Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Genesis tour 2020?

Started by TheMonk, March 03, 2020, 01:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

PaulTMA

He did not sound good on the Zoe Ball show this morning.

Wondered about the possibility of him dying while on tour last time around.  Bruce and Rick will definitely get it in the neck if that happens this year

Butchers Blind

Poor Phil doesn't look like he's got it in him, I doubt he'd make it to the end of Supper's Ready [nb]I am aware they will not play this on the tour[/nb] let alone a whole tour.

Captain Z

Could they get the Cadbury gorilla to replace him on drums instead?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 04, 2020, 01:38:38 PM
Poor Phil doesn't look like he's got it in him, I doubt he'd make it to the end of Supper's Ready [nb]I am aware they will not play this on the tour[/nb] let alone a whole tour.

They could do the same shortened (acoustic) version they did on the Calling All Stations tour.

Quote from: Captain Z on March 04, 2020, 02:11:34 PM

Have you not been paying attention?!?!?!??!?!  They've got his 9 year old son on toy drums!!!  Phil's, not the gorilla's.

Adrian Brezhnev

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on March 04, 2020, 01:04:36 PM
Was curious about Nick Collins, son of Phil, so did a bit of googling, expecting him to be in his late 30s or even early 40s - turns out he's 12!!! :-O

No, that's his elder half brother Simon... who recorded a pretty decent cover of Keep it Dark a few years ago

Maybe Simon could do lead vocals and really keep it in the family.

olliebean

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 04, 2020, 12:08:28 PM
It goes without saying that he absolutely won't be drumming, but he did say in the interview this morning something along the lines of he'll bang a few things.  Which I would suggest probably isn't advisable.

They'll probably give him a tambourine, but I doubt he'll be bashing himself with it as hard as he used it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: olliebean on March 04, 2020, 04:09:05 PM
They'll probably give him a tambourine

Steady on.  Triangle might be more appropriate.

Quote from: Captain Z on March 04, 2020, 02:11:34 PM

Gorill Collins?

Head Gardener

Swoz_MK

Tried for the Sunday at O2. £145 to have my view obscured by the back of the stage. Haha. Oh well.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 04, 2020, 01:38:38 PM
doubt he'd make it through For Absent Friends tbh

BlodwynPig

The tour is back on. I'm not sure about getting a ticket as if there is another wave I don't want to fret about losing money.

Twonty Gostelow

The streets weren't deserted (and the police were alerted) - they considered the virus a hoax.

I wish that logo would go away. It's not quite as repulsive as this though

Fr.Bigley

Confirmed Phil Collins' New Genesis tour:

Angry Letters to the Council

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 24, 2020, 10:48:50 AM
I wish that logo would go away.

I'm a fan - I think it's my favourite iteration of the band's name.

TheMonk

Update: Delayed again till end of year.
The light show looks great but the lack of vocals on this video and the two backing singers skulking at the back show the ravages of time. Also Nic Collins sounds competent enough I suppose but looks like the days of two duelling drumkits are well over. That was always such a crucial part of the shows.
Still, nice lights.
https://youtu.be/5CPqRQI7Vjo

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: TheMonk on January 24, 2021, 12:12:15 AM
Update: Delayed again till end of year.
The light show looks great but the lack of vocals on this video and the two backing singers skulking at the back show the ravages of time. Also Nic Collins sounds competent enough I suppose but looks like the days of two duelling drumkits are well over. That was always such a crucial part of the shows.
Still, nice lights.
https://youtu.be/5CPqRQI7Vjo

Makes me wonder if that Behind the Lines overture will be as animated as it gets. You'd normally expect Los Endos but, as you implied, without Chester Thompson...?

Shit Good Nose

Chester Thompson has pretty much retired from major performance/touring since about 2017 and now spends his time as a drum teacher.  He was still performing with his small jazz group (pre-covid), but only locally.  That being the case it was always unlikely he was going to be part of this tour but, aside from those facts, there are rumours that PC wasn't particularly happy with CT's playing during the Going Back tour and the two had a falling out.

I agree that the absence of a second drummer is a huge loss - it's my main concern over Phil's voice not being up to the task - as it's been such a signature sound since 1976 (except for the Calling All Stations tour of course).  Chester has said numerous times he's not part of this tour, but I've been hoping since it was first announced that a second drummer would be added (Simon Phillips maybe [my own choice]?), but given we are already way past the concert dates as originally scheduled and the vid linked above clearly shows a finished stage design and set-up, it ain't gonna happen.

As I've said, my expectations are low, I'm prepared to be disappointed, and I'm even prepared for Phil to cark it before the tour ever starts.  But this is almost certainly the last time these guys will ever be on stage, so I'm not gonna miss it for one second.

TheMonk

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 24, 2021, 01:14:39 AM
As I've said, my expectations are low, I'm prepared to be disappointed, and I'm even prepared for Phil to cark it before the tour ever starts.  But this is almost certainly the last time these guys will ever be on stage, so I'm not gonna miss it for one second.
This is true. We've lost so many great artists over recent years.
We lose sight of these things.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 24, 2021, 01:14:39 AM
Chester has said numerous times he's not part of this tour, but I've been hoping since it was first announced that a second drummer would be added (Simon Phillips maybe [my own choice]?), but given we are already way past the concert dates as originally scheduled and the vid linked above clearly shows a finished stage design and set-up, it ain't gonna happen.

Do you think if Bruford hadn't so heroically kept his promise to retire from performing 12 years ago they would have asked him again?

Nah, probably not.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on January 24, 2021, 01:39:59 AM
Do you think if Bruford hadn't so heroically kept his promise to retire from performing 12 years ago they would have asked him again?

Nah, probably not.

Much as I would absolutely love it, no - honestly more chance of Gabriel AND Hackett turning up.  He famously wasn't keen on the music and Mike Rutherford said he was an absolute nightmare to play over because he never played a song the same way twice (you can hear it on live recordings from the 76 tour - sometimes he'd play on the beat, sometimes off it, sometimes he'd add a fill for an extra bar where you wouldn't expect it, sometimes he'd leave empty space where you'd expect something, whilst poor old Mike is trying to keep up whilst playing 12 string guitar, bass pedals AND singing all at the same time [one of the reasons I think Rutherford is one of the most underrated musicians in the history of prog]).

One can dream though, eh?

Incidentally, I'm seeing Hackett a few days before, so that will be an interesting long weekend.

Twonty Gostelow

Yep. I knew Bruford wasn't totally simpatico with the band on that tour, but it must have been tough for him too.

You've probably seen this recent-ish video of Bruford talking about auctioning off his equipment. He looks in great nick for 71, and two years older than Phil. Genes or wives?  😉
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha0OimHJv70

Shit Good Nose

Aye, I even bid on several items from his 70s kits.  Alas EVERYTHING, even the piddly little finger cymbals, went for shitloads more than I could afford (most of them went above my maximum bids within a few hours of the respective auctions starting).  I particularly had my eye on two metal sheets he used as percussion "implements" on the 74 King Crimson and 76 Genesis tours as they had such a particular sound I'll always associate with both bands at those times, but they went for ridiculous money.  Ho-hum.

On the wife front, old Bill's been married to the same woman (quite happily by all accounts) since 1973, so yeah, you could well be right (cue 20 minute drum duet).

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 24, 2021, 02:39:21 AM
Aye, I even bid on several items from his 70s kits.  Alas EVERYTHING, even the piddly little finger cymbals, went for shitloads more than I could afford (most of them went above my maximum bids within a few hours of the respective auctions starting).  I particularly had my eye on two metal sheets he used as percussion "implements" on the 74 King Crimson and 76 Genesis tours as they had such a particular sound I'll always associate with both bands at those times, but they went for ridiculous money.  Ho-hum.

Hell's bells/adiós a la pasada. Still, I'm glad it paid off for him. The residuals from Five per Cent for Nothing can't be much now.

TheMonk

Bump.
This tour is due to kick off in a few weeks. Anyone going?
Phil looks, er, raring to go,
https://twitter.com/artyshowboy/status/1426922525678882816?s=21

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: TheMonk on August 19, 2021, 03:29:32 PM
Bump.
This tour is due to kick off in a few weeks. Anyone going?
Phil looks, er, raring to go,
https://twitter.com/artyshowboy/status/1426922525678882816?s=21

I'm going.  Assuming Phil lives that long.

SweetPomPom

I'm in with a very jammy O2 front row. Hackett at the Palladium too in a few weeks.

Phil has his beard back, good omens.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: SweetPomPom on August 19, 2021, 07:09:18 PM
I'm in with a very jammy O2 front row. Hackett at the Palladium too in a few weeks.

Phil has his beard back, good omens.

I'll be seeing Hackett in Cardiff a few days before.  Nad Sylvan aside, I genuinely think it'll be the better gig.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 19, 2021, 07:21:01 PM
I'll be seeing Hackett in Cardiff a few days before.  Nad Sylvan aside, I genuinely think it'll be the better gig.

50:50 at the mo, at least the combination will cover everything. I could do without Sylvan and the Genesis show could go either way but I only saw a short set back in 2007 so will take whatever the last chance saloon offers.

I'll be happy with Domino, some self-titled and earlier Phil era but they're not really going to play any Pete, are they?