Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:50:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RuPaul's Drag Race season 12

Started by Blue Jam, March 02, 2020, 03:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

After what feels like only five minutes since Drag Race UK finished, the original is back:

Having watched the show's scabby British cousin may spoil my enjoyment a tad, but whatevs, bring on the humourless but polished queens...

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
The Vivienne as Trump
[close]
, yaaaaaay!

Heidi n'Closet's trilling has gotten old already. I also agree with the judges that that's possibly the worst drag name ever.

Hope all these fashion queens eager to prove how very serious they are about fashion don't hang about for too long. Only six queens revealed so far, so I hope we get a few comedy queens later.

Early favourites: Jackie Cox- seems to have a sense of humour and is about more than looking pretty at least. Is she Persian though? She should have said.

Also: Crystal Methyd. Not a fan of the name but she some of the most interesting looks.

olliebean

Anyone know where I can get the Untucked episodes? The first one doesn't seem to have turned up in "the usual places" for US telly, and apparently Netflix isn't putting them up until the end of the season, which kind of defeats the object.

buttgammon

Also liking Jackie so far, but I can see she's going to milk those sixties looks for all they're worth. She was the only real standout for me, but it still looks like the standard is going to be higher than the last few series based on that sample.

Quote from: olliebean on March 02, 2020, 09:56:11 PM
Anyone know where I can get the Untucked episodes? The first one doesn't seem to have turned up in "the usual places" for US telly, and apparently Netflix isn't putting them up until the end of the season, which kind of defeats the object.

If you have a VPN you can watch it live on the VH1 website (just give a different fake email every week). They play Untucked straight after the main show. You didn't miss anything this week, just a mild conversation between Heidi and Nicki Minaj about her critique.

Allegations have arisen about Sherry Pie. He's accused of pretending to be a casting agent and getting younger men to send him sexually explicit videos (full details in this reddit thread). This is picking up steam on social media from prominent Queens, could Sherry Pie's career be over before it even began?
Spoiler alert
Also, she's rumored to be top 4! I'd say there's a lot of nervous producers in WOW at the moment.
[close]

Blue Jam

^^^ all I can say is that knowing the above and watching Sherry Pie in episode 2 is very weird right now.

alan nagsworth

So how we feelin bout this then

Seems a lot of folks are calling or her to be edited out, but since main sources are saying she "won't be appearing in the finale" I'd henge a bet on her having gotten very far in the contest which would make said editing extremely hard, especially with this show.

Hearing a fair amount of "cancelling the season wouldn't be fair on the other queens who worked so hard throughout", totally discounting the feelings of the victims who endured a load of horrible degradation and sexual manipulation.

This is an ugly situation but honestly I feel like they should probably can the whole thing. Even if you edit Sherry Pie out she will always be there to some extent, and whichever way you look at it, that's giving a known abuser a public platform.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 11, 2020, 07:35:58 PM
So how we feelin bout this then

Seems a lot of folks are calling or her to be edited out, but since main sources are saying she "won't be appearing in the finale" I'd henge a bet on her having gotten very far in the contest which would make said editing extremely hard, especially with this show.

Hearing a fair amount of "cancelling the season wouldn't be fair on the other queens who worked so hard throughout", totally discounting the feelings of the victims who endured a load of horrible degradation and sexual manipulation.

This is an ugly situation but honestly I feel like they should probably can the whole thing. Even if you edit Sherry Pie out she will always be there to some extent, and whichever way you look at it, that's giving a known abuser a public platform.

Yes, it's made for very uncomfortable viewing. I didn't finish episode 2 last night because I wasn't in the mood for it, and I think it's partly because of Sherry Pie doing this whole comedy camp drag thing and going on about Hollywood-inspired drag when we know what else she did which was inspired by Hollywood. I couldn't enjoy her drag at all and I think I may struggle to get through this season tbh.

alan nagsworth

Yeah I mean, these days I find it increasingly difficult to even sit through music by Bowie or Iggy without grimacing a bit and feeling like it's something we should be moving away from, but this is happening right now, and as you've said, it seems like her aesthetic is quite intrinsically linked to the unpleasant stuff she's done. I am very interested to see what becomes of all this.

They should edit her down as much as they can (get rid of confessionals, wacky workroom moments) but with the time constraints that might be impossible. They are already editing her out of all WOW youtube videos (Fashion Photo Ruview, the Pit Stop, etc.). As bad as it is, it would've been even worse if she won and THEN this all came out.

But even putting all of this aside, he was fucking annoying in that "theatre kid" way (Jan too actually, don't shoot me) and her fashion choices were terrible barring the entrance look.

alan nagsworth

So are other people here boycotting this? I didn't even watch episode 2, fuck it I don't care. Love this show to pieces but I can't abide giving abusers a celebratory platform in this day and age. 2020's a write off already so this may as well get in the bin with it.

In fairness they are editing her out as much as possible - no confessionals, only speaking when interacting with another queen (I did laugh this week when SP's disembodied voice started an emotional conversation about their mothers). I really forget she's even there until the runway. Honestly if it was that pile of shite season 11 cast I might use this as an excuse to stop watching but this season has real potential.

olliebean

It's becoming a fun game to spot where she's stood/sat at the edge and been cropped out of the shot.

buttgammon

Is it me or have they ramped up the editing in the last editing or two? She seemed almost absent in the most recent episode (thankfully).

Also, Aiden Zhane really irritates me to almost Eureka levels. Moody, whiny, lazy and always doing the same thing with her eye make-up.

momatt

Spoiler alert
Rock M. Sakura
[close]
was robbed!

One of the best people in there and got chucked in in favour of some really crap queens like Aiden Zhane.

I'm bored with this now it seems nailed on for Gigi. Although if the lockdown lasts another month they'll have to film the finale through Facetime, which would still be an improvement on season 11.

buttgammon

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on April 11, 2020, 05:03:23 PM
Jan should've won the Madonna challenge

Agreed - she clearly thinks so too judging by the look on her face when Gigi won it!

Blinder Data

Interesting that this thread never took off like previous seasons. Was it Sherry Pie? Lockdown?

Anyway, now that it's over I'm very glad that
Spoiler alert
Jaida won. She's not the most interesting but overall she was the most consistent and absolutely knocked it out the park in the last lipsync. Gigi was brilliant in the first two challenges but her performance in the final one was clever but not fabulous. And I'm thankful that a skinny white fashion queen didn't win it again.
[close]

The Zoom finale was better than I expected after a rather disappointing reunion. I didn't like the way they didn't mention Sherry Pie at all. I feel like even a short monologue from Ru about the topic at the beginning would've made a difference - the only mention was an oblique joke by one of the queens! Sweeping it under the carpet shows you how commercially minded the whole thing is.

Heidi was easily my favourite. I walk round saying "blessed and highly favoured" and "hepiphany" all the time now.

momatt

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 09, 2020, 05:57:53 PM
Anyway, now that it's over I'm very glad that
Spoiler alert
Jaida won. She's not the most interesting but overall she was the most consistent and absolutely knocked it out the park in the last lipsync. Gigi was brilliant in the first two challenges but her performance in the final one was clever but not fabulous. And I'm thankful that a skinny white fashion queen didn't win it again.
[close]

I really enjoyed this season, just kept on forgetting to post here.
i was disappointed with the winner, I thought GiGi or Cristal deserved it more.  They both put way more effort into their final tasks.
Cristal's Like a Bird video was amazing!

Also, what the fuck is up with Ru wearing the wrestling masks?  Is there a medical problem, or can he not do his own make-up any more?
Or just lazy?

I liked Heidi too.  Maybe not the most talented, but really naturally funny.

I was wondering why they didn't mention Sheery at all.  Legal reasons?

Blinder Data

Quote from: momatt on June 10, 2020, 03:46:10 PM

Interesting, a friend really liked it. I thought it was funny and v Crystal but I was expecting it to expand into something bigger. It just seemed to fizzle out. Some handmade puppets does not compare with Jaiden dancing her ass off imo.

QuoteAlso, what the fuck is up with Ru wearing the wrestling masks?  Is there a medical problem, or can he not do his own make-up any more?
Or just lazy?

I think basically she has a whole crew who does everything for her. You'd think she'd have a go at her own make-up. Yeah, it's poor.

QuoteI was wondering why they didn't mention Sheery at all.  Legal reasons?

You're right, it could be legal reasons. Even so I think they definitely could have included a verbal statement from someone about it - not necessarily Sherry Pie or the allegations, but about abuse in general and standing up to it. Opportunity missed.

buttgammon

Quote from: momatt on June 10, 2020, 03:46:10 PM
I really enjoyed this season, just kept on forgetting to post here.
i was disappointed with the winner, I thought GiGi or Cristal deserved it more.  They both put way more effort into their final tasks.

Also, what the fuck is up with Ru wearing the wrestling masks?  Is there a medical problem, or can he not do his own make-up any more?
Or just lazy?

I liked Heidi too.  Maybe not the most talented, but really naturally funny.

I was wondering why they didn't mention Sheery at all.  Legal reasons?

I heard it was a facelift that went tits up and left bruising. They were covering Ru's face in the exact same places on the reunion and the final, so it makes sense.

momatt

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 10, 2020, 03:58:23 PM
Interesting, a friend really liked it. I thought it was funny and v Crystal but I was expecting it to expand into something bigger. It just seemed to fizzle out. Some handmade puppets does not compare with Jaiden dancing her ass off imo.
Interesting, I thought the opposite!  True, Jaiden was a better dancer, but the other aspects of her video seemed half-assed in comparison.  No effort at all put into the 'stage'.  I think I personally prefer homemade art/craft and not too fussed about dancing.
Jaiden and Crystal would be the extremes of that, with Gigi in the middle.

I think Ru enjoys his totalitarian approach to judgement and choosing whoever the hell he wants!

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 10, 2020, 03:58:23 PM
You're right, it could be legal reasons. Even so I think they definitely could have included a verbal statement from someone about it - not necessarily Sherry Pie or the allegations, but about abuse in general and standing up to it. Opportunity missed.
That's a very good point.  A nice general statement against all such behaviour would have been very strong.

Quote from: buttgammon on June 10, 2020, 04:30:16 PM
I heard it was a facelift that went tits up and left bruising. They were covering Ru's face in the exact same places on the reunion and the final, so it makes sense.
Oooh, now that's juicy.  *sips tea with an arched eyebrow*
I'm looking forward to seeing Ru with a constantly surprised expression next season.