Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:06:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat)

Started by Blinder Data, March 03, 2020, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Malcy

Malcy

Small Man Big Horse

Apparently the new season is going to start shooting this month, as originally planned, so may debut in 2021 (though another lockdown might of course prevent that). https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/09/11/doctor-who-series-13-begins-filming-in-the-next-few-weeks-but-will-transmission-be-delayed-until-2022/

Kelvin

They've confirmed in some official guide that this new Master does indeed come straight after Missy, thus killing the slim possibility that hers might have been the final death for that character.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 18, 2020, 05:12:41 PM
Apparently the new season is going to start shooting this month, as originally planned, so may debut in 2021 (though another lockdown might of course prevent that). https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/09/11/doctor-who-series-13-begins-filming-in-the-next-few-weeks-but-will-transmission-be-delayed-until-2022/

Apparently 2022 is more likely. Saw something the other day stating it would be 'a miracle' if it was on in 2021. Makes me think that the next special might be more likely on NYD 2021 so they can say that it was on that year.

Quote from: Kelvin on September 18, 2020, 06:32:28 PM
They've confirmed in some official guide that this new Master does indeed come straight after Missy, thus killing the slim possibility that hers might have been the final death for that character.

The way it should be. There were so many posts online about Chibnall 'destroying' Missy's redemption with poor writing by making The Master unhinged again etc but it makes more sense that the next incarnation would be reset back to normal as regeneration changes the person each time. If a redemption was going to last then i'm sure the Doctor would have tried harder several of The Master's regenerations ago.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 18, 2020, 05:12:41 PM

Here's hoping that headline conforms to Betteridge's Law.

Thomas

Quote from: Malcy on September 18, 2020, 07:16:30 PM
The way it should be. There were so many posts online about Chibnall 'destroying' Missy's redemption with poor writing by making The Master unhinged again etc but it makes more sense that the next incarnation would be reset back to normal as regeneration changes the person each time. If a redemption was going to last then i'm sure the Doctor would have tried harder several of The Master's regenerations ago.

I'm one of the naysayers (though I like Dhawan's performance), but I could get onboard with your reasoning - if they'd let the Master lie for more than eleven episodes.

The 'big return' and reset happened so soon that I wondered if the actual reveal would be that he was just someone pretending to be the Master.

mjwilson

Tweetalong of Mummy on the Orient Express from 7 tonight. Not sure if there are any cast or crew tweeting or whether it's just a fan thing.

daf

It's the official lockdown site (Emily Cook) but I don't think there's any major bods taking part - this hashtag brings up the tweets linked to it :#66seconds

Thomas

I swear these polls happen more frequently than regenerations, but the Radio Times has declared the ultimate democratic ranking of the Docs:

Quote1. David Tennant
2. Jodie Whittaker
3. Peter Capaldi
4. Matt Smith
5. Tom Baker
6. William Hartnell
7. Paul McGann
8. Christopher Eccleston
9. Jon Pertwee
10. Patrick Troughton
11. Sylvester McCoy
12. Colin Baker
13. Peter Davison

A first for Col, at least. From the results, I'm not sure if the question was 'best Doctor' or 'last Doctor you saw on promotional imagery'.

Any top five of mine would have to include Capaldi, Baker, Smith, and Troughton, not necessarily in that order. Fifth spot is up for grabs. Tennant, Eccleston, Pertwee, and McGann[nb]unfairly, McGann's only had a few minutes of screentime, but he's clearly a great un.[/nb] can tussle for it.

olliebean

Any poll that puts Tennant top can do one, frankly.

Bold of Thomas to admit to having Colin in his top 5.

Thomas

Deanjam

Clearly a massive recency bias as always with that poll. Hartnell no doubt bumped from his usual lowly place by the first Doctor's appearance with Matt. There's not much to say about these things other than other people have different opinions to me.

So listy, listy ...

01. Patrick Troughton
02. Tom Baker
03. Jon Pertwee
04. William Hartnell
05. Matt Smith
06. Peter Davison
07. Christopher Eccleston
08. Paul McGann
09. Sylvester McCoy
10. David Tennant
11. Colin Baker
12. John Hurt
13. Philip Hinchcliffe in a wig
14. Jodie Whitaker

daf

Quote from: olliebean on September 27, 2020, 02:04:47 PM
Bold of Thomas to admit to having Colin in his top 5.

Here's one for you - Colin Baker is my favourite Doctor - no irony!

The Marian Conspiracy
The One Doctor
Jubilee
Doctor Who and The Pirates

(there's loads more, but those are the ones that are available for free on spotify)

Quote from: daf's listPremier Division :
Colin Baker
Patrick Troughton
Tom Baker
Peter Capaldi
- - - - - - - - - - 
Championship :
William Hartnell
Matt Smith
Jon Pertwee
Peter Davison
- - - - - - - - - - 
Bradshaw's Snackbox League 1 :
Paul McGann
David Warner *
John Hurt
David Tennant
- - - - - - - - - - 
Relegation Zone :
Peter Cushing
Jodie Whitaker
Christopher Eccleston
Sylvester McCoy

Note : my bottom 3 are all massive gurners and play it as if they're on a CBBC show.

- - - - - -
* (David Warner is a 'Big Finish' Doctor from an alternative universe - currently teamed up with Bernice Summerfield)

Alberon

The list is skewed as they were only asking who was your favourite, rather than listing them in order.

Davison isn't my favourite Doctor, but he's in the top five.

Norton Canes

Mister Six

Quote from: Alberon on September 27, 2020, 05:49:03 PM
The list is skewed as they were only asking who was your favourite, rather than listing them in order.

Davison isn't my favourite Doctor, but he's in the top five.

Would have been a lot more interesting but they'd asked people to put them in order, then weighted the results - 13 points for someone's top choice, going down to 1 point for the least favourite. Although it might have scared off people who aren't familiar with the old guard, I suppose.

daf

Quote from: Thomas on September 27, 2020, 02:00:54 PM
unfairly, McGann's only had a few minutes of screentime, but he's clearly a great un.

He certainly is!

Fun fact : McGann is still the longest serving doctor - lasting 8 years 10 months from his first appearance (1996) to when the next one took over (2005).

And, thanks to Big Finish, McGann has been in more stories than Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee combined!

Deanjam

daf

8 years, 8 months.

Here's my source - There's probably a better one out there somewhere (they haven't bothered to update it since Matt Smith's first season).

Thomas

Quote from: daf on September 27, 2020, 07:22:13 PM
He certainly is!

I'm nevertheless grateful that an American-produced Doctor Who never went ahead. Doctor Who in the '90s. American. Half-human backstory bollocks, the Doctor and the Master - now half-brothers - searching for their father. A hail of bullets swerved.

Thankfully, no 21st century British showrunner would ever diminish the basis of the central character with a poorly scripted, unsatisfying, sub-fanfic mega-twist. Phew!

daf

Ah, I'm judging him on his Big Finish work.

The Movie is a bit of a 'Decca Audition' for me - it's an interesting curio, but the real magic lies elsewhere.

Thomas

I must listen to Big Finish. I bookmarked a few on Spotify, but frequent ads give me brain tumours. I will invest.

In the meantime, there's a YouTube channel that churns out some great mixes of the main theme. I've been meaning to share this one, the most creative I've heard yet: Dr. Disco.

mjwilson

Quote from: daf on September 27, 2020, 07:43:09 PM
8 years, 8 months.

Here's my source - There's probably a better one out there somewhere (they haven't bothered to update it since Matt Smith's first season).

PEDANT ALERT

They're ignoring Shalka then, which, although it didn't ultimately lead to anything, was certainly a replacement for McGann at the time.

The Roofdog

Quote from: mjwilson on September 27, 2020, 08:52:12 PM
PEDANT ALERT

They're ignoring Shalka then, which, although it didn't ultimately lead to anything, was certainly a replacement for McGann at the time.

I mean, pretty pedantic given that before it finished airing they'd announced it was coming back to TV so didn't even count.

JamesTC

Quote from: Thomas on September 27, 2020, 08:43:28 PM
I must listen to Big Finish. I bookmarked a few on Spotify, but frequent ads give me brain tumours. I will invest.

The downloads of the first 50 go on sale for 99p each every 6 months or so.

Small Man Big Horse

Just read the two Time Lord Victorious comics by Jody Houser, it's a fun enough self contained romp as Ten has to help the Daleks defeat a terrible threat to the universe, nothing that hasn't been done before really but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless. Not sure if I'd feel differently if I paid for it, but it's definitely worth reading for free.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 09, 2020, 08:42:25 PM
Just read the two Time Lord Victorious comics by Jody Houser, it's a fun enough self contained romp as Ten has to help the Daleks defeat a terrible threat to the universe, nothing that hasn't been done before really but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless. Not sure if I'd feel differently if I paid for it, but it's definitely worth reading for free.

I have the first downloaded and forgot about it. Will read both tonight I think.