Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:49:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The last single you bought

Started by peanutbutter, February 28, 2020, 09:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Not sure actually... would've probly been a CD single, sometime in the early 2000's... think I was done with vinyl 12's a few years before that. Have to have a look up in the loft.

Campbell Soupe

Just the other week, CD single of Monkey Business by Pet Shop Boys... s'alright, God I'm such a hipster.

idunnosomename

i bought metallica i disappear for a pound from oxfam a couple of weeks ago. but only because i knew i could sell it for a little bit more on eBay. same with two 3 Libras singles I spotted in a Barnardos

well ok fuck it im unlikely to ever bother selling them tbh

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kngen on February 29, 2020, 06:04:02 PM
Tons of DIY/underground 7in EPs, but the last proper picture sleeve 7in single bought in a record shop was probably The Darkness - 'Get Your Hands Off My Woman' (which the label's sales rep, who just happened to be in the shop at the time, had to go and get from his car. It was not being pushed particularly hard at the time, clearly).

Then they became huge, and I sold it for 50 quid on eBay at the height of their fame. A rare bit of good timing on my part, as they go for about a tenner now.

Long before the vinyl revival, a standard trick in the ladfill indie era of the 2000's was smashing your advertising budget on a lossy 7". Getting the top spot of the nme charts was worth more than many adverts.

Crabwalk

I ordered the new 33rpm 7" from Vanishing Twin a week ago. 4 brand new tracks in a limited pressing of 500 to help fund their US tour.

https://ramtapes.bandcamp.com/

I don't make a habit of it though. Prior to that  I bought 'I Feel For You' on 7" from Barnardos last year, and 'Canadian Ranger' by Fitness Forever the year before that, as it had an exclusive b-side (and I'm a FF completist).

easytarget

Egyptian Feast

I have one of those record players that require you to change the speed manually, so I rarely break out the 7 inchers, but I still buy the odd one. The Lovely Eggs do great limited 7" in freaky colours (or, in one case, a fried egg design) with typically excellent sleeve art and a personalised note & drawing from the duo (if you buy directly from them). I've pre-ordered their latest 'Still Second Rate', which apparently contains a recreation of the Working Tax Credit hotline hold music, on snot-green vinyl! Looking forward to adding that one to the collection.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 01, 2020, 01:36:02 AM
I ordered the new 33rpm 7" from Vanishing Twin a week ago. 4 brand new tracks in a limited pressing of 500 to help fund their US tour.

https://ramtapes.bandcamp.com/

Received the 7" today. Same day that they announced that they've had to cancel the US tour due to you know what. Must be absolutely gutting for them.

Pauline Walnuts

Diving 7" by Art School Girlfriend

Panbaams

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on February 29, 2020, 07:46:15 PM
Just the other week, CD single of Monkey Business by Pet Shop Boys... s'alright, God I'm such a hipster.

Same here! I've just ordered their next single too (on CD and 12").

Beagle 2

I think it would have been Being Followed by Rocket Science in about 2003 (think it was re-released in the UK). The same year I installed Soulseek. Soz musicians.

Last one I remember buying was the CD single of Gett Off by Prince (1991).  I wanted to get my hands on the "rare" Urge Single Edit which, in my opinion, was much better than the normal mix that they used to play on the radio.

It was an edit of this version, remixed by Steve "Silk" Hurley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bi-xdXFsqk

Quote from: Darles Chickens on March 13, 2020, 11:39:33 AM
It was an edit of this version, remixed by Steve "Silk" Hurley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bi-xdXFsqk

That's such a good mix, I used to play the Houstyle mix off the US import when I was DJing, I think it's the only time I've liked an outside remix of a Prince tune.

buzby

Last 7" single - a split single of Soundhog edits of Magic Potion by The Open Mind and  Spider And The Fly by The Dakotas, released on Spoke Records in 2013 (I bought it in 2015).

Last CD Single - Restless by New Order, the last single off Music Complete, released in 2016.

Panbaams

Quote from: buzby on March 13, 2020, 01:14:01 PM
Last CD Single - Restless by New Order, the last single off Music Complete, released in 2016.

?

It was the first of four "proper" singles from Music Complete (in that they were all released on CD and 12").

buzby

Quote from: Panbaams on March 13, 2020, 01:35:08 PM
?

It was the first of four "proper" singles from Music Complete (in that they were all released on CD and 12").
Sorry - of course it was! I should have said it was People On the High Line. There were 4 physical singles - Restless, Tutti Fruitti, Singularity and POTHL. Plastic was also released as a download-only single, just before the album.

cosmic-hearse

Absolutely love the 7" single - the perfect pop format. Nothing better than an evening in listening to singles whilst having a little drink. Their brevity is an advantage as the need to physically handle them every few minutes means it never just regresses to background music.

I buy them all the time (most recently from Discogs or Reckless in London). In the past week or so:
Dolly Parton - In the Ghetto (mainly for its haunting suicide ballad 'The Bridge' on the b-side)
Y Trwynau Coch ‎- Merched Dan 15 (Welsh powerpop)
Wolfhounds - Happy Shopper
True Adventure - Outlaw Love (junkshop glam stomper)
Change - Wildcat (ditto)

I was thinking about a much maligned format recently that has yet to be revived: the cassette single. I don't think I've seen one in 20 years. Where did they all go?

Pauline Walnuts

D'oh, that's a point, the last single, as in 2 tracks on a physical thing, I got was actually this: