Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Gentlemen - aka The Guy Ritchie Monologues

Started by kidsick5000, February 27, 2020, 09:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Anyone watched this yet.
It's an infuriating mix.
The characters are good, Hugh Grant is pretty on the nose as a muckraker, Charlie Hunnam has his best role since Sons Of Anarchy. Matthew McConaughey enjoyable too, though in less of a guise than Grant, Hunnam and Colin Farrell
But good god it's overwritten.
Apart from the mostly stoic Hunnam, everyone talks way too long. Your mother telling an anecdote length of talking.
A sixth former having just discovered Stephen Fry, yet still keeping that Tarantino-wannabe obsessiveness.
It's so infuriating.
Ritchie can still pick out a lovely soundtrack. He is more than capable of a well put together set-piece.
But a whole film?
Never mind that it comes off like a riff on Layer Cake, the film he passed on and launched Matthew Vaughn's directing career (and arguably gave Daniel Craig the Bond role).
A drug dealer wants a clean exit from the business, a posh socialite girl with a drug habit goes missing etc.

But good god it's verbose. It has that Guy Ritchie level of casual racism that brushes off any complaints as PC gone mad. There's a decent 45 minutes in there if they got in with it. I like Grant's character. It's fun to see him play seedy but he just keeps going on.
Much like I'm doing.

Could have been a lot more fun than it is.

El Unicornio, mang

I was recommended this by a film buff fan, thought it was OK, his best since Snatch but that's not saying a lot. It kept me entertained with the juicy mockney gangster caricatures but also left me completely unaffected. Nice to hear Charlie Hunnam doing his normal Geordie accent, although I noticed a few Americans thinking he was just putting on a really bad British accent.

phantom_power

This sounds a bit like Rock-n-Rolla, which I remember as being pretty decent but completely over-directed and over-written

El Unicornio, mang

Pretty much. Hugh Grant is very good in it, playing against type, and Matthew McConaughey. The dialogue is pretty cringeworthy at times, like he's trying desperately hard to create quotable, outrageous lines which end up sounding horribly unnatural and forced. But I think that's been true since Lock Stock.

greenman

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 29, 2020, 03:34:41 PM
Pretty much. Hugh Grant is very good in it, playing against type, and Matthew McConaughey. The dialogue is pretty cringeworthy at times, like he's trying desperately hard to create quotable, outrageous lines which end up sounding horribly unnatural and forced. But I think that's been true since Lock Stock.

Grant's character actually selling that dialog and the plot around him does feel like more than standard Ritche but the rest of the film is pretty much the same old with a good deal feeling like its nicked from his mates Kingsman films.

phantom_power

Hugh Grant is a bit like Ralph Feinnes, someone I wrote off ages ago as just a posh twat who got work because he is posh but has turned out to be a really good actor and decent bloke as well

Saw this a couple of days ago. My abiding feeling was that whatever 'edge' Guy Ritchie had, has long gone. The fight scene in the cannabis farm was one of the worst I've seen for some time. The youths featured throughout the film just didn't seem real, they were as menacing as characters from a straight to video football hooligan movie.

Mobius

Just a more rubbish version of every film Guy Ritchie has ever made. Really boring and pointless.