Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:40:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Genesis tour 2020?

Started by TheMonk, March 03, 2020, 01:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

There are some serious rumours doing the rounds that Genesis (sans Gabriel, Hackett) are about to announce a tour for year's end.
Can't help but think this might be a step too far for the "recently clearly struggling if still in tune and putting on a decent enough show from a swivel chair" Mr Collins.

Head Gardener

I saw Genesish twice in odd incarnations - in '79 when Gabriel and Hackett both played separately at the Reading festival and when Gabriel
played he welcomed Collins onstage for 2 tunes, The Lamb' and Mother of Violence (I think) I remember thinking at the time it was a missed
opportunity to get 3 of them onstage when Hackett was probably in his tent somewhere, but I guess he flounced. Despite being at the top
of the Sunday night bill he came on in the early evening and the Ramones (who were the main reason I went that year) pulled out on the day!

Second time was when they reformed at the MK Bowl in 1982 and the full classic line up played a blinder (Talk Talk were the support and I recall
drunkenly heckling them, to my shame) Jonathan King introduced them onstage too which was as toe curling as that sounds now as it was then.

Wilbur

I was at that MK concert. Pissing with rain and everything running late, poor TalkTalk were unfairly slaughtered. I recall people passing beer barrels to the front of the audience to launch at them. I think they managed two tracks before leaving for their own safety..

Head Gardener

yes it was a rubbish weather day as a lot of those Bowl gigs turned out to be, The Police Rockatta de Bowl in 81 was the worst, it just rained all day,
Talk Talk back then were not held in the same esteem as they are now

Brundle-Fly

It's funny how 'pop group' Talk Talk got booed at that Genesis gig and  Mark Hollis going on to become this respected figure for serious musos and proggers. See Nick Beggs of Kajagoogoo too, (and Cardiacs to a certain extent as they got booed when they supported Marillion.)

Do audiences at gigs still boo support bands because they're wearing the wrong cut of trouser or have the wrong hairstyle?

Swoz_MK

16 dates apparently, UK arenas.  Never seen them so really excited for this.

Head Gardener

I booed Marillion when they played The Starting Gate in Milton Keynes, not only did I boo I also heckled with "Suppers Ready" from the back of the pub, which went down quite well considering

TheMonk

Quote from: Swoz_MK on March 03, 2020, 10:18:29 AM
16 dates apparently, UK arenas.  Never seen them so really excited for this.
I'm for it in theory but considering some of the key lowering and note dodging Phil had to do on his recent tour I just don't know how he could even contemplate some of their more challenging material.
Still, I also didn't think he was going to make it far into that last tour and his voice did seem to improve a bit as it went on. I suppose maybe he's on the improve. His pipes are certainly in better shape than, say, Paul  Young's, fucked back or not.

Shit Good Nose

As some of you know Genesis is my favourite band, and I'm (probably) CaB's biggest Phil Collins defender.

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt at the moment as these "rumours" have been bubbling around for the last few years, purely off the back of Phil saying "I'm up for it" and Mike Rutherford saying "we may as well whilst we're all still alive reasonably fit and healthy".  However, I am aware that the three of them have been spotted together recently, along with some long-time crew, which makes you wonder what else could they be talking about?

Even if it does happen, for me it all depends on what happens with the drums.  Obviously there's no way Phil is capable of even being the worst drummer in the Beatles now (although, despite his age, alcoholism and other health issues, he's in reasonably fine voice as TheMonk said [no chance that he'll be able to do anything like Mama now though]), so it falls to his son Nicholas.  Now, he's an absolutely capable drummer, don't get me wrong, but with Chester Thompson having pretty much retired from major live performance and going by everything Phil has said about the situation up to now, it sounds like Nicholas will be the ONLY drummer.  Double drums have been such a major part of the Genesis sound for over 40 years that going back to one drummer is REALLY going to change the whole dynamic (as it did with the Ray Wilson era).

Also factoring in the fact that Phil has said more than once that any reunion is likely to be a "greatest hits only" affair (presumably because he no longer has the vocal range or power for those bigger and more complex songs), it's all getting less and less tempting for me.

On the other hand, it will almost certainly be the last time they'll ever play live again, so what to do...

PaulTMA

Zoe Ball has a "special band announcement" on her show tomorrow and I don't think it's a Warm Jets reunion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000fw97

Swoz_MK

Just had it confirmed it is absolutely happening.

PaulTMA

I've been following an enormo-thread on the Steve Hoffman forum where it seems all the rumour info appeared to stem from a few weeks ago.  For a while there were whisperings that the show would possibly be of an acoustic/stripped-back nature, resulting in the posting of proposed setlists, comically featuring the likes of Dusk, More Fool Me and Harlequin.  One person even suggested they throw in a few Anthony Phillips solo numbers. 

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 03, 2020, 10:15:50 AM
Do audiences at gigs still boo support bands because they're wearing the wrong cut of trouser or have the wrong hairstyle?

The entitlement and rudeness of that. Everyone turns into an American at a concert.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 03, 2020, 02:01:44 PM
I've been following an enormo-thread on the Steve Hoffman forum where it seems all the rumour info appeared to stem from a few weeks ago.  For a while there were whisperings that the show would possibly be of an acoustic/stripped-back nature, resulting in the posting of proposed setlists, comically featuring the likes of Dusk, More Fool Me and Harlequin.  One person even suggested they throw in a few Anthony Phillips solo numbers. 

I think Phil could manage Silver Song.

I've also been following that thread and wonder where all the hatred for Alan Hewitt stems from - admittedly I've not seen him for over 15 years (we had a mutual friend who died), but I don't recall anyone in those circles at the time saying he was a cunt or anything.  There was a rumour that him and Ant Phillips were slapping skins and had been for some time, but I certainly never heard anything negative about him.  Unless it's all stuff that's happened since...?

Head Gardener

Quote from: Swoz_MK on March 03, 2020, 01:55:35 PM
Just had it confirmed it is absolutely happening.

where is this info online? I couldn't find it anywhere, ta

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 03, 2020, 05:37:45 PM
where is this info online? I couldn't find it anywhere, ta

Started on the Steve Hoffman forum a couple of weeks ago by someone who may or may not be Alan Hewitt (not the keyboardist, but a long-time Genesis devotee and insider who runs The Waiting Room fanzine and was involved with the long-dead official website).  The Movement website (the database of Genesis and related live recordings) dropped it on their Facebook page as well, plus the three of them were spotted talking to some of their road team recently.

At the moment it's all just hanging threads from rumour, but it's all adding up.  I was unsure at first, but I reckon it is actually legit.

Head Gardener

Shit Good Nose

Sounds like it's going to be an acoustic show, so I think I'm out.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 03, 2020, 07:38:30 PM
Sounds like it's going to be an acoustic show, so I think I'm out.

Outside of the Hoffman thread, has anyone suggested it's likely to be?  Don't even think it was that OP who brought that idea up.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 03, 2020, 08:31:50 PM
Outside of the Hoffman thread, has anyone suggested it's likely to be?  Don't even think it was that OP who brought that idea up.

I did see it mentioned as a possibility/probability elsewhere earlier, but fucked if I can find it now.

TheMonk

Having a look at YouTube videos and playing devil's advocate now...
Nicolas Collins drumming was the glue in Phil's recent live dates. Chester Thompson often played softer than Phil ever did at his peak and on later tours the live versions could drag a bit in comparison when they needed to kick hard (eg Mama, No Son Of Mine...) I'll put at least some of that blame at Chester's feet when you listen to Live Over Europe now.
Nic Collins is now pretty match fit and confident so a bit of muscle and youthful energy to some of those Genesis tracks (Domino, Land of Confusion, maybe Abacab) might actually lift them instrumentally at least from the sluggish 2007 tour. You can hear the through line from Phil when he plays. That could be exciting if he works hard at getting the songs right and I think he would.
If Phil's vocals and stage presence lack I reckon Nic Collins could be the ace card and have them sounding reinvigorated.

Trying to be positive.
Hopefully they don't go the acoustic route though, that'd be rubbish.

Wilbur

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 03, 2020, 10:15:50 AM
It's funny how 'pop group' Talk Talk got booed at that Genesis gig and  Mark Hollis going on to become this respected figure for serious musos and proggers. See Nick Beggs of Kajagoogoo too, (and Cardiacs to a certain extent as they got booed when they supported Marillion.)

I think the MK gig was a combination of things. It was an important concert for Genesis fans as Peter Gabriel was going to be there and this was in the days when Genesis was not a Phil Collins vehicle and pre the poppy Genesis stuff so the fans were probably a very different set of people to  today  and Talk Talk were a new and, relatively unknown, pop chart group with some rather unimaginatively titled tracks (Talk Talk for one).

Couple that with it being an utterly miserable day , and (I don't know what the bowl is like in the rain these days but back then it was fucking grim) the audience kept being screwed around by the organisers with the timings and by that stage in the evening they just wanted to see the main group and anybody would have bombed.

No excuse for it though Talk Talk didn't deserve it and I recall the sound quality actually being spot on.

Shit Good Nose

Listened to the (very superficial) announcement/interview with Zoe Ball.

Not much more info than we already know - even they don't know what they're going to be doing yet (although they HAVE been rehearsing).  No mention of it being acoustic.

Presale tomorrow, starting at £70.

I don't know what to do...

popcorn

My God is Phil Collins capable of this? I saw him perform on Graham Norton and it was the most tragic thing I'd seen in ages. Listened to him talking on a drumming podcast too and he sounded like the saddest, most knackered millionaire in the world.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: popcorn on March 04, 2020, 11:39:38 AM
My God is Phil Collins capable of this? I saw him perform on Graham Norton and it was the most tragic thing I'd seen in ages. Listened to him talking on a drumming podcast too and he sounded like the saddest, most knackered millionaire in the world.

It goes without saying that he absolutely won't be drumming, but he did say in the interview this morning something along the lines of he'll bang a few things.  Which I would suggest probably isn't advisable.

Yeah, I'm in two minds.  His voice DID get demonstrably better over the course of his solo tour (just compare vids from early on and towards the end of the tour) and his heart is very definitely still in it, which is half the battle for the audience sometimes once a performer gets to a certain age.  But he is a frail old man now and I honestly would not be in the least bit surprised if this tour ends up getting cancelled at some point cos he's just not capable.

Having said that, it would appear that a ticket has been bought for me (before I'd even decided either way...) via the O2 priority pre-presale.  So that will be nice and cheap...

imitationleather

I would have liked to have gone in 2007 but now I don't think I would be comfortable watching Collins performing. I'd be worried about him dying mid-set.

Neville Chamberlain

Was curious about Nick Collins, son of Phil, so did a bit of googling, expecting him to be in his late 30s or even early 40s - turns out he's 12!!! :-O

popcorn