Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,209
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Whitney Houston's Hologram

Started by Custard, February 29, 2020, 07:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

No she hasn't come back to life and formed a prog rock outfit, sadly.

No, her "live" hologram tour has just kicked off. And it's sounds grim as fuck

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51636482

BlodwynPig

"FUCK SAKE GEORGE, GET THAT FUCKING HOLOGRAM BATHTUB OFF...NOW!!!"

Lemming

Don't get why everyone is so against this in concept. There's something unpleasant about the way its executed here (ie clearly a money-making ploy) but the idea of having musicians in holographic form is a good one. Especially when they might eventually be sold for home use. You can have a Diana Ross concert in your kitchen! You can have an alarm clock that projects Morrissey (pre-racism) into your room! You can project Sum-41 into the living room of your enemies to piss them off!

As for "resurrecting" dead people as holograms, I wonder if people would still be against the idea if it were, say, a hologram of a historical figure like JFK at a museum. He could actually take visitors around and narrate things. Then when it gets to the part about his assassination, his holographic head could blow apart and shower awed visitors with holographic blood.

Also, I love this line in the article:
Quote"Get off!" yelled another. They knew automated Whitney would have no response. They were showing her up for what she was: a pre-recorded fake.

Yeah you paid a fortune to see a hologram and then, INGENIOUSLY, proved that it was in fact a hologram. Next, try heckling your MP3 player and then smugly pointing out that the band has no response.

TheMonk

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 29, 2020, 07:47:37 AM
No she hasn't come back to life and formed a prog rock outfit, sadly.

No, her "live" hologram tour has just kicked off. And it's sounds grim as fuck

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51636482
What a miserable existence being a backup dancer for a hologram Whitney Houston must be.
Oh the moments of mid morning bed turning self contemplation that must come with that.

lipsink

Have you actually seen the hologram? Fucking hell.

Clip here at 5:30 of it performing especially for Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford on This Morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFmEk9gip9A

It's funny how both Eamonn and Ruth pretend to be so impressed by it at the end even though when it cuts away to them they're barely even watching the performance. Desperate stuff. The backing singers look like they want to be dead too.

bgmnts

Would love it if her hologram gains intelligence and starts smashing the coke.

George White

Quote from: lipsink on February 29, 2020, 12:16:06 PM

Clip here at 5:30 of it performing especially for Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford on This Morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFmEk9gip9A

It's funny how both Eamonn and Ruth pretend to be so impressed by it at the end even though when it cuts away to them they're barely even watching the performance. Desperate stuff. The backing singers look like they want to be dead too.
It's like a background character in a videogame from 2004.

finnquark

Quote from: Lemming on February 29, 2020, 11:54:06 AM
As for "resurrecting" dead people as holograms, I wonder if people would still be against the idea if it were, say, a hologram of a historical figure like JFK at a museum.

lipsink

Quote from: bgmnts on February 29, 2020, 12:40:36 PM
Would love it if her hologram gains intelligence and starts smashing the coke.

During that performance imagine if did an ED-209 and shot shit out of Eamonn and Ruth.

imitationleather

Wish I could have had a dad one of these when I was growing up.

jobotic

Ruth's looking at her phone! Oh Ruth.

Imagine as you take your last breath you're informed that you will be recreated in hologram form to perform for a bored and itchy Eammon Holmes.

Custard

ABBA are meant to be sending out a hologram version of themselves on tour soon, and they're still alive

Lazy bearded cunts

lipsink

Quote from: jobotic on February 29, 2020, 02:36:06 PM
Ruth's looking at her phone! Oh Ruth.

She's filming it on her phone too! Erm, Ruth I think it's already being filmed, mate.

the science eel

well HE'S not watching 'cos he's as thick as mince and doesn't care about anything except what's on his plate. But she's impressed enough.

How much IQ point difference between those two? 50?

I don't see anything wrong with this hologram tour thing, btw. Not sure if it's "the future" tho'

imitationleather

Someone please tell me when the tape has finished loading and the Mark E Smith one can be wheeled on to the road.

ollyboro

Can someone do a Michael Jackson one? If it tries to bum any kids we can put all the arguments to bed once and for all.

idunnosomename

will hackpertz

how much does he get paid to write this baby babble. fuck we know holograms are shit money spinners. go fuck yourself

TheMonk

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 29, 2020, 02:38:11 PM
ABBA are meant to be sending out a hologram version of themselves on tour soon, and they're still alive

Lazy bearded cunts
The very point of a live concert is that it's live. That you are sharing a moment in time with someone you admire, someone who's music means something to you. Experiencing their energy, as they feed off yours.
Without that it really isn't anything, is it?

Keebleman

There was a tour last year with holograms of Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison.  I worked at the Cardiff one but was posted away from the stage so didn't get to see how convincing they were.  By all accounts the punters were happy, felt they got their money's worth.

The next night in Birmingham the Orbison hologram didn't appear as he was unhappy about the billing.

Custard

Who remembers the Les Dawson one?

https://youtu.be/0Tu2Fihwt1E

Tbf it seems to work a bit better with comedy than music

alan nagsworth

Quote from: TheMonk on February 29, 2020, 11:47:35 PM
The very point of a live concert is that it's live. That you are sharing a moment in time with someone you admire, someone who's music means something to you. Experiencing their energy, as they feed off yours.
Without that it really isn't anything, is it?

Light is energy so this is as real as it gets mate

alan nagsworth

That article is absolutely atrocious. The sneering cynicism is so uncalled for, it made me laugh a few times.

Quote"Get off!" yelled another. They knew automated Whitney would have no response. They were showing her up for what she was: a pre-recorded fake.

Oh yes it's so fake isn't it, so fake indeed that you've just gone and fucking gendered particles of light you bald prick

QuoteBut it does run the risk of appearing macabre and exploitative.

Whatever happened to the notion of Rest in Peace?

Oh yes her poor corpse! So glad someone is finally saying this. Those laboratory crooks who dug her up in the dead of blackest night and took photos of her decaying face from every conceivable angle just so they could digitally recreate it, I bet they couldn't resist having a go on her cadaver while they had the chance, waggling her jaw up and down whilst saying "Actually I'm NOT every woman!", laughing themselves stupid as her lifeless visage could do nothing but absorb her surroundings, much like the black night outside absorbs any light that hits it, and how the darkness of every theatre in the world will absorb her when she is composed entirely of light, beaming out to an adoring crowd that doesn't know her endless pain, as she automatically raises a ghastly finger and tells the audience "I will always love you", a finger which points above all of their heads and up to the projection booth where those fiendish scientists sit, mercilessly flagellating their dicks forever and ever. She will never rest and she will never know peace.

Icehaven

Having flesh and blood backing singers just shows up how unreal the hologram looks in comparison. They'd be better off either having hologram ones or none at all. Also if they had hologram ones they could have, I dunno, Billie Holliday and Queen Victoria.

non capisco

These always remind me of a Paul F. Tompkins aside on an episode of the Comedy Bang Bang podcast, where they were talking about a similar touring hologram of Tupac Shakur and PFT (can't remember if he was in character or not) wondered whether before the gig the Tupac hologram is sitting backstage all nervous. That image cracked me up.

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno who's worse, the rights holders bilking money from a dead horse or the people willingly paying to see them.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 01, 2020, 07:43:42 PM
the rights holders bilking money from a dead horse

*Brainwave*

Is there any rule which would specifically bar a hologram Shergar from entering the Derby?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on March 01, 2020, 07:45:40 PM
*Brainwave*

Is there any rule which would specifically bar a hologram Shergar from entering the Derby?

Think it'd have to be all or nothing. People have been betting on virtual dogs and horses in bookies in between races for years though.

Holographic dog or horse tracks would prevent a lot of animal abuse I guess. Wonder if it would heighten or lower the fixing.

Shit Good Nose

Calls to mind the recent Frank Zappa world "Hologram Tour", where punters were equally unimpressed.  Although in that case it wasn't even a hologram (merely shown on a large OLED screen), and even then only about 40 minutes of the show "featured" FZ, with the bulk of it given over to Ahmet Zappa "reinterpreting" some of his dad's greatest hits.  The backing band - mostly FZ alumni - were by all accounts excellent, but most punter reviews suggest it was all a bit of a travesty and little more than some Ahmet Zappa ego trip.

All this after the Zappa family bus-up a few years ago where Ahmet had a go at Dweezil for tarnishing their dad's work and memory by calling his shows Zappa Plays Zappa.  Hmm.

idunnosomename

The thing about these "holograms" is they're not really very space age at all. They're just an image projected on a sheet of  moderately special glass (in that it doesn't have two reflective layers, just one). It's been used since the 19th century (Pepper's ghost) and they're not true holograms because they're just flat

The only thing that improves is how they create that image in the first place