Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The last single you bought

Started by peanutbutter, February 28, 2020, 09:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

As in, a physical copy.  Where'd you get it, when, etc...

I never bought one, assume hardly no one in their 20s now got one other than possibly some novelty single deal. Mayyyyyybe a few got Spice Girls singles?

Sebastian Cobb

It was either William Bell and Judy Clay - Private Number or Fontella Bass - Rescue Me on 7".

Discogs, within the last 2 years.

Before that Cornershop - Brimful of Asha on CD in woolies from a discount bin as it fell out the charts. Still got it.

Actually if 12" are counted there's a few I picked up for fuck all at car boots and fairs that I didn't specifically want, but were cheap enough to grab; Art of Noise - Peter Gunn, Depeche Mode - Everything Counts and Suzanne Vega - Luka. Also a load of DnB and Garage in the early 2000's.

Pseudopath

Probably CD2 of Go to Sleep (from Radiohead's Hail to the Thief). Some cracking B-sides around that era, but I think the pre-release leak of the album itself made me quickly realise the benefits of Internet piracy.

purlieu

Yeah, picked up a fair few second hand ones of favourite artists for the b-sides. Bought plenty of 12"s in the last ten years, because I suppose electronic music, particularly dancey stuff, tends to still support the format. Last one was probably whatever the last Burial 12" was.

In terms of the more traditional 'buying a CD/cassette single when it's in the charts' thing, probably 'The Love of Richard Nixon' by the Manics. So 15 and a half years ago.

holyzombiejesus

A split EP featuring Tomorrow Syndicate, Lake Ruth And Listening Center, Polytechnic Sound Archive and Polypores on the Polytechnic Youth label, about a month ago. I still buy lots of singles although not a fraction as many as I used to. In fact, in my record shop stashes, out of the approx £400 quids worth I have put to one side, I don't think there's a single 7" in there. Oh got that Paul Weller thing on Ghost Box too but might just sell that as I only bought it for completist reasons and I loathe Paul Weller (and it's worth £50 already).

Still buy tons of 2nd hand 7s though. In fact, am about to press 'buy' on a really lovely single by Stefan on the Stax label.

Sin Agog

Bought a few online that I just could not get anywhere else, but I think the last touchy-feely physical single I bought was back in '99.  It was My Vitriol's Always Your Way, solely because my aunt (pre-transition) was all over the music video that came with the CD.

Dr Syntax Head

Balloon by Catherine Wheel 12inch. Wow aren't I eclectic

JesusAndYourBush

Sadista Sisters - "Ragdoll Duchess", eBay, 2018.
If you mean singles bought in an actual shop, then you'd have to go back to 2002 when I bought various Britney Spears cd singles and cassette singles.

bgmnts

I've never bought a physical single. Thanks.

chveik

Chriddof

I buy a fair amount of singles / EPs from Bandcamp, but as for actual physical ones - probably 2017 when I got a couple of second hand 90s CD singles off of Discogs. They were "Divebomb" by Number One Cup and "Monday Morning 5:19" by Rialto.

Last brand new physical single from an actual shop... probably "The Masses Against The Classes" by the Manic Street Preachers, at the turn of the century.

Inspector Norse

I bought 'Silent Shout' by The Knife online about six years ago.

Thought I was buying the album of the same name.

Gregory Torso

I really love a 7" single (Mark Almond I bet you do bollocks oooh etc), been buying tons of them off discogs trying to recreate my teenage dream of having a room full of 1990s noise pigfuck lofi records that no one cares about anymore. I was thinking about starting a thread about 7 inch records but from the responses here, maybe not sad face

phantom_power

A couple of Frankie 12"s. They are great artefacts, as well as full of fine music. I want to collect them all now

jobotic

got hundreds of the fuckers but the last one I bought was probably 15 years ago at least. Old man, see?

I did by a cassette of Calvin Johnson when he played round here though, a compilation of obscure rock n roll instrumentals, and the bloody thing only plays out of one speaker.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Inspector Norse on February 29, 2020, 07:50:22 AM

phantom_power

Quote from: Inspector Norse on February 29, 2020, 07:50:22 AM

I had the same experience e buying Tusk off eBay

Danger Man

Probably something on Factory Records.

Happy Mondays Rave On EP?

Gregory Torso

Got back yesterday from seaside melancholia, a four day solitary sober traipse around Scarborough, and to my delight a big old box of 7"s from discogs was waiting for me. So happy, spinning records now by Soap Joh Henshi, Gary War, 16 Bitch Pile Up, Jack Knife, Sightings, Necropolis, Noxagt and Ashtray Navigations. Hooray for loving music that no one else seems to!

Jockice

Gangsters by The Specials.

(Actually it was the first but I just like showing off how cool I was as a kid.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on February 29, 2020, 03:33:51 PM
Gangsters by The Specials.

(Actually it was the first but I just like showing off how cool I was as a kid.)

The first CD single I got as a child, which I asked for was Billy Ray Cyrus.

I've never admitted this to another person I know in person.

holyzombiejesus

I think it's really sad that the 7" seems to be dying out. I genuinely think it's one of the greatest inventions in the history of the world. Something like, I dunno, Be My Baby or Hand in Glove or Heart of Glass, bought for pocket money prices and still, decades later can raise the hairs on the back of your neck and affect you in such a brilliant way.  I know that's not specific to 7"s but it seems quite sad to lose the format.

I've also noticed that most of the new singles i get are lathe cut rather than traditionally pressed. Often wondered if it would be worth investing in a record pressing plant or a lathe cutter thingy.

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 29, 2020, 03:38:12 PM
The first CD single I got as a child, which I asked for was Billy Ray Cyrus.

I've never admitted this to another person I know in person.

Full disclosure. I was 14 when I bought that first single. This is mainly because my sister left home when she was 17 and I was nine, and she took the only record player in the house (which she'd kept in her bedroom at home anyway) with her. It took me almost another five years to convince them that another one would be a useful thing for me to have. After all we had the radio and an eight-track and they bought me a cassette recorder so I could tape the top 40. I finally got a record player for my 14th birthday. And on that day Gangsters was first because it was the one I paid for first, but I also bought Up The Junction, Harmony In My Head, Rock Lobster, Money and Reasons To Be Cheerful (Part Three). All singles that I think still stand up today. I'm quite proud of that.

If it had been a couple of years earlier it would probably have been something by Showaddywaddy. Not that there's anything wrong with  Showaddywaddy of course.

jobotic

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 29, 2020, 11:55:49 AM
Got back yesterday from seaside melancholia, a four day solitary sober traipse around Scarborough, and to my delight a big old box of 7"s from discogs was waiting for me. So happy, spinning records now by Soap Joh Henshi, Gary War, 16 Bitch Pile Up, Jack Knife, Sightings, Necropolis, Noxagt and Ashtray Navigations. Hooray for loving music that no one else seems to!

I have a CD by 16 Bitch pile Up. It's bloody great. Last time i went to listen to it the case was empty. Agh!

Quite the story, no?

Jockice

Incidentally, I haven't the slightest idea what the last single I bought was. Genuinely haven't a clue. I'm an old man now.

Brundle-Fly

Probably something from Record Store Day. This maybe? 7" clear vinyl.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Pseudopath on February 28, 2020, 09:32:00 PM
Probably CD2 of Go to Sleep (from Radiohead's Hail to the Thief). Some cracking B-sides around that era

Agreed, the Com Lag EP with all of them on it was one of my favourite things by them when it came out!

I'm embarrassed to say the last single I got was probably some overpriced 12" on record store day that I regretted buying soon after. Thought I'd do the "right" thing and sell it for what I paid or less, but as it was a black labeled disc in an all black sleeve I didn't notice i'd left it on the sofa one night and knelt on the thing when looking out the window. Truly a cursed disc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 29, 2020, 03:43:43 PM
I think it's really sad that the 7" seems to be dying out. I genuinely think it's one of the greatest inventions in the history of the world. Something like, I dunno, Be My Baby or Hand in Glove or Heart of Glass, bought for pocket money prices and still, decades later can raise the hairs on the back of your neck and affect you in such a brilliant way.  I know that's not specific to 7"s but it seems quite sad to lose the format.

I've also noticed that most of the new singles i get are lathe cut rather than traditionally pressed. Often wondered if it would be worth investing in a record pressing plant or a lathe cutter thingy.

Pop's always been about what's new, and although be my baby is one of the best pop records of all time nobody gave a shit about it a few weeks later, 7" was all about shifting units, they were disposable in the eyes at the time.

I thought 'digitlathes' still involved pressing, it was just the master plates were poorly made with no reaI effort on masterin. I think in the future records might be printed, proof of concepts have been done, the resolution just needs to get better.

daf

If a 7 inch EP counts (4 tracks  33 ⅓ RPM), it's Gemma Jones Sings With The Alexander Faris Orchestra ‎– The Duchess Of Duke Street :

Bought on 28 March 2019 for £4.25 from ebay.

- - - - - -

The one before that was on 12 February 2018 : two CD singles bought together for £7.88 : Duffy  - London Girls & Sugar High - for the non-album b-sides : You, Me & God The Waitress' Story  /  The Girl Of The Year  /  Tempus Fugit  /  A Vision Of Bliss  &  The Sugar On The Pill [God bless the 90's - half an album spunked away as b-sides!]

- - - - - -

Last proper vinyl 7 inch single was The Beatles - The Ballad of John & Yoko (on 14 September 2016 - £6.74 ebay).

As the missing piece for my Mono Box, I had to buy this one twice, as the first copy I bought a couple of months earlier went missing in the post. The label had come unstuck - and was "helpfully" delivered to me without the actual package (so it's presumably still out there wandering through the world's Post offices like The Flying Dutchman eating chocolate cake in a bag).

kngen

Tons of DIY/underground 7in EPs, but the last proper picture sleeve 7in single bought in a record shop was probably The Darkness - 'Get Your Hands Off My Woman' (which the label's sales rep, who just happened to be in the shop at the time, had to go and get from his car. It was not being pushed particularly hard at the time, clearly).

Then they became huge, and I sold it for 50 quid on eBay at the height of their fame. A rare bit of good timing on my part, as they go for about a tenner now.