Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:26:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - The Next Generation

Started by dr_christian_troy, March 02, 2020, 12:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on August 04, 2020, 01:59:53 PM
I've just discovered these edit clips and they're hilarious. They remind me in part of the editing in Sealab 2021.

If anyone knows of anything else like this I'd be very open to recommendations. Much needed silliness.

Yep, those are the Jandrew Edits
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebVideo/JandrewEdits

If you missed those, you might have also missed the TNG Season 8 twitter

https://twitter.com/tng_s8
QuoteWes gets his amber collecting club trapped in amber. Picard's end-of-episode speech segues into a meandering rant on turbolift etiquette.
Picard's production of MacBeth becomes far too real. Having torn apart the warp core, Geordi now thinks the weird noise is coming from Data.

Sadly, the guy behind that is involved with that new Lower Decks mess, but if you can scroll past that, there's some amusing synopses for what we could have seen.

Famous Mortimer

Thanks to that Pluto.TV app on the Roku, I can catch an episode of this whenever I like. This lunchtime was the last half of season 3, and there are some great episodes there. I like the one where Picard goes for a holiday to Risa and meets the sexy archaeologist/thief lady and the weirdly Chinese Ferengi guy.

Here was the bit where I forgot she showed up again (a few times) so I'm editing this to make the reader of the future think I was slightly smarter than I am. Star Trek TNG rules, though, and so many episodes would have made pilots for pretty decent spin-offs.

purlieu

Spoiler alert
Can't tell if you're joking or not.
[close]

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: purlieu on September 12, 2020, 08:33:22 PM
Spoiler alert
Can't tell if you're joking or not.
[close]
Did she show up again?

*goes to check*

Ah fuck, I feel like an idiot now. I was trying to get across, more in the spirit of my words than the strict "meaning", how many great ideas TNG had. In my defence, Q was my least favourite "central" thing about TNG so I tend not to bother rewatching his episodes.

dr_christian_troy

Debating about re-watching this all over again soon with my housemate who is very, very new to the Star Trek franchise. I have a feeling I may to explain a few things in relation as to how Season 1 and 2 have a few shitfy episodes though.

dr_christian_troy

I may revisit the two-part episodes initially. Time's Arrow is great fun - even if Mark Twain is an utterly bizarre irritant, very amusing but perhaps not for the reasons they intended.

EDIT: Blimey, I didn't realise Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens was played by Jerry Hardin - aka Deep Throat from The X-Files. Or that his daughter is Jan from the US version of The Office!

Famous Mortimer

I don't think the first two series are as bad as people make out. Some of them feel very much like TOS episodes, but as I love TOS almost as much as TNG, it's not exactly a chore to sit through them.

crankshaft

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 06, 2020, 07:18:50 PM
I don't think the first two series are as bad as people make out. Some of them feel very much like TOS episodes, but as I love TOS almost as much as TNG, it's not exactly a chore to sit through them.

The first season is a mess; the second less so, but they're still generally very watchable. I'd watch season one on repeat before sitting through the borefest that is season seven.

Mobbd

Agreed. Fucking love it. People are strange.

greenman

A lot of TOS era writers working on that season so its not surprising I spose but in retrospect yeah I think they hold up a bit better were as at the time they felt rather dated.

I would say the main issue season one has is that its putting so much effort into building the setting it doesn't really do justice to a few of the better ideas which would end up being revisited more effectively latter.

Famous Mortimer

This just popped up on my recommended videos section, and Youtube knows me very well.

It's the longest and strangest and funniest Star Trek re-edit I've ever seen, and provided you're suitably relaxed, I think you'll love this too.

Star Trek: Acid Party

Malcy

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 24, 2020, 01:56:39 AM
This just popped up on my recommended videos section, and Youtube knows me very well.

It's the longest and strangest and funniest Star Trek re-edit I've ever seen, and provided you're suitably relaxed, I think you'll love this too.

Star Trek: Acid Party

Popped up on mine recently to. Watched the first 10 mins and have saved it for later. Was quite impressed by it.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on November 24, 2020, 02:23:38 AM
Popped up on mine recently to.

One of the first comments on the video is "Face it. You didn't look for this, this looked for you." Spooky.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 24, 2020, 01:56:39 AM

It's awesome. I'll confess that my first thought was "hmm... drug humour" but it's not really played for laughs at all, is it? There are some chuckles to be found in recognising the clips and how they've been repurposed but this is mainly just a cool and pleasant thing to look at (if you love TNG. Which I do!). Ace. Thanks for posting it.

beanheadmcginty

Just watching All Good Things to cleanse my brain of another atrocious Discovery episode. At one point Riker says "maximum warp" and it reminded me of a question I've always had: why don't they travel maximum warp everywhere? What is point travelling lower warps? Are they just time-rich and enjoy the journey, like they're on a cruise?

crankshaft

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 27, 2020, 11:18:47 PM
Just watching All Good Things to cleanse my brain of another atrocious Discovery episode. At one point Riker says "maximum warp" and it reminded me of a question I've always had: why don't they travel maximum warp everywhere? What is point travelling lower warps? Are they just time-rich and enjoy the journey, like they're on a cruise?

I presume it exhausts fuel supplies and puts the engines under strain, so long periods of it aren't advisable - especially on such a large ship.

Blumf

In later episodes it's understood that heavy warp usage damaged the fabric of sub-space too.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Force_of_Nature_(episode)

oy vey

Quote from: Blumf on November 28, 2020, 01:08:29 AM
In later episodes it's understood that heavy warp usage damaged the fabric of sub-space too.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Force_of_Nature_(episode)

Which they ignored thereafter.

I too wondered why they didn't warp 9 everywhere.

"Captain, I'm detecting a damaged borg vessel 100 lightyears from our position."

"Set a course Ensign, warp... eh... hmm... warp 3. I'm curious but need lunch first."

purlieu

Quote from: oy vey on November 28, 2020, 08:38:49 AM
I'm pretty sure they only go over Warp 6 in absolute emergencies after that episode. It's ignored in DS9, mind.

And yeah, faster warps can only be sustained for a certain amount of time.

Zetetic

There's fucking acres of subspace, what's the problem.

greenman

Its mentioned in the Tinman episode the Romulans only manage to keep up with the Enterprise by fucking their warp engines.

petril

Quote from: oy vey on November 28, 2020, 08:38:49 AM

I too wondered why they didn't warp 9 everywhere.

"Captain, I'm detecting a damaged borg vessel 100 lightyears from our position."

"Set a course Ensign, warp... eh... hmm... warp 3. I'm curious but need lunch first."

Picard and Riker sat there having a Discourse about bypasses and avoiding the gluts of cargo traffic and which B-Routes are good and which are shite.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: purlieu on November 28, 2020, 01:39:09 PM
I'm pretty sure they only go over Warp 6 in absolute emergencies after that episode. It's ignored in DS9, mind.

Voyager's variable geometry warp nacelles were supposed to be the solution, but the writers weren't arsed actually putting that into dialogue. Then when they were designing new ships for First Contact, they didn't bother keeping it in mind.

oy vey

Quote from: purlieu on November 28, 2020, 01:39:09 PM

I must say I never noticed that "maximum" warp was such a big thing before that season 7 episode other than Scott breaking out in the occasional sweat in TOS/movies. I'm looking forward to the next "maximum warp" on my rewatches. The tension.

the hum

Quote from: greenman on November 28, 2020, 02:24:55 PM
Its mentioned in the Tinman episode the Romulans only manage to keep up with the Enterprise by fucking their warp engines.

Forgotten about that, and it went against the grain of the regular info drops in the early seasons of the Romulans being more technologically advanced.

Blumf

Quote from: petrilTanaka on November 28, 2020, 03:00:53 PM
Picard and Riker sat there having a Discourse about bypasses and avoiding the gluts of cargo traffic and which B-Routes are good and which are shite.

"Sorry guvnor, I don't go south of the Delphic Expanse after 10"

colacentral

I've been waiting years for cars to have a hail feature installed.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: the hum on November 28, 2020, 08:34:06 PM
Forgotten about that, and it went against the grain of the regular info drops in the early seasons of the Romulans being more technologically advanced.

I always had the impression that Romulan capabilities were a mystery and initially the Federation assumed a worst-case scenario. I do believe that the Warbird has more power than the Galaxy class ships, being a dedicated warship, but it lags behind in other areas. I certainly didn't see anything in later shows that made the Romulans look particularly impressive.

Wonderful Butternut

The Twelve Days of Star Trek: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDCdegF5KUP5qlgVHoCOayw_6gL_KPnQP

Posted here cos it's too good for the Discovery thread.

petril

Quote from: Camp Tramp on November 29, 2020, 01:01:20 PM
I always had the impression that Romulan capabilities were a mystery and initially the Federation assumed a worst-case scenario. I do believe that the Warbird has more power than the Galaxy class ships, being a dedicated warship, but it lags behind in other areas. I certainly didn't see anything in later shows that made the Romulans look particularly impressive.

aye, the only thing the Federation would've known is that Warbirds were fucking massive and dwarfed the biggest Federation ships

Blumf

Quote from: petrilTanaka on December 22, 2020, 03:49:05 PM
aye, the only thing the Federation would've known is that Warbirds were fucking massive and dwarfed the biggest Federation ships

I think the D'deridex class looked imposing, but the useable volume wasn't significantly more than a Galaxy class, mostly focused on that front section. Which fits in with the Romulan political style nicely.