Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:42:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Masterchef is back!

Started by wooders1978, February 28, 2020, 10:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Ravioli man missed a trick by not just cooking ravioli twice again.

beanheadmcginty

Big fan of Beverly in this. She seems like great fun.

WestHill

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 27, 2020, 09:20:00 PM
Big fan of Beverly in this. She seems like great fun.

She smiles as if she's trying to hold it in. Like it's a guilty pleasure.

wooders1978

I started off being a bit irritated by her but she's massively won me over and I'm a confirmed bev-head now

Gurke and Hare

Blue Jam

Tom Kitchin has a very annoying face. He looks like a crap Willy Wonka. If he had a factory it wouldn't make chocolate, it would make Spam, and it would have Egg Wallace walking round in a mobcap shouting about Spam.

dr beat

I really dislike Tom Kitchin.  He's the Steve Fleming to Gordon Ramsay's Malcolm Tucker.

beanheadmcginty

I just assumed it was Charlie Drake.

Ray Travez

His name bugs me. Like being called Terry Cooking or Freddy Four-Ring-Hob.

Jittlebags

Shame I didn't start this game from week 1 rather than Finals Week, but I'm amusing myself working out which contestant may have a clit ring, Prince Albert, or indeed a meatotomy. I suspect Greg has the later.

Puce Moment

Quite surprised that hangover man is still in this - my money is on the serious bloke to win.

wooders1978

Sorry to see emperor Ming go out

Laaandaan geezer clearly going to win but hope my little crush on Sandy will see her raise the trophy

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 17, 2020, 08:29:27 AM
Sorry to see emperor Ming go out

That was total fucking bullshit. Bloke's semifreddo "could be lighter" and isn't raspberry ripple like he promised. Lass's is all absolutely delicious, but they'd prefer the bits to be in different parts of the plate, so she's out. WTF?

Yeah, I'm #teamsandy too.

Puce Moment

Yeah, I have to say that my natural inverted snobbery meant I didn't like Posh Lady at first, but she really has proven herself to be an excellent cook. The complaint about things being on different parts of the plate seemed an especially shite reason to kick her out. I actually thought she was the only one to challenge Sullen Man so I assume he will romp home with this tonight.

thugler

Fucks sake.. Fish and chips is not a final winning dish ffs

sevendaughters

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 09, 2020, 09:05:44 PM
Tom Kitchin has a very annoying face. He looks like a crap Willy Wonka. If he had a factory it wouldn't make chocolate, it would make Spam, and it would have Egg Wallace walking round in a mobcap shouting about Spam.

Poundstretcher Marco Pierre White

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: thugler on April 17, 2020, 08:34:57 PM
Fucks sake.. Fish and chips is not a final winning dish ffs

Especially when you forgot to do the fucking chips.

And his tart had a soggy bottom. Mary Berry would have fucked him straight off with that.

They both agreed the pastry wasn't cooked properly, which was the only issue they found with his three courses. John didn't like the pears on Sandy's main course, but Gregg did, so on average there was half an issue with her three courses. What a fucking swizz.

Ray Travez

I think that win says more about Egg and Torode and their expectations than it does about the chefs. They're ultimately pretty conservative in their tastes.

I'm often amused when they say a dish is "interesting" when they're in a restaurant- I reckon it's a polite and coded way of saying they think it's wacky and shit.

For me, they chose the least interesting trio of dishes, but ones that conform to a certain set of expectations about what fine dining should be.

beanheadmcginty

My flatmate asked me why I insisted on making up silly nicknames for all the contestants (as most people on here have done) instead of calling them by their actual names as she does. I explained that I'm utterly shit with names and if they're not literally written down in front of me I'm extremely unlikely to remember them. "BUT IN THIS CASE THEY LITERALLY ARE WRITTEN DOWN. THEY HAVE THEIR ACTUAL NAMES SEWN ON THEIR APRONS. LOOK."
I have to admit, she had a point. Got me wondering - Is the name forgetting thing some unconscious wilful act? If I've been deliberately forgetting everyone's names all these years without realising it I'm going to be furious, because it's really inconvenient.

wooders1978

Seriously, how adorable was Sandy and her grub looked great (in the final, for the blue soup she served up in a previous round I'm with John and Gregg)

Laandan geezer basically served up versions of stuff he'd done before and I must agree it all seemed very billy basic.

I can't help but feel Sandy was robbed however the fat on her lamb didn't look very well rendered to me, I reckon John and Gregg may have said so too but it was edited out for fear of seeing them going on about it

Puce Moment

Yeah, not sure his dishes were up to the quality of a Masterchef final, but it seemed like he had it bagged very early on. I don't think he would have won against the last three winners. He may not have even reached the final.

I was asking chocolate_teapot if John and Gregg are best friends and apparently they're not. This goes all the way back to 2007.

John speaks:
Quote"It's funny, we've never been friends. We've not been to each other's houses.

"If we do go out for a drink, I'll invariably be at one end of a big old table and he'll be at the other."

This is a funny image. I suppose he meant there's lots of other people there though.

Twit 2

Just caught up with the final.

I think Gastrowank deserved the title. Ultimately, food is for people to eat and everything he cooked through the whole competition was intended to be fucking delicious. Sandy was interesting and quirky with by far the widest range of cuisine, almost the polar opposite of Pubstodge City Trader.
But I'd rather eat a pie than a weird blue sauce. Northern Bloke had incredible presentation skills but ultimately I think Bankwank Pie & Pint Cunt had the winning mix of consistency with heart and soul. He won me over as the competition went on. But can't remember a final recently that was such a close call with three contestants who are so different and you could easily argue the case for any of them.