Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:48:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

100 gecs

Started by Misspent Boners, March 02, 2020, 02:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Any fans out there? I've never heard anything like it. I'd say on first listen its so trashy and cheesy, but then as you delve further you start realising that in terms of production it's very innovative, "anything goes" mayhem. Pure uninhibited art with a kitchen sink mentality

I can imagine some people on here hating this kind of thing...I think.theyre wonderful. Brutal. Yes I am drunk and high.

I initially tried to post links into this to their songs but it kept posting my phone number for some reason...think my phones broken...search for Money Machine or 800db soundcloud. Or how about their new remix with charli xcx? Quality stuff

Sin Agog

In theory, on paper, broken down in a spider graph I'd fucking hate everything about them.  I never liked that emo-punk shite.  And autotune?  No.  Never mind theirs and A.G. Cook's insane Lynchification of the medium.  AND YET...they're fucking mint, aren't they?  I largely thank PC Music for that, as he's never done anything I don't like.  Found them trying to catch up with his latest stuff, and I'm glad I put my preconceptions aside to just enjoy it.  Stupid Horse became less of an earworm than an eartapeworm, genuinely causing me mental harm for several days such was its inveigling insidiousness.

Yes! Exactly. And that's why I love it so much. Because theres something shit about it but in the most profoundly beautiful way! And its genuinely new and innovative and I cant wait to hear what they'll bring out next. I'm glad someone replied cos I genuinely thought everyone would be like "what? Shut up"

Sin Agog

What?  Shut up.

I did a site search on them a month ago when I first heard them and nothing came up so I'm glad they've now got their own official thread, no matter how many replies it gets.  I'll post those links your phone bailed on.  Here's a playlist for their album 1000 gecs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9F2Wnx_segXw6qJMquQ0j9znWO8gPT-K

(Remember it's PC Music and everything's done under the veil of aggressive irony if 2000s rnb and emo parodies sounds like something you'd never listen to. There are loads of screeching industrial touches for all the noise fans out there).

Hat FM

really enjoying the album which i heard about from john caramonica on the ny times popcast.

never really sure how to describe them. the beats remind me of crystal castles at times then at other times its a bit like happy hardcore, which sounds very dated when you describe it to someone.

their gigs are mental too apparently. love to see them sometime.

Cuellar

Don't know what to make of this.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea really liking them - post taste supergarbage with real hooks and compelling weird aesthetics

feels like brokenside were just ahead of their time, -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8N44HzfBQ

poloniusmonk

I adore them. In a weird way I get a kind of Ween vibe from them, in a 'mock everything while also sincere about everything' way. Absolutely my favourite album of last year.

sevendaughters

only heard Money Machine which was enough to ensure a lifetime of never-going-in-my-ears-on-purpose thanks. there's only so much life left to pretend to like this kind of provocation.

poloniusmonk

I have never understood anyone's need to suggest that someone else 'pretends to like' something. You don't like it? Sure, of course. Therefore anyone else is pretending? No, that is wrong. And idiotic.

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 04, 2020, 03:04:27 PM
only heard Money Machine which was enough to ensure a lifetime of never-going-in-my-ears-on-purpose thanks. there's only so much life left to pretend to like this kind of provocation.

You talk a lot of big game for someone with such a small truck

sevendaughters

Quote from: poloniusmonk on March 04, 2020, 08:25:26 PM
I have never understood anyone's need to suggest that someone else 'pretends to like' something. You don't like it? Sure, of course. Therefore anyone else is pretending? No, that is wrong. And idiotic.

Disagree, think it's a historical fact that people get swept up in zeitgeisty fads only to come around with a crippling taste hangover when they realise how empty the thing they invested their emotions in was.

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 05, 2020, 03:47:47 AM
Disagree, think it's a historical fact that people get swept up in zeitgeisty fads only to come around with a crippling taste hangover when they realise how empty the thing they invested their emotions in was.

Haha that's brilliant, because you're essentially saying to every poster who's voiced appreciation for this band in this thread "you dont really like this band, you just think you do to seem cool"...that's almost weirdly admirable in its obnoxiousness 😄 as daft as it obviously is

Sin Agog worded my own feelings on them perfectly, even now it's so.at odds with what I would listen to and has so many components that I would usually detest, so it's not like people dont recognize that it shouldn't be something they enjoy but do. A lot of comments on youtube etc describe along the lines as "good terrible music", the trashiness and queasiness are part of the appeal. As for me I have heaps of time for the production, find the extremity and playfulness weirdly cathartic to listen to, and find the songs well crafted and fucking catchy, that's why I like them.

Actually no.ive changed my mind, you're right and we're all wrong. Wake up sheeple!

phantom_power

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 05, 2020, 03:47:47 AM

Even if that were true, and you can't say for sure in an individual case, that's not pretending

sevendaughters

Quote from: Misspent Boners on March 05, 2020, 05:57:09 AM
Haha that's brilliant, because you're essentially saying to every poster who's voiced appreciation for this band in this thread "you dont really like this band, you just think you do to seem cool"...that's almost weirdly admirable in its obnoxiousness 😄 as daft as it obviously is

Nope, I said I'm not going to pretend to like them (they suck) and that people do get swept away in fads - particularly if the stuff is, essentially, flirting with ideas of the tasteful1. If you sincerely like them I am not going to enter into some kind of "prove it" war. Cool isn't about consumption anyway. This is what Nathan Barley was, at its heart.

1 unless you believe people really sincerely loved Mr Blobby, Fat Les, Hoggboy, Black Lace etc.

poloniusmonk

But no one is ever asking you to pretend to like something. Your suggesting that's the case seems more like you have pretended to like stuff in the past that you have subsequently decided you don't. Fair enough. But that's not a universal.

If you can't see what anyone else finds thrilling about them, that's fine. I don't think anyone on this forum feels the need to pretend to like anything when they don't.

Personally I think they are ace, and I don't really even buy into the 'good bad music' thing. They are taking all the bits of stuff they like and jamming it together and pushing that to extremes and being quite silly with it. That's fun, and genuinely enjoyable. IMHO.

sevendaughters

If you think everyone who has encountered this band sincerely likes them and sees it as satire then you're wrong.

poloniusmonk

I don't see it as satire, so sure.

sevendaughters

I'll check in with you all in 3 years.

Cardenio I

I fucking hate this, but I feel like a period of moderately prolonged exposure would probably be enough for me to quite enjoy it.

I will not be allowing this period of exposure.

Quote from: poloniusmonk on March 05, 2020, 10:02:24 AM
I don't see it as satire, so sure.

Cool isnt about consumption, man 🤮

PlanktonSideburns

im not enjoying this in as complicated way as you think - i like stuff thats dense and taste/genre mangling, and behind that i think the songs are good also. ive liked stuff like this for over 3 years also, so im fair sure im not going through a phase

thanks

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 05, 2020, 09:42:15 AM
Nope, I said I'm not going to pretend to like them (they suck) and that people do get swept away in fads - particularly if the stuff is, essentially, flirting with ideas of the tasteful1. If you sincerely like them I am not going to enter into some kind of "prove it" war. Cool isn't about consumption anyway. This is what Nathan Barley was, at its heart.

1 unless you believe people really sincerely loved Mr Blobby, Fat Les, Hoggboy, Black Lace etc.

Mate, you've posted this and shortly afterwards posted "I'll ask you again in 3 years", once more indicating that you think everyone who's voiced any appreciation for the band in this thread is following some kind of fad/hype about a band that are objectively shit. If you think.its the worst music in the world that's totally fair enough but your stance is a bit of an insult to the posters including myself who have made informed posts about why they like it, even in spite of what they usually like. I dont want to argue but I think that's a pretty arrogant/dickish thing to do.

Also you've really done it now by bringing mr Blobby into this; that song was integral in opening up the Blobbiverse by introducing the fandom Mrs Blobby and Baby Blobby. How dare you!

Edit: autocorrect turned "dickish" to "ticklish"... maybe I should have left that in 🤔

Quote from: Cardenio I on March 05, 2020, 11:01:42 AM
I fucking hate this, but I feel like a period of moderately prolonged exposure would probably be enough for me to quite enjoy it.

I will not be allowing this period of exposure.

Haha that's the spirit