Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:14:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat)

Started by Blinder Data, March 03, 2020, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

So, from the final scene of Series 12, what do we know about Revolution of the Daleks? Only that the Doctor is in prison, and so the companions are on their own.

However, after seven months, two brand new promo images released at the New York Comic-Con reveal more! Namely that the Doctor is in prison:[nb]She's actually totting up the number of pre-Hartnell Doctors. Remember that neat twist? Don't forget it![/nb]

And the companions are on their own:

Exciting pics!

Thomas

Double-post bastard, but look, in that second image, at how even set and costume designed are 100% geared toward assisting the teal-and-orange filter. Such a strange new constraint. It happens across most TV dramas now. I recall that every item in every room of the otherwise mostly-very-good Bodyguard was blue or orange.

Orange walls, orange furniture, blue clothes, orange-and-blue rug, orange-and-blue curtains - even orange and blue in the post-it notes and receipts on the orange tabletop. It's dull innit? It limits the look of the show's entire world (as it does in most afflicted productions - but Doctor Who especially is tasked with showcasing the visual breadth of the entire universe).

I imagine the reds and the greys in the prison scenes will similarly service the ubiquitous colour grading. Watch out for teal lighting strips and lens flare.

Malcy

Been a lot of talk about
Spoiler alert
Ruth
[close]
recently so I'm wondering will they appear. Also
Spoiler alert
Barrowman was spotted on set for the special
[close]
so apart from it being about Daleks and this synopsis

Quote"The upcoming festive special will see the return of one of the Doctor's biggest and most feared enemies – the Daleks," the new synopsis reads. "The Doctor is locked away in a high-security alien prison. Isolated, alone, with no hope of escape.

"Far away, on Earth, her best friends, Yaz, Ryan and Graham have to pick up their lives without her. But it's not easy. Old habits die hard. Especially when they discover a disturbing plan forming. A plan which involves a Dalek. How can you fight a Dalek, without the Doctor?"

There's still not much known. Trailer next month probably.

The Daleks series has a trailer and a clip out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oaEvHnMPeH4&t=0s

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fZ4aHYlfA4E&t=0s

daf

Oh Jeeeesus, the Daleks AGAIN!?

It's like as if The Beatles insisted on putting a version of 'Love Me Do' on every sodding album!

Mister Six

What was the final scene of series 12? I remember The Doctor running off while a bloke topped himself using a plastic Cyberman toy and that's it.

Malcy

Quote from: Mister Six on October 11, 2020, 12:27:30 AM
What was the final scene of series 12? I remember The Doctor running off while a bloke topped himself using a plastic Cyberman toy and that's it.

Judoon appeared in the TARDIS & locked the Doctor up in a prison.

Mister Six

Replies From View

Despite the long gaps I don't think I have ever given less of a shit about my once-favourite show.

I'll probably watch it but to be honest it's not guaranteed.  I'd rather wait until someone announces the new nonsense backstory has been retconned away or another showrunner / head writer steps in and ignores it all.

Can't be fussed with experiencing first hand the undramatic, expository journey leading to that point.  I can get the same experience reading the Wikipedia summaries if I need to.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on October 10, 2020, 07:38:51 PM
The Daleks series has a trailer and a clip out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oaEvHnMPeH4&t=0s

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fZ4aHYlfA4E&t=0s

Depending on how effectively they animate non-Daleks this may be how I experience Doctor Who for the time being.  This and the Classic Who animation releases.  Chibnall brings nothing.

Mister Six

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on October 11, 2020, 03:11:14 PM
If anything, he removes.

Definitely.  Adding unnecessary character origin exposition subtracts from the mystery of the show, its atmosphere and wonder.  Adding what will probably amount to four or five Chibnall series to RTD and Moffat's continuity subtracts by diluting the existing brilliance of what is there (even taking into account RTD and Moffat's own misfires), just as piling more and more seasons of Zombie Simpsons into the mix shrinks the percentage of brilliant Simpsons down every year.  It's not an additive process.

Malcy

Weeping Angels VR game coming. Has Osgood and that bloke from the video shop in Blink. I forget his name.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=y20ohRYUKv8

Replies From View

VelourSpirit

Tennant genuinely feels like the incumbent Doctor right now, it's hilarious

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on October 11, 2020, 04:10:17 PM
Tennant and Whittaker crossover in it too.

That's a separate game. The Whittaker/Tennant crossover comic was alright. Think they're getting another one as well.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on October 11, 2020, 08:58:26 PM
That's a separate game.

Oh, okay.  Tennant's Doctor has a cameo at the end of the video you shared, for some reason.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on October 11, 2020, 09:25:04 PM
Oh, okay.  Tennant's Doctor has a cameo at the end of the video you shared, for some reason.

No, you're right, My mistake. It must have been uploaded straight after this one

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OyHi5uDUqIo&t

Which is the Weeping Angel one I meant to share originally but I copied the wrong link!

kidsick5000

I do wonder about the animation for Doctor Who projects.
Why is it always so simplistic? And why do people seem to love it, as though they've not seen anything animated since Captain Pugwash

Alberon

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 11, 2020, 10:22:34 PM
I do wonder about the animation for Doctor Who projects.
Why is it always so simplistic? And why do people seem to love it, as though they've not seen anything animated since Captain Pugwash

Money basically. And there are enough fans for this, since it is so cheap to make.

Big Finish being involved in the latest 60s reanimation DVDs, and making big changes to the visual design, leads me to think they're going to do animated new Doctor Who stories (as opposed to these spin offs). Though I can't see that much more money being put into each one than the reanimations.

Malcy

Replies From View

SUCH MINUSCULE PORTIONS OF SHITE YOU ARE SERVING US, AMBASSADOR, AND SO VERY INFREQUENTLY

It's nothing to do with covid obviously, as if they can film 8 they can film 12.  Just the latest excuse in the gradual cutting back of episodes being made.  I bet Chibnall is sexually aroused by the thought of covid-related deaths because they mean he doesn't have to receive the same kind of blame Moffat was getting.

I wonder what price the DVD box set will be

frajer

Chibbers already thought 14 eps was too many, he must have been over the moon at getting it down from 11 to 8.

One for the (Doctor) Who's doing well out of the pandemic thread.

Mister Six

Eventually Doctor Who episode lengths will be in the minus figures, meaning viewers are made to submit their own lolrandom speeches about how "Benito Mussolini was a bad, bad man, but he liked Walnut Whips."

And it'll still be better than anything Chibnall can write.

lipsink

It's not up to Chibnalls though, is it?

I remember Moffat complaining about how people thought it was up to him how many episodes would go out each year.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on November 11, 2020, 07:04:51 PM
I wonder what price the DVD box set will be

Unless they actually pay me, I'm not touching anything after Capaldi with a bargepole!

The Roofdog

Quote from: lipsink on November 11, 2020, 08:17:06 PM
It's not up to Chibnalls though, is it?

I remember Moffat complaining about how people thought it was up to him how many episodes would go out each year.

Moffat was talking shite though. It wasn't "up to him" in the sense that he would tell them that he was going to spend the next 9 months making Sherlock and they would have to go "oh.... right then"

M-CORP

They're making less episodes, and I expect it still won't be out until late 2021, or (most likely) January 2022, which is when I've always assumed it will be out what with COVID. Really does feel like the endgame with them slowly winding down, COVID or no COVID - even before all this they were going to take a long break from March to September, and it now takes a whole year to make 10 episodes when they were previously able to churn out 14 episodes and spin offs in nine months IIRC.

Still, good news for us critics of the Chibnall era - less episodes to sit through, a quicker process, and less excuses for the writers, as they've had even more time to make less episodes. Look at what RTD and Moffat could achieve in shorter timeframes. Am I being too harsh?

M-CORP

Please excuse my error. I can't write. Corrected below:

They're making a smaller amount of episodes...