Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:41:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Simon Evans clambers on the anti-woke bandwagon [split topic]

Started by Utter Shit, February 27, 2020, 09:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

I only know him from his Dour Power[nb]in which they harness his negative thought energy to power a motorised cart, which propels very far when they make him think about Tony Blair but doesn't move at all when he thinks about Hitler, it's very funny[/nb] bit in Rich Hall's Fishing Show and I extrapolated out what I thought he'd be like elsewhere from that.

I guess I was wrong

momatt

Quote from: phantom_power on February 27, 2020, 03:11:20 PM
What you're doing there is confusing "political correctness" with "arseholes on Twitter".

This.

Beware the politics of division.  We spend far too much time labeling people as 'left' or 'right'.
'Arsehole' or 'Not-Arsehole' is much more useful.

phantom_power

It's the same with that whole Yorkshire Tea bollocks. A load of dicks on Twitter lose their shit about some Tory posing with some tea and cry out for a boycott and hurl abuse at a PR account. Then you get the Blue Tick brigade going "cuh, this country eh" as if the whole of the left are this unhinged. You also get the right wing commentariat giving it "kinder, gentler politics eh" and "this is how the left win the working classes back is it?" and we get ever further away from a decent Labour government

Cardenio I

Is mainstream comedy so left wing? I think there may have been a time when that was true - these days I think the average bit of lazy BBC satire is pitched pretty squarely down the middle. Certainly I think you're as likely to hear a joke about a woke avocado something something as you are to hear an easy applause line about Boris Johnson being a racist.

The bandwagon is the grift - it's the Laurence Foxes and Toby Youngs of this world who are making bank lamenting how they can't say anything anymore openly and to an audience of millions. Of course, these people need the angry woke-twitter mob, just as the mob need them. It's symbiotic, though I think people like Young and Fox at least understand the implicit collusion. The people getting angry at Yorkshire tea, and the people getting genuinely angry at people getting angry at Yorkshire tea don't seem to realise they are locked into this self and mutually abusive game of dopamine roulette.

EDIT: We've come quite of topic here: I'm not sure Simon Evans is going for the grift, just being a twat on twitter. Such was the style of the time.

Mister Six

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 27, 2020, 02:17:18 PM
Other than being aware that he's a comedian, literally all I know of Simon Evans is his voice and his "where are his eyes?" bit, but I must admit this "personal revelation" stuff and the possible connection to a possible switch in political leanings (or whatever he's/we/others are calling) has got me intrigued.

Anyone know what it is?  (spoiler it, obvs)

Spoiler alert
He realised he's a cunt.
[close]

phantom_power

Mainstream comedy is centre-left. It is reasonably progressive in terms of identity politics but not enough to make anyone uncomfortable

Thursday

My main memory is seeing him at Lattitude many years ago, and him being met with a sort of polite nothing from the crowd. Just incredibly bland comedy that didn't make you feel anything.

Some extended bit about geordies that didn't have anything original in it, and started to feel like it was just punching down.

Some thing about only going to Mcdonalds to use the toilets and somehow thinking this is great comedy material and not just a mundane middle-aged observation.

That's all I remember.

Just a boring, slightly reactionary twat, and it seems now he's pushing to become a very reactionary twat.

Cold Meat Platter

I remember one of his old jokes: "Isn't it ironic that the favourite beer of the homeless is Tennents?"
He's always had this aloof persona but he seems to be showing more of himself in his act now.
I watched an interview with him where he quoted Norm MacDonald so he can't be hitler or anything. Probs just a 50-something man slightly adrift in a changing world making a twat of themselves a bit.

Re: revelation? Secret fanny.

EDIT: I just looked at his twitter and he's got ironic pronouns in his bio. We've lost him.

idunnosomename

im trying to remember who he had a run-in on twitter with. he was doing really shitty snipes at someone and they called him out.

i think he's pretty funny and did some thought-provoking stuff akin to Mark Steel but he is getting more and more "the only righty on the News Quiz" because it's easy for him and it guarantees him work

ahh, Jeremy Hardy :*(

https://twitter.com/TheSimonEvans/status/1233011169847398401
''Oh, and don't dead name Titania. Or misgender her political affiliation for that matter.''

Looks like he's down the same one joke transphobic twitter grift rabbit hole that the rest of them are milking. The right is starting to get better at comedy and it's making lefties nervous.

canadagoose

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on February 27, 2020, 10:59:40 PM
https://twitter.com/TheSimonEvans/status/1233011169847398401
''Oh, and don't dead name Titania. Or misgender her political affiliation for that matter.''

Looks like he's down the same one joke transphobic twitter grift rabbit hole that the rest of them are milking. The right is starting to get better at comedy and it's making lefties nervous.
I've got right in there and stolen your patter

bgmnts

Whats the difference between that joke and say pretending to be a Jew? Why is it okay to make these stupid parallels with trans people but not race or ethnicity or what?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: bgmnts on February 27, 2020, 11:26:01 PM
Whats the difference between that joke and say pretending to be a Jew? Why is it okay to make these stupid parallels with trans people but not race or ethnicity or what?
bEcAuSe TrAnSgEnDeR iSnT rEaL

Johnny Yesno

Simon Evans Goes to Market is definitely worth a listen. There's some intelligent stuff about how markets are supposed to work. In particular, I was surprised by how critical it was of GiftAid. Tories normally love that shit.

As for the overwrapped Asian people, I dunno. I can't claim the moral high ground as I do think these two pictures are funny:

On the other hand, Geoff Norcott: Right Leaning But Well Meaning consisted of criticism of the left for thick people. He sold himself as a wide-eyed geezer who was just telling it how it is, but his recent appearances on the News Quiz suggest otherwise.

Obel

Hahaha I love how Cab can't wait to get on the bandwagon of hating a comedian. It's like those gossip rags that that lay into some celeb for showing a bit of cellulite on the beach. Ugh this comedian doesn't say stuff I 100% agree with all the time! What a CUNT! Come on lads! Pile on!

gilbertharding

Quote from: Obel on February 28, 2020, 08:13:43 AM
Hahaha I love how Cab can't wait to get on the bandwagon of hating a comedian. It's like those gossip rags that that lay into some celeb for showing a bit of cellulite on the beach. Ugh this comedian doesn't say stuff I 100% agree with all the time! What a CUNT! Come on lads! Pile on!

A post which would only make sense if that was what was happening in this thread.

You only read the title, didn't you?

Obel

No, I've read the whole thread. He's been referred to as a twat and a cunt on this page. Utter Shit's intentions were certainly not to mindlessly criticise him, I'm referring more to the eagerness to decide exactly where a comedian sits on the Left/Right divide then have an opinion on them accordingly.

gilbertharding

Well, you're ignoring all the posts where people have said how funny and/or thought provoking they have found him in the past then.

Oh no - PLEASE DON'T CALL PEOPLE TWATS AND CUNTS!!!

Cardenio I

Some people think this guy is a twat and a cunt! Ha! Classic CaB hivemind!

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Watched some of him on YT. Comes across as weird. I'll stick to my Jonathan Pie.

Spiteface

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 27, 2020, 02:17:18 PM
Other than being aware that he's a comedian, literally all I know of Simon Evans is his voice and his "where are his eyes?" bit,

He was also on the ill-fated Krypton Factor revamp in the mid-90s: https://youtu.be/3BNkxl-oY7I?t=1298

Chollis

Thought this was Simon Day for a second and was very disappointed. No idea who Simon Evans is sorry.

Endicott

Quote from: Dewt on February 27, 2020, 03:13:48 PM
I only know him from his Dour Power bit in Rich Hall's Fishing Show and I extrapolated out what I thought he'd be like elsewhere from that.

First episode if I remember correctly, one of my favourite bits.

https://youtu.be/XuUgBcQq3Do?t=540

Crabwalk

I'm disappointed too, by how he seems to be turning ever more reactionary for cash. I've enjoyed his stand-up and radio shows in the past, and even his recent appearance on 'Rule of Three', to discuss Jack Rosenthal's 'P'Tang Yang Kipperbang', was funny and thoughtful. His aloof style used to come with a degree of self-awareness, but outright nastiness does seem to have crept in now.

He's on the opposite path to Frankie Boyle, basically.

Pranet

Saw him live a while back now and thought he was great, enjoyed him on a few things, but stopped following him on twitter a few years ago as he was being boomer dad. Not sure if he is actually old enough to be a boomer but that is how he came across. He talks a bit about it on a Comedians Comedian podcast, think from memory that he says something like the left believe in the perfectibility of man, and he doesn't. Hmmm  I think he is one of those people who think themselves above the fray of left and right.

He has some real talent as a comedian, but he is another on the long list of people that twitter has put me off.

Jockice

Quote from: Chollis on February 28, 2020, 12:28:29 PM
Thought this was Simon Day for a second and was very disappointed. No idea who Simon Evans is sorry.

In the late 80s/early 90s the main local comedy promoter in Sheffield was called Simon Evans. For ages I assumed it was the same guy trying to make it on stage.

Dewt

I thought it was Simon and the Witch, I was fucking distraught.