Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

KUNG FU MOVIE

Started by Fry, February 29, 2020, 12:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

My mate, my girlfriend and I are gonna get stoned, order a curry and watch a KUNG FU movie tonight. Any recommendations?

bgmnts

Shaw Brothers film, no exception.

Crippled Avengers
Five Elements Ninja
Five Venoms.

One of those.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Head Gardener

DrGreggles

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 29, 2020, 01:16:14 PM

Tsk.  Everyone knows 2 is the best one.

Police Story
Project A 1 and/or 2
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Armour of God 2
Anything by King Hu

SavageHedgehog

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 29, 2020, 05:34:05 PM
Ong Bak

Backpack.

(Sorry, it's a very obscure Adam and Joe callback that's been annoyingly stuck in my head for the past sixteen odd years).

Goldentony

Portrait In Crystal
Demon Of The Lute
Descendant Of The Sun
Buddha's Palm
Boxer's Omen
Bride With White Hair
Bastard Swordsman
Zu Warriors From The Magic Mountain

All of these, flying, lasers, chaos, the fucking lot, jib anything with schools being avenged or whatever

Urinal Cake

A touch of Zen
Come drink with me
Kung Fu Hustle

Kung Fu Hustle is a good date movie.

Goldentony

oh and FUCK ALL PANDAS GET THEM FUYCKING KILLED

Goldentony

dont show anyone touch of zen stoned, its hard work as it is, its like getting the lads round to get smashed on bags and reading fucking statistics to them

chveik

Quote from: Goldentony on March 01, 2020, 02:01:01 AM

seconded. pure madness. I'm quite fond of the remake Legend of Zu too.

and speaking of Tsui Hark, the Once Upon A Time in China series.

Mister Six

Kung Fu Hustle is huge fun and massively accessible to everyone.

Shaolin Soccer is also great, but make sure you watch the original one (that starts out in black and white) not the Weinstein-butchered Miramax release).

kalowski

Quote from: bgmnts on February 29, 2020, 12:50:50 PM
Shaw Brothers film, no exception.

Crippled Avengers
Five Elements Ninja
Five Venoms.

One of those.
Absolutely. Fucking classics. The non Shaw brothers film I'd suggest is Mystery of Chessboxing.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Fry on February 29, 2020, 12:49:42 PM
My mate, my girlfriend and I are gonna get stoned, order a curry and watch a KUNG FU movie tonight. Any recommendations?

The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk

Brilliant stuff from a young Jet Li that starts out happy-go-lucky fun Kung Fu set pieces then flips to avenging action.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Goldentony on March 01, 2020, 02:01:01 AM

All of these, flying, lasers, chaos, the fucking lot, jib anything with schools being avenged or whatever

Thirded. It's utterly fucking hatstand. Are the others in your list as bonkers? Don't know any of them.

chveik

Iron Monkey is worth a watch too

kalowski

So is Mad Monkey Kung Fu.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

bgmnts

It's not much of a Kung Fu film from a purist standpoint but Hitman with Jet Li is brilliant.

phantom_power

Fist of Fucking Legend

batwings

MojoJojo

batwings

Famous Mortimer

Undefeatable, the Cynthia Rothrock movie. Manages to make negative amounts of sense.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

So what film did you end up choosing, Fry?

More importantly, what curry?

Goldentony

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on March 01, 2020, 08:21:48 PM
Thirded. It's utterly fucking hatstand. Are the others in your list as bonkers? Don't know any of them.

Yeah, Portrait In Crystal, Demon Of The Lute, Descendant Of The Sun, Boxer's Omen and Buddha's Palm are all similar shades of demented. None of that shite ghost/maggot stuff that sometimes gets into the weirder Kung Fu stuff. Just wild, bright fantasy madness. Boxer's Omen I remember being a bit darker than the others but i'd need to see it again. Not especially kung fu, but Super Inframan is another good Shaw one with a lot of odd shit. Bat Without Wings has a character with Gene Simmons KISS make up. Also try A Chinese Ghost Story.

Bride With White Hair is a great, great film. So much energy and mad gothic twattery. Bizarrely directed by yer man who did The 51st State and Freddy Vs Jason.

Bastards Swordsman, also great, watch this with DEATH DUEL.

Also, reminded of Child Of Peach. First one is amazing, Thai fantasy film with a giant peach flying around pissing on things. And since i'm here have a go at Yuen Woo-pings Miracle Fighters/Shaolin Drunkard/Drunken Tai Chi trilogy

Sin Agog

Aye, Bride With White Hair used to be in my top ten when I were a teenager.  Stumbled across it at a time when I needed comforting by a weird Mandarin magical aunt-uncle hybrid, and that movie did the job so brilliantly.  Rewatched it a year or so ago, and despite the muddy print, it's still a beaut, and, significantly, a good deal better paced than some of the more hyper chop suey films out there.