Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:57:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Where the fuck can I go on holiday?

Started by Blue Jam, February 26, 2020, 02:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Mr Jam and I need a holiday but unfortunately for us coronavirus has the world on lockdown. Where should I go on one last holiday before everyone dies? Flying very far out of the UK might be a no-no so our options seem to be:

1. Spend the money we would have spent on flights on staying in a posh hotel in a big city. I like this idea but have already been to most big cities in the UK and can't think of any I'd consider would make me feel like I'm on holiday.

2. Spend the money we would have spent on flights on staying in a quirky and charming hotel in a picuresque bit of countryside. I like the idea of getting a bit of hiking in, but not the possibility of a shortage of pubs and things to do if it rains, which it definitely will. Also little hotels in the countryside seem a bit of a gamble with regards to quality and comfort and they seem to rip people off much more than big chain hotels in cities. What you gain in charm you lose in adequately-powered hairdryers.

3. Go somewhere overseas but near, like Dublin. *looks at booking.com* Bloody hell, Dublin is expensive.

Anyone else similarly fucked and had any bright (or not so bright) ideas on how to get the relaxing break they badly need? Share them here please.

Also fuck Airbnb, obviously.

SteK

Drive to Galway/Clare, much cheaper and lot's to see.....

DrGreggles

Cuellar

Shepherd's hut near fucking Abergavenny.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 26, 2020, 02:40:04 PM
Mr Jam and I need a holiday but unfortunately for us coronavirus has the world on lockdown. Where should I go on one last holiday before everyone dies? Flying very far out of the UK might be a no-no so our options seem to be:

1. Spend the money we would have spent on flights on staying in a posh hotel in a big city. I like this idea but have already been to most big cities in the UK and can't think of any I'd consider would make me feel like I'm on holiday.

2. Spend the money we would have spent on flights on staying in a quirky and charming hotel in a picuresque bit of countryside. I like the idea of getting a bit of hiking in, but not the possibility of a shortage of pubs and things to do if it rains, which it definitely will. Also little hotels in the countryside seem a bit of a gamble with regards to quality and comfort and they seem to rip people off much more than big chain hotels in cities. What you gain in charm you lose in adequately-powered hairdryers.

3. Go somewhere overseas but near, like Dublin. *looks at booking.com* Bloody hell, Dublin is expensive.

Anyone else similarly fucked and had any bright (or not so bright) ideas on how to get the relaxing break they badly need? Share them here please.

Also fuck Airbnb, obviously.

Newcastle Snooker Meet 2020

Blinder Data

The Highlands/Islands

Avoid Skye and other v popular places

bgmnts

Yeah go watch the snwcer and make a week of it.

Pingers

Ireland I reckon. Although their health service is a bit cack so not so great if you actually catch it.

poo

Blue Jam

Quote from: SteK on February 26, 2020, 02:41:41 PM
Drive to Galway/Clare, much cheaper and lot's to see.....

That sounds like a nice idea, but I should have added: I can't drive. That would certainly make things easier :(

Buelligan

I haven't had any time off for over a year.  Now I'm having an enforced break from my main job to suit my employer's needs, they didn't tell me exactly when the break would happen because they like to be flexible like that.  I don't have any money to spend on a holiday anyway.  I am staying at home completely alone.  Doing a bit of fixing it up.  The weather has been great, although it's cold and rainy today.  It's just fantastic to be able to catch up on sleep if I'm honest, take a walk on the mountain.  Take a holiday from work in your home, spend time with your partner, rest.  That's my advice.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on February 26, 2020, 02:48:11 PM
Yeah go watch the snwcer and make a week of it.

Already going to Sheffield again in April... could extend our stay and go even more snooker loopy, I guess.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 26, 2020, 02:44:06 PM
Newcastle Snooker Meet 2020

That's not a bad idea... I shall ask Mr Jam about dates and get back to you on that!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Go Spain. Southern bit somewhere. It's about 20 degrees down there.

Buelligan

It was that here yesterday and the day before, sweating in a tshirt mate but they can't make a decent cuppa.

SteK

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 26, 2020, 02:49:17 PM
That sounds like a nice idea, but I should have added: I can't drive. That would certainly make things easier :(

A driving licence is optional in Ireland, especially in Connemara.....

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Buelligan on February 26, 2020, 02:59:00 PM
It was that here yesterday and the day before, sweating in a tshirt mate but they can't make a decent cuppa.

France, yeah? Food is probably shite as well.

Buelligan

Strictly vegetarian, vegan if I could only kick my omelette habit.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The omelette is rather a wonderful invention, and I can see it would be difficult to give that up. There's not really a vegan alternative is there? Can you make them out of tofu or something?

bgmnts

You can synthetic eggs nowadays but no real replacement for the om in my searches. Oh well, pleeeeeeenty of alternatives.

king_tubby

Quote from: Buelligan on February 26, 2020, 02:51:28 PMTake a holiday from work in your home, spend time with your partner, rest.  That's my advice.

We were supposed to go to Wales last week, but the weather was shit then the roads were closed so we ended up not bothering. Kept the boy in nursery for 3.5 days, and did exactly what Buelligan suggests there, plus some lunches out and catching up with hobbies (her) and sleeping (me). It was fucking AMAZING. Highly recommended.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote3. Go somewhere overseas but near, like Dublin. *looks at booking.com* Bloody hell, Dublin is expensive.

Why near? There are still plenty of relatively unaffected countries scattered all over. And the UK itself is dealing with as many cases as most of them, and you're in it. Urgh, next to all the germs.

I'm going to Vilnius on Friday and Vilnius is a nice place, so go there.

Cuellar

Could get Eurostar to Netherlands or Belgium or something. One case in Belgium, apparently, none in Netherlands YET

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 26, 2020, 04:02:26 PM
Why near? There are still plenty of relatively unaffected countries scattered all over. And the UK itself is dealing with as many cases as most of them, and you're in it. Urgh, next to all the germs.

I'm going to Vilnius on Friday and Vilnius is a nice place, so go there.

A few of my work colleagues have had flights cancelled, that's why. I don't want to book flights right now and then have to change my plans. I might just wait for this to blow over and then try and get us a last-minute b@rgain.

Was thinking of going to the Riga Masters in July...

Emma Raducanu

I've been thinking about going to the Highlands and staying in a log cabin. Why would you want to stay in a posh hotel in a shit English city. Why do you need so many pubs? Find a good one and go there often

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on February 26, 2020, 04:04:21 PM
Could get Eurostar to Netherlands or Belgium or something. One case in Belgium, apparently, none in Netherlands YET

Easier getting coach and boat from Scotland usually.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DolphinFace on February 26, 2020, 06:41:06 PM
I've been thinking about going to the Highlands and staying in a log cabin. Why would you want to stay in a posh hotel in a shit English city. Why do you need so many pubs? Find a good one and go there often

You can stay in bothies for newt. Last time I did that I had a shit behind a tree and got woken up by a buffoon falling over my head.

Kryton

Go build a shelter out old sticks near a canal and stash it with survival shit (soup etc).

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Look for a self-catering cottage/caravan/chalet in a part of the country you've never been to. Near a village or tourist attraction so that you've got something to do if it rains.

touchingcloth

Stay at home and spend all the money which would have gone on flights and hotels on booze, fags, drugs and prozzies.