Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:36:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Onward (2020) - new Pixar movie

Started by surreal, March 01, 2020, 06:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Caught this yesterday - new Pixar movie featuring Chris Pratt and Tom Holland in the lead roles.  Basic plot is set in a post-fantasy fantasy world, so imagine your classic Dungeons & Dragons / LotR / etc landscape with fantastical creatures but moved forward into the modern day so magic has been forgotten.  Creatures with wings don't fly any more but drive cars etc.  Your basic Pixar setup.

Without spoiling too much (cos the main conceit is a bit of a surprise and pretty funny) the two leads are on a Quest to use magic to be able to spend one more day with their deceased father.  The modern world seems determined to frustrate them at every turn, chased by police etc. 

i thought it took a good long while to actually get going, it seemed like the first third was all set up and it really didn't settle with me until the final act to be honest.  However, I though they nailed the ending, and the whole thing is pretty good overall.

Summary - mid-tier Pixar but worth a look.  Most annoying thing was the fact that the traditional Pixar short had been replaced by a terrible fucking Simpsons short with no dialogue.  WTF Disney?

I think "Soul" is next from Pixar?  That looks like it might be better.

idunnosomename

The central conceit is all over the trailers.

I think this looks like one of the more interesting Pixar films in a while. I love how one of the brothers has a battle jacket with fantasy band patches on (imagine animating that by hand!!)

BlodwynPig

lipsink

Got 5 stars in EMPIRE (though I know that probably means fuck all) Loved Coco and Inside Out so I wish Pixar would stick to doing more original stories rather than hot and miss sequels which presumably bring most of the money in(Incredibles 2 was meh, Toy Story 4 was a fucking joy).

idunnosomename

I cant believe how with all the potential of the incredibles they squandered it with more of the same. Right down to continuing the Underminer fight which should've just been left as a memorable ending

surreal

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 01, 2020, 09:31:31 AM
The central conceit is all over the trailers.

Ah, clearly I must only have seen a teaser as I don't remember the legs... Did make me laugh though, I thought they were going for a Weekend at Bernie's thing with it.

Bazooka

The main characters look crap, I've seen those same faces time and time again, but these are blue.

idunnosomename

the guardian got a load of stick for running a "frozen... for boys!" review but i think to be fair to them brotherly relationships are different to the sisterly one explored in frozen. which is fine except for the lame twist evil boyfriend which makes no sense

so yeah whatever will watch this when i can be arsed

ToneLa

Quote from: surreal on March 01, 2020, 06:38:05 AM
Basic plot is set in a post-fantasy fantasy world, so imagine your classic Dungeons & Dragons / LotR / etc landscape with fantastical creatures but moved forward into the modern day so magic has been forgotten.  Creatures with wings don't fly any more but drive cars etc.  Your basic Pixar setup.

Tired fantasy AND cars

I'm out

olliebean

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 05, 2020, 12:38:23 AM
the guardian got a load of stick for running a "frozen... for boys!" review but i think to be fair to them brotherly relationships are different to the sisterly one explored in frozen. which is fine except for the lame twist evil boyfriend which makes no sense

so yeah whatever will watch this when i can be arsed

Are there songs in it? Or are they implying that boys don't like songs, so Frozen for boys wouldn't have any?

surreal

Quote from: olliebean on March 05, 2020, 12:30:30 PM
Are there songs in it? Or are they implying that boys don't like songs, so Frozen for boys wouldn't have any?

No songs, bit of silly dancing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: surreal on March 01, 2020, 06:38:05 AM
Caught this yesterday - new Pixar movie featuring Chris Pratt and Tom Holland in the lead roles.  Basic plot is set in a post-fantasy fantasy world, so imagine your classic Dungeons & Dragons / LotR / etc landscape with fantastical creatures but moved forward into the modern day so magic has been forgotten.  Creatures with wings don't fly any more but drive cars etc.  Your basic Pixar setup.

Without spoiling too much (cos the main conceit is a bit of a surprise and pretty funny) the two leads are on a Quest to use magic to be able to spend one more day with their deceased father.  The modern world seems determined to frustrate them at every turn, chased by police etc. 

i thought it took a good long while to actually get going, it seemed like the first third was all set up and it really didn't settle with me until the final act to be honest.  However, I though they nailed the ending, and the whole thing is pretty good overall.

Summary - mid-tier Pixar but worth a look.  Most annoying thing was the fact that the traditional Pixar short had been replaced by a terrible fucking Simpsons short with no dialogue.  WTF Disney?

I think "Soul" is next from Pixar?  That looks like it might be better.

I was quite fond of this, the above review sums it perfectly really, it needed to be a little more unpredictable and it takes too long to get going, but once it does it was visually playful and there's a lot of fun moments. Not Pixar at it's best without any doubt, but still pretty good. 7.5/10

wooders1978

It's good and I agree with the 3rd act stick the landing synopsis - it's on Disney plus now

phantom_power

They really do know how to kick you in the emotional cunt bollocks don't they. That ending was lovely and heartbreaking and all the other stuff, just like the end of Inside Out, Coco and the rest

wooders1978

Quote from: phantom_power on October 11, 2020, 02:59:58 PM
They really do know how to kick you in the emotional cunt bollocks don't they. That ending was lovely and heartbreaking and all the other stuff, just like the end of Inside Out, Coco and the rest

Fucking too right mate
Spoiler alert
as someone who has good brothers and a deceased pa, it really hit my weepy button
[close]