Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good games for muting and playing music

Started by Sin Agog, February 28, 2020, 10:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

I sometimes have the problem of not knowing what to do with myself when I've got tunes blasting.  It only takes the first two or three songs to exhaust CAB and check my emails.  Staring at the wall can occupy the opening bar of the fourth track.  After that I'm out of ideas.  So what are your favourite games to blast music along with?  Spelunky's always gold for this.  Could barely partake in all the GTA radio station nostalgia everyone got involved with 'cause I almost never had the sound up.  Sometimes find twin-stick shooters are great to play this way.  GoNNer's my go-to muted game lately.  More, please.

Famous Mortimer

Any game you've played more than once, or if you're going back to a game to mop up all the achievements.

I did this with multiple maps on "Borderlands 3", just going back for an achievement and popping on a podcast to listen to while I do it.

Or...something like "Puzzle Quest" on the Switch? Basically, I'm just suggesting the last two games I played, sorry.

bgmnts

Any online game really; Fifa, Apex Legends, RDR2 etc

PlanktonSideburns

Space ghost

I always find golf games are good for this purpose, whatever the Tiger Woods series is calling itself these days. That or pinball fx3 or pinball fx2.

Dewt

Games you can play and watch TV/movies at the same time are great

Like I dunno, Civ

C_Larence

Quote from: bgmnts on February 28, 2020, 10:40:26 PM
Any online game really; Fifa, Apex Legends, RDR2 etc

Disagree on Apex, not being able to hear properly is a severe disadvantage.

imo Rocket League is the best for this

bgmnts

Quote from: C_Larence on February 28, 2020, 11:21:38 PM
Disagree on Apex, not being able to hear properly is a severe disadvantage.

Not if you're top tier like me.

beanheadmcginty

Mobius

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Helps if the in game radio stations are shit. For Fallout 4 I found a Spotify playlist called Sounds Of The Commonwealth that had about 500 songs from the 30s, 40s and 50s on it.

Driving games are good as well. Forza, that sort of thing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Inspector Norse

Nothing beats playing a bit of Resident Evil with the sound off and Tiny Tim on the stereo

magval

PS4 Spider-Man is a lovely game for cutting about in. GTAV also has a lovely map for driving around. Platformers are good for listening to music to.

Fry

Very difficult platform games like Celeste for me. Sitting on one screen for 30 minutes trying to get past a bastard c-side stage is a lot less trying when you can have a pod on in the background.

Ferris

Sports games. FIFA/MLB/NHL games are all massively improved by turning the sound off so you don't hear the commentators drone out their preordained shit.

C_Larence

Does anyone else get associated memories from listening to podcasts and gaming? I can vividly see parts of Ratchet & Clank when I think of the Ricky Gervais episodes I listened to while playing.

magval

Oh yeah. I got into Athletico Mince by binging like 30 episodes playing through the first couple Arkham games. I also have very specific Ratchet and Clank memories tied to Lionel Nimrod sketches.

peanutbutter

GBA SP having no headphone jack means my memories of games on it are almost entirely soundtracked by the albums I bought at the same time. I imagine this is a big part of why that particular console seems to have close to no nostalgia for its music.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: C_Larence on February 29, 2020, 12:36:03 PM
Does anyone else get associated memories from listening to podcasts and gaming? I can vividly see parts of Ratchet & Clank when I think of the Ricky Gervais episodes I listened to while playing.

Same podcast, Burnout Takedown.  Adam and Joe with Carmageddon.  A pattern emerges...

Kryton

Most strategy games or puzzle games I reckon.

buttgammon

About five years ago, Mrs G got an old secondhand PS2 and I used to play Metal Gear Solid 2 while listening to Basic Channel, Chain Reaction, and similar dub techno. For the atmosphere of the game, the music was perfect - it was a stunning combination.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 29, 2020, 12:46:43 AM
XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM

"XCOM XCOM, you're my XCOM"

I quite like playing simulator/management style games with music in the background, so stuff like Cities:Skylines or Train Simulator.

Dewt

The absolute best game I can think of for this is Game Boy Donkey Kong

Also the absolute best game full stop in any context.

Bence Fekete

Elite Dangerous + Cluster, Floyd or anything generally ponderous/edgy vibes

samadriel