Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Corn(y) Gags And Barley Gags..."

Started by TJ, April 19, 2005, 01:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Some years back, a book based on the popular comedy website "TV Go Home" was published in time for the Christmas market. It sold well but not brilliantly, with some people who quite liked the website (myself included) feeling that the material had lost something in transit, and if memory serves correctly even Charlie Brooker himself feeling that it was a bit of a poor relation of the original.

Now fast-forward a couple of years, after one of the TVGH characters has featured in his own sitcom, and the not-that-long-out-of-print book is changing hands for ridiculous sums. When the legend 'featuring Nathan Barley' is inserted into the seller's description, the prices rocket even higher.

So what does this tell us? Is the average Chris Morris fan a dangerous obsessive with scant regard for quality who has to haev everything even vaguely connected with his shows or else*? Was everyone wrong about the book? What if that rumoured Morris-fronted Radio Bristol promo cassette turned out to be real after all and appeared on eBay - would as many people fall over each other to get their hands on that?

*On the evidence of the average demanding email we get here at CaB the answer is 'yes', but it's worth debating anyway.

Village Branson

If "welljackson.com" sells for any money on eBay, then I'll lose faith in something.

The book's £21 at the moment.
Can't say I've read mine in a while....

DuncanC

I didn't like the book either, but I was under the impression it was generally liked (by those who liked the site).

There are a couple of badly-chosen representation books of websites - the original Onion book (Finest News Reporting?) and the Framley Examiner one (though I did quite like the second Framley book).

Yeti

Has anyone had a look on Amazon to see what they are going for on there.  There are 3 for sale, 1 at £40 and 2 at £150.

£150?

Who would be that desperate to buy one of these for that price.  I'll keep an eye on them and if they start going it may be time tyo part company with it, although I don't normally sell books or CDs, whenever I have in the past I've regretted it.

imitationleather

What?!

Christ, I hope I still have my copy...

Derek Trucks

Amazon sellers normally try and sell their wares for silly money anyway - £21 tho, I know a few libraries that stock it.

For what I recall, its a reasonably entertaining read - no better or worse than the fake tv show thread on the Gen. Discussion board.

Bogey

Fucking hell, I lent mine to someone and never got it back, I never expected to care, particularly.

Jon_Norton

You can get Two Ronnies jokebooks for 99p on Amazon.