me a pm or tells me they liked a post I made I'm frequently too depressed, tired or inwardly dead to respond so sorry any and everyone who might have thought what a cunt.

Sorry for replying to you - don't feel obliged to respond - completely with you on the not-replying thing.  My brother and I are like brothers (brother and sister) from the same mother.  Yep, we're very similar. 

We both go walkabout or whatever - sometimes for years.  Often close down communication with humankind because of the very things you mention or because of a feeling, like weight or bereavement, that forces us to prevaricate, to close those shutters tight, once we feel obliged by social convention to do a thing.  The more I see humans, the more I realise this is pretty normal for a lot of people and not really a thing to be ashamed of, despite what our grandmothers told us the day after our birthdays.  I'm still ashamed though.

BTW, your avatar is exactly like some lovely earrings my mother used to wear.  I still have one but it's broken.

Noonling

WHAT CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A MAN?

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on February 27, 2020, 08:11:26 AM
I think its Regret, all the other emotions you can do something about, not with Regret. Its there and it won't ever change.

Not for me, I managed to cut out most of the regret gland. Regret over something I've done or said is usually overwhelmed by guilt. Regret over not doing/saying something isn't really something I feel. I didn't ask someone out? Eh, the past is the past. I spent all my waking hours in my 20s playing games? Eh, I guess I'll try to do better this decade.