Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:07:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Genesis tour 2020?

Started by TheMonk, March 03, 2020, 01:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: SweetPomPom on August 19, 2021, 07:37:46 PM
I'll be happy with Domino, some self-titled and earlier Phil era but they're not really going to play any Pete, are they?

They've already confirmed that they will be, although they haven't said exactly what - given Phil's voice now it's more likely to be Carpet Crawlers than Supper's Ready.  The lack of double drums is still going to be the biggest hole in the show.

SweetPomPom

I'm ready for the drums, curious about what they going to do to beef them up - wouldn't be the end of the world if they had a bit of extra backline or sequenced stuff.
I'm probably more worried about how much they need to lower the key to accomodate the vocals. Going in full of good will though.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Just googled Nad Sylvan. You poor sods.

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on August 20, 2021, 12:28:33 PM

What I've seen of him from Hackett live videos on YouTube, it seems like he does a pretty good Gabriel impression - not really my thing as I always thought Phil's vocals were superior, but it all sounds pretty authentic.

Apropos of nothing, the best sounding Genesis tribute band I've heard is The Farm - they played two gigs as students and then broke up, but their lead singer really sounds exactly like Phil circa 1976.  Worth a listen if you like that kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/vpdigital/videos (maybe start on Old Medley / Los Endos)

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on August 20, 2021, 12:28:33 PM

I mean he's fine, but he's VERY theatrical (enormous inflated ego as well, not to be confused with confidence or charisma).  Gabriel was obviously very theatrical back in the day, but now on the 21st century stage something like that seems a bit of a cheesy anachronism.

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 20, 2021, 01:50:21 PM
Apropos of nothing, the best sounding Genesis tribute band I've heard is The Farm - they played two gigs as students and then broke up, but their lead singer really sounds exactly like Phil circa 1976.  Worth a listen if you like that kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/vpdigital/videos (maybe start on Old Medley / Los Endos)

I've seen The Farm a couple of times, but was disappointed.  Mainly because of the large amount of Phil solo stuff, but also I find the guy's voice quite wimpy.

I've seen ALL of the UK tribute bands and all of the main international ones, and the only two that really stood out were ReGenesis when they had Glyn Protheroe on vocals (didn't sound anything like Gabriel or Collins, but he was an amazing singer in his own right), and The Musical Box when they had Martin Levac (who REALLY sounds a lot like early 70s Collins, both drumming and singing [struggles a bit with his later more powerful vocal style though]) followed by bona fide jazzer Gregg Bendian on drums.  Unfortunately, and aside from those two, TMB have always had a knack of picking drummers who were either a bit shit, or whose playing style didn't fit the band or the music.  Honestly think I could play better than the first guy they had, and I've never sat at a drum kit in my entire life.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 20, 2021, 03:05:55 PM
I've seen The Farm a couple of times, but was disappointed.  Mainly because of the large amount of Phil solo stuff, but also I find the guy's voice quite wimpy.

They only ever played two gigs in Germany (and the first was before they even had a name!) so I'm not sure it'd be the same band!  For me, the band I linked to sound almost exactly like Seconds Out era Genesis: instrumentation, vocals, dual drum kits, the lot.  He can't pull off Land of Confusion, and later-era Phil, although their rendition of Fading Lights is top notch.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 20, 2021, 03:51:38 PM
They only ever played two gigs in Germany (and the first was before they even had a name!) so I'm not sure it'd be the same band!

You're correct - further research suggests I was getting them confused with PHIL, who were another German Genesis/Collins tribute/covers band.

TheMonk

There's a doco coming out on the tour rehearsals.
The dropping of the keys continue. I take no pleasure in saying they're starting to sound like my old Walkman a minute before the battery ran dry.
https://www.facebook.com/samuelmegr/videos/306264764596095/

olliebean

That link is telling me this:

QuoteThis content isn't available at the moment
When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people or changed who can see it, or it's been deleted.

TheMonk

Quote from: olliebean on August 31, 2021, 01:16:13 PM
That link is telling me this:
Oh sorry. Probably for the best.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: TheMonk on August 31, 2021, 12:55:14 PM
The dropping of the keys continue. I take no pleasure in saying they're starting to sound like my old Walkman a minute before the battery ran dry.

God I hate when bands do that, New Order are guilty of this.

PaulTMA

Quote from: TheMonk on August 31, 2021, 12:55:14 PM

But are they now even lower than on the last tour? 

SweetPomPom

Quote from: PaulTMA on September 01, 2021, 09:34:39 AM
But are they now even lower than on the last tour?

Confusion sounds lower and slower, v short clip to judge from tho

Flouncer

Quote from: TheMonk on August 31, 2021, 09:37:23 PM
Here 'tis:
https://youtu.be/4LwS-2BWlVI

Fucking hell man... That reminds me of the episode of South Park where they book Rod Stewart and when he turns up he's a moribund invalid in a wheelchair who just shits his pants.

Kankurette

According to a friend who worked for Ticketline, the most horrible entitled fans he had to deal with were Rod Stewart fans.

PaulTMA

Quote from: SweetPomPom on September 01, 2021, 10:03:33 AM
Confusion sounds lower and slower, v short clip to judge from tho

They should bill this as the vaporware tour, seems to be the only solution

TheMonk

Hour long documentary on the preparations for the new tour. May not be up long.
An interesting watch.
Jesus, some of those songs sound completely menacing in a low key with a singer who is struggling to keep up. Nice videos and lights, but.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpkcPgg8TiE

Shit Good Nose

Also on Sky Arts on Sunday.

Phil is definitely dead soon isn't he.

Also, as I suspected very early on, the music is REALLY missing the double drums - Cinema Show is missing an entire percussion melody.

Ah well, it will be the last time they'll be on stage together, so I have a duty.

Tikwid

Watching the performance sections it's sad to hear the state of Phil's vocals, not really because of the lower keys but because the intonation is so loose and unprecise - at some points even falling out of time with the pitch-perfect backing vocalists. I'm hoping that's just his singing being a bit rusty and that it'll improve during the run of shows, because the band don't sound half bad, even with the single drums. In this configuration it feels like they almost have an Abacab or Duke type sound - "cold" but in the sense of being tight, punchy and dramatic rather than overly artificial or sterile. (mind you, that buzzy synth lead on The Cinema Show....)

olliebean

Surely it's only since Phil took over lead vocals that they've had another drummer on stage? So The Cinema Show wouldn't have had double drums when they originally performed it?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: olliebean on September 08, 2021, 08:54:17 AM
Surely it's only since Phil took over lead vocals that they've had another drummer on stage? So The Cinema Show wouldn't have had double drums when they originally performed it?

Not when they played it on the Selling England tour in 73-74, but from 76 when the double drums were first introduced (with Bill Bruford) it became a COMPLETELY different beast - tempo was ramped up massively and the relatively pedestrian beat of the original became an intricate and frenetic percussion workout.  There are VERY few fans, even those who have a strong preference for the Gabriel years, who would choose the original 73-74 version over a later post-Gabriel one.  From the doc, it sounds like they're using the 78-onwards version (which is different again from the 76 one and has always been part of a medley), which has always had double drums.  Nic appears to be playing Phil's part, so Chester Thompson's part is missing.  It's very noticeable to a hardcore fan.

Pauline Walnuts

They really should have videoed that 75 Lamb tour, ir at least got some high quality muiltrack recordings.

I've said too much.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 08, 2021, 09:16:14 AM
They really should have videoed that 75 Lamb tour, ir at least got some high quality muiltrack recordings.

I've said too much.

Tony Maylam could at least release the two complete 76 shows he filmed, without all that fucking stock footage he put in for the official 45min release.  But he refuses to let the band have them or do anything with them himself.  The massive cunt.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 08, 2021, 09:20:58 AM
Tony Maylam could at least release the two complete 76 shows he filmed, without all that fucking stock footage he put in for the official 45min release.  But he refuses to let the band have them or do anything with them himself.  The massive cunt.

hopefully he'll die in debt soon then

mrClaypole

I have 2 tickets for Manchester at 80 quid each for sale as something has happened and I can no longer go. PM me if interested in taking them off my hands

jamiefairlie

Quote from: mrClaypole on September 08, 2021, 04:59:45 PM
I have 2 tickets for Manchester at 80 quid each for sale as something has happened and I can no longer go. PM me if interested in taking them off my hands

You watched the rehearsals?

imitationleather

Pauline Walnuts

Genesis the Last Domino full broadcast, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaX3e1jZHHE&t=0s

Must be genuine, it's on Youtube.