Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:23:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat)

Started by Blinder Data, March 03, 2020, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Part 3
Quote from:  Vincent & The DoctorRICHARD CURTIS : I rewrote that line 'what a whinger' so many times - and i suspect in the end matt probably improvised it. ‪#TheUltimateGinger‬
- - - - - - - - - -
BILL NIGHY : "I went to makeup and they said 'you know they've sewn every dot' I said 'yep, I heard..' ..then Matt came up to welcome me and  said 'you know the costume people have sewn every one of those dots on your tie?'  I said 'yeah.'"
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : I'm now remembering after those beers that Matt and‪ @TonyCurran69‬ had a wrestling match in the hotel. It went on so long I remember having another full length conversation and then noticing they were STILL GOING
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : Would you say it's a chicken, or possibly a turkey?
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN : Man I loved that hat and coat... actors sometimes find Wardobe in there bag once you leave set..... I think production may have called me...
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS :  Vincent loves Amy Pond. Do you see what i did there? Love, actually.
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN : This day was actually the first day on set..... no pressure [kiss emoji] ‪@karengillan‬
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN : Who's doesn't Love ‪@karengillan[lovehearts eyes emoji]
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : Matt Smith would be a VERY good Bond btw.
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : So would Amy Pond. pond for bond.
- - - - - - - - - -
MATT SMITH : "Night shoots! Richard, you were there at this one... I was GRILLING you about Blackadder"
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : And Bill Nighy could play M. or Q. or frankly any letter of the alphabet.
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : As for Tony - he can be the Bond Villain. There we are - cast sorted.
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS :  And the monster could be what they all eat when they are celebrating victory in Le Caprice. ‪#chickendinner‬ ‪
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN : Ah yes I believe Vincent and the doctor thought it might be fun to have a wrestle and see who'd win..... not sure if the outcome? ‪@karengillan‬ who's your money on? You remember that Matt?
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : It was a very sloppy drunken tie
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : I keep thinking 'how do they do this'. This is real directing! Thanks Johnny.
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : It was cold outside this Church
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS :  I seem to remember they used quite a lot of hairdryers for the invisible chicken.
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN : I recall flying back from LA and having jet lag and food poisoning, great combo when strapped in a harness.... fighting monsters.... was a fun day.....

- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : Actually, I am quite scared of the monster now. Skewered with an easel!!! come ON!
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : Ah yes. My classic docTOOOR
- - - - - - - - - -
MATT SMITH :  "Invisible monster stroking action"
- - - - - - - - - -
MATT SMITH : "One of my fave bits coming up!!! The painting the painting!"
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : This church was also in another episode or two. I think The beast below at the end and also the episodes with all the cubes
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : So – here's the thing – the key reason I wrote this episode – was out of love for my sister Bindy. She was a gorgeous and brilliant person, 2 years older than me. She loved Vincent Van Gogh and life. She couldn't have been more full of generosity and joy.
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : But half way through her life she was hit by depression and intermittently it hurt her for the rest of her life. And a few years before this show, like Vincent, she took her own life.
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : I was so keen to think about this – and talk about it a little – and try to understand how mental health can work – how it is part of the lives of the most wonderful people. And in the key scene of the episode – when they bring Vincent to the future...
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : .... that was me trying to show Bin how glorious she had been in our lives – and how nothing could change that. ‪
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : And then also to deal with the fact that mental health issues are hard – and the capacity for joy, as I know Bindy did know how much she was loved, is intertwined with the immense difficulty of the illness sometimes....
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : .... So taking her own life wasn't a failure by her, or a rejection of all of us. It was, as they say on Love island, what it was. ‪
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : I think she would have liked the episode – as I say – she loved Vincent Van Gogh – and she would have LOVED Matt Smith. And Tony. And Karen. She already adored Bill. ‪#TheUltimateGinger‬
- - - - - - - - - -

Mister Six

daf

Part 4
Quote from: Vincent & The DoctorTONY CURRAN : Kinda incredible that 167 years after his birth, we're all on our social devices tweeting away... his beautiful work and life resonates more than he could ever have imagined.... #TheUltimateGinger‬
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : Omg now realizing A Quiet Place also ripped us off [two crying with laughter emojis]
- - - - - - - - - -
BILL NIGHY : "Anyone who has ever heard about Vincent Van Gogh immediately wanted to do precisely this... bring him into the present and tell him that he could probably buy Arles"
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN : Brace yourself Vinny.... fave lines haha ‪@emmafreud‬ Matt.....
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : The song playing is Chances by Athlete. We were so grateful they let us use it – those first lines – 'Take all your chances while you can / Never know when they pass you by.' And then that explosion when it turns ecstatic.
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN :  Sorry but my nail game is strong in this ep
- - - - - - - - - -
MATT SMITH : "One of the great WHO moments for 11... showing Vinny the goods! Classic Curtis"
- - - - - - - - - -
BILL NIGHY : "He said 'It's only right, I'd sew stuff on your tie.'  I said 'Can I quote you on that?' He said 'feel free'.   So I just have ..."
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN :  Always thought it was genius of Richard Curtis to bring Vincent and the Doctor together like this ending....
- - - - - - - - - -
MATT SMITH : "Well done Jonny Cambell. Finely directed!"
- - - - - - - - - -
MATT SMITH : "Yes! Billy Nighy the future Doctor is back!!!!!"
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : The key line in the whole thing – " no, they are tears of joy" in fact comes from an extraordinary film called " Elle S'Appelle Sabine". It was made by Sandrine Bonnaire about her sister Sandrine – who has, like my Bindy, been a blazing youngster...
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : ... but by the time the film was shot is living in protected care, almost unrecognizeable.
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : And at the end of the film – Sandrine shows Sabine some video footage of when life was better and they went on holiday – and Sabine suddenly howls, seeing her former self on the TV....
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : ... And her sister rushes to turn off the tv – but Sabine stops her and says – " No, they are tears of joy." Gosh, it's the most wonderful, compassionate and beautiful film in every way.
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN : Such great words from Richard beautiful delivered by Bill......
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN :  I still have some of the spare posters from the Tardis scene.
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : Oh no. I'm about to cry
- - - - - - - - - -
MATT SMITH : "Great writing Richard"
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : Nothing can make me wail cry like a a Richard Curtis script
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN :  Such a honor to have been part of this production, the way it's touched so many people who may suffer from depression or mental health issues.... to bring it to light that it's ok to talk about it.......
- - - - - - - - - -
MATT SMITH : ‪@karengillan didn't you swipe the sunflowers?? Ain't they on your wall!???
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : I remember laughing at something silly with Matt during this final scene and being told off by our brilliant director to maintain the emotional setting for Tony's performance. We shut up. And it worked.
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN :  and also people who never knew much about Van Gogh discovered him... and people who never knew Dr Who discovered the show also.... it was a great combination....
- - - - - - - - - -
MATT SMITH : "That was bloody lovely. What a nice interlude for us all. Be safe everyone. Take care. Bow ties are cool. M X"
- - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD CURTIS : Thanks so much for watching. Lots of love, and good night. Especially to any gingers. And any chickens. ‪
- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN : Sorry about the beard... [crying with laughter emoji]
- - - - - - - - - -
KAREN GILLAN : Look what I got...my dad went on a secret mission to get it for my birthday. Had no idea! Best gift.

- - - - - - - - - -
TONY CURRAN : Ahh that's fantastic hun.... #TheUltimateGinger‬
- - - - - - - - - -

A MESSAGE FROM RICHARD CURTIS ‪

- - - - - - - - - -
@GiveUsAShout‬  ‪@CrisisTextLine‬

Ambient Sheep

That is amazing, daf.  I couldn't get it to work properly so that's invaluable!  Thanks so much.

Thomas

daf

Thanks - look forward to the next one - #thesensorites anyone? [winky-face emoji]

Mister Six

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Thank you daf.

(And I do love that Nighy was just rambling on about how ties for the duration...)

daf

Just for the record, everything is in the right order, but I grouped Richard Curtis' thoughts about his sister together at the end of part 3 so they wouldn't be interrupted * (the first two tweets in part four were originally in the middle of them).

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (and also the bits about the film in part 4)

Malcy

There's a Torchwood one with John Barrowman as well. Saw a Radio Times article earlier but didn't click it.

Mister Six

It's sad that this is making me happier and more excited about Doctor Who than I've been in three years (at least).

Replies From View

What's sadder is that I feel somewhat dispassionate about all this, as if Chibnall has made me lose interest in the show more deeply.

Bill Nighy doddering on about his bow tie long after everyone had lost interest. Brilliant.

Thomas

Another Doctor Who short story materialises; 'Press Play', by bloke who wrote 'Kerblam!' and 'Praxeus'.

I wrote a Doctor Who short story last year and I think it's good. Dear BBC short story department, please accept it, thanks.

Thomas

Quote from: Thomas on March 30, 2020, 12:24:21 AM
I'm rewatching Remembrance of the Daleks at the moment. It manages to meddle with the Doctor's history in a successful and interesting way, prompting obvious (and unhappy) comparisons to The Timeless Children. It's still laced with some of the 80s crap that beleaguered Who at the time, but its effects budget is notably impressive and it tells a great Dalek tale in a novel setting. And it teases out those mysteries about the Doctor's past with patience and ambiguity, rather than just having a character essentially reel them off to camera in a strained 30-minute monologue.

I'm onto part three of Remembrance of the Daleks now, and I just wanted to revisit my praise with an addendum: Christ these Daleks are wobbly. It must have been quite exciting for kids to imagine Daleks rolling around on ordinary streets, but they simultaneously look crap. The budget must have gone on all the explosions, and fitting that Dalek with a hovercraft so that it could fly cumbersomely up the stairs.

The 2005 redesign was very clever. It is absolutely a Dalek in its silhouette and proportions, but it finally looks like it won't fall apart in a breeze. As with the Cybermen, the simplicity and black-and-white of the '60s worked in the early Daleks' favour. It's why they weren't particularly jarring when they returned in The Magician's Apprentice. They slide along, eerie and metallic. But put an 80s Dalek on colour videotape and record it in daylight - especially with those little cartoon pupils - and the illusion collapses.

I do think Chibnall came up with the basics of a good Dalek story for Resolution, but the microwave resolution was baffling. As was the decision - criticised recently by another poster - to draft in brand new one-off characters, instead of giving Yaz something to do by having the Dalek attach itself to her.

Double post dickhead.

pigamus

I'm hoping for a Remembrance "Bloody hell is Doctor Who good again?" moment after Chibnall leaves.

Chairman Yang

I'd kind of forgot/assumed Chibnall was gone now but no he's actually still here isn't he? It's just the season ended. Oh fuck, it's like Homer Simpson falling down the gorge.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Thomas on April 01, 2020, 02:14:54 PM
I'm onto part three of Remembrance of the Daleks now, and I just wanted to revisit my praise with an addendum: Christ these Daleks are wobbly

They had to fit the casings onto tricycle frames rather than the usual castors, so they could cope with the cobbles.

What gets me with a lot of classic era Who is that they would plan all these ambitious scenes and effects, that obviously had to be implemented on a tiny budget; but when it came to shooting them, no-one would actually see how it looked in execution and go, "Hang on, we can't do this, it's shit". So instead of maybe putting the Daleks on camera rails so they moved smoothly, and shooting them in mid-shot, they just went ahead and filmed them wobbling all over the place on cobbles. On cobbles! They didn't even think to find a smoother bit of road.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Thomas on April 01, 2020, 01:00:31 PM
Another Doctor Who short story materialises; 'Press Play', by bloke who wrote 'Kerblam!' and 'Praxeus'.

I wrote a Doctor Who short story last year and I think it's good. Dear BBC short story department, please accept it, thanks.

It's churllsh to criticise something benign and with good intent, so I shan't. But this does confirm it's not just Chibnall who writes like this.

lipsink

Will there be a Chibnall tweet along? That would be enlightening.

"I like this scene. It's good."

Mango Chimes

He should join the Spyfall one.

"And here's Sacha as O! That's pronounced 'oh'. Like the exclamation, "Oh!" I'm doing a wordplay thing like Steven used to do. I think."

"When you've got a big twist like this, you have to be careful to not give too much away. That is why I put absolutely nothing to do with the Master in his character. Like Professer Yana, he didn't know he was the Master. O here does, but the principles probably the same. By having no hints whatsoever, even on a rewatch, there's nothing to give it away!"

"This scene is important. It's where the Doctor easily corners Lenny Henry, then casually lets him leave, and it doesn't seem like a problem at all. This sets up the next scene, a chase scene! Where our characters urgently have to follow Lenny Henry now."

"Now, if you look, you'll see Sasha is okay at running, but noticeably not a champion sprinter... What I'm doing here is called 'seeding'."

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 01, 2020, 03:19:01 PM
They had to fit the casings onto tricycle frames rather than the usual castors, so they could cope with the cobbles.

That's right!  And they used those ballbarrow ball things on those frames, which may have contributed to their wobbliness.

daf

Mister Six

daf

Quote from: Spyfall part 1SACHA DHAWAN :  Hey guys, you up for watching this with me? Will be tweeting live! Much love to everyone, hope you're keeping well and safe x
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  GETTING READY FOR THE WATCH PARTY
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  Right then ready for ‪#spymaster‬ rewatch partaaayyyy. I'm remember how HOT it was during filming
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : Here we go!!! I remember being as nervous as hell watching this for the first time!! Nervous for the reveal!! And seeing the new opening credits!!
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  Really thought I'd get to wear my police uniform again. ‪#gutted‬#spyfall‬ but what a good boss @The_AsifKhan‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : As you can see it was a tight squeeze in the back there ‪
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  Ok so trying to work out which direction we should be leaning towards whilst in reverse etc was left to Brad because we just couldn't understand it. And maybe we did the wrong direction once or twice. Maybe. ‪#spyfall
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  "Well well well we finally meet"‪ @stephenfry‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  It was very weird how all of a sudden every member of staff needed to be on set the day @stephenfry‬ was there !!! He may have had a small line of people waiting to meet him x ‪
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  I love the duo that is ‪@TosinCole‬ & Brad they do make me laugh together
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  Did you see me pretending to read in the background
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : My first journey to work on ‪#DoctorWho‬ ‪#SouthAfrica‬ #Spymaster‬ heart in my stomach. Excited to meet the gang, especially the lovely ‪@MandipGill‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  thinking about the hottest holiday you've been on at the beach. Times that by two and wear a leather jacket !
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : I kept the wrist tag from the premiere of this episode ‪#Spyfall‬. Christmas time, free to go where you please! God I miss people!!
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  here he is ‪@sacha_dhawan‬! we've become really good mates since. Completely admire his work ethic and creativity ! ‪#spymaster‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : Loved having ‪@LennyHenry‬ on set, we had some really nice conversations and it's always amazing to have guest Actors who're excited to be there too
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : Remember that hot beach holiday and leather jacket I told you about. Now times that by 4 and half it and that's the temperature of this set hence my sweaty hot upper lip. Orrrr I was so nervous about their discovery I was acting been flustered
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : There he is!!! Loved playing 'O'. At this point I hadn't even looked at the script pages for ‪#TheMaster‬ In order for the reveal to work it was easier to play them as two separate people.
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : if you've ever heard about Jodie's Spider story this was THAT set
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : This is where ‪#JodieWhittaker‬ got attacked by the biggest spider ever!!! Outside O's crib!!There's a take of it somewhere out there. She didn't get bitten, thank god
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : I really like "O" he's so cute lol ‪@sacha_dhawan
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : Are you "just here for the running commentary?"
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  I was clenching by butt watching that. Will she, won't she make it
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  Big mistake Yaz next time listen to Ryan
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : well Ryan ran... Was it the right thing to do ?
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  What a beautiful location. It took us hours to drive there but it was worth it !
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN :  Okay this scene between ‪@MandipGill‬ and ‪@TosinCole‬ is soooo beautiful. ‪#Spymaster‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : I just can't believe the work of ‪@sacha_dhawan‬‬ I've fallen hook line and sinker for "O" he seems like he loves the Doctor as much as we do ‪#spyfall‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : Whose the "spy master " he says tut tut tut #skyfall‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : Always always exciting hearing the work of ‪@segunakinola‬
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN :  There's a scene coming up when ‪#TheDoctor‬ asks me if I want to step into the 'box'. Whether or not your a ‪#DoctorWho‬ fan. This was genuine excitement ‪#Shutup‬ ‪#Spymaster‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : Name a better team I dare you. At this point before you know what happens ...

- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  his head to head looks stunning @LennyHenry
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN :  Sneaky fact: The scene where you first see us in our tuxedos. In promo trailers for the episode I was 'magically removed' out of those shots in order to keep the surprise under wraps! ‪#Spymaster‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : trying running in a tuxedo in 40 degrees ‪#spyfall‬ thanks ‪@HolmanRay
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  Oh my god.... ‪#spyfall‬. I'm getting nervous and I know what's coming ... @sacha_dhawan
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : WHAT THE ACTUALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ‪#spymaster‬ @sacha_dhawan‬ it was so amazing to watch sacha in action during this scene. He was so creative and playful with it. We just never knew what was coming !
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : right. This has to be one of my favourite scenes to film ‪#spymaster‬ it was the beginning of filming and it was so exciting to be apart of a big stunt !
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN :  We weren't chasing after anything. Just a rig, with a [camera emoji] on the back of it!!
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN :  Reading all your lovely comments from ‪#Spyfall‬ Part 1. Thank youYou guys are amazing!! Now who's ready for Part 2?? ‪#Spymaster‬

daf

Quote from: Spyfall part 2MANDIP GILL :  Okay then SPYFALL part 2. I promise to use the right hashtag this time ‪#spymaster‬ ...
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : there's me doing my own stunts and some toilet paper got stuck to my face !!! ‪#spymaster‬ but the show must go on ...
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : whoops !!!!! you messed with the wrong team tardis Master
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  Thank you Ryan Sinclair. I always knew we could rely on you after nearly losing Graham out the back there
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : can you believe like ten minutes ago we all loved 0. Now look at this behaviour ‪@sacha_dhawan
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : I LOVE the scenes between the Doctor and the Master ‪@sacha_dhawan‬  two incredible Actor's dancing with one another
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : Yes ADA ‪@sylviebriggs‬  
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : Don't you just love @sylviebriggs‬ ?? ‪
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : Absolutely LOVED working with ‪@LennyHenry‬  !!! What an absolute legend!!
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : This scene was an absolute joy to film! ‪#TheMaster‬ enjoys dressing up...

- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : This was one of the best moments to film. ‪#Callmebymyname
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : Wearing this for the first time was a very surreal moment...   
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : ‪#NoraInayatKhan‬,was a British spy in World War II who served in the Special Operations Executive. She became the first female wireless operator to be sent from Britain into occupied France to aid the French Resistance during World War II

- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : Noor Inayat Khan , Ada Lovelace - ‪@sylviebriggs‬ The Master- ‪@sacha_dhawan‬ and The Doctor. In one room, some under the floor but still in one room!
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : did you see what we did there ? dream team tardis  #spymaster‬ RYAAAANNNN
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN :  Starting to plant the seeds here about ‪#Gallifrey‬ Loved working with Jodie on this scene. I just wish I could have jumped in that elevator before her!!
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  These episodes but specifically these scenes are asthetically beautiful ‪@LeeHavenJones‬
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : Think back to earlier today when we met ‪@sacha_dhawan‬ . An hour and a half later here we are with the Master going head to head with The Doctor. It was a proper rollercoaster and I'm in awe of his talent , his dedication and creativity towards the Master
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL :  No not my familyyyyyyy ‪@ShobnaGulati‬ ‪@BhavnishaP‬ & Rav But dads onto something there. "Conspiracy "
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : oh how we didn't realise what this would come to mean... ‪#spymaster‬#chrischibnall[clapping hands emoji]
- - - - - - - - - -
MANDIP GILL : This scene gives me chills. It feels like the first time we really connected with the Doctor. Like really. Again music by ‪@segunakinola‬ ['A-OK' fingers emoji]
- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : Cheeky snaps between me and Jodie from that final scene. It was genuinely incredibly moving. And the first time I got to step onto the tardis set. That scene will stay with me forever. ‪#Spymaster‬ Thank you to everyone who has been on this journey with me

- - - - - - - - - -
SACHA DHAWAN : Lots of love to everyone during this difficult time. Thanks so much for watching. Stay positive xx

olliebean

Doing my own personal rewatch of new Who from the start at the moment, and today I watched Dalek. It's so good, especially compared to anything we've had in the Chibnall era. Eccleston's best performance of the season, too. Genuinely gripped for most of it, even though I've seen it a few times before. How come Rob Shearman never wrote another episode?

Mister Six

Thanks daf! What's the Sylvie Briggs stuff?

Quote from: olliebean on April 01, 2020, 10:24:43 PM
Doing my own personal rewatch of new Who from the start at the moment, and today I watched Dalek. It's so good, especially compared to anything we've had in the Chibnall era. Eccleston's best performance of the season, too. Genuinely gripped for most of it, even though I've seen it a few times before. How come Rob Shearman never wrote another episode?

Got to say, I was very disappointed by Dalek when I rewatched it six or seven years ago (first time since broadcast), while introducing New Who to a pal. The writing seemed incredibly heavy-handed - there really is no subtext, everyone just blurting out stuff like "YOU WOULD MAKE AN EXCELLENT DALEK, DOC-TOR" - and the direction very awkward and choppy. Everything is uncomfortably close-up and there are hardly any two-shots in the conversations, it's all sweaty close-ups of people's faces, even when the dialogue isn't particularly tense. It's weird, because this was shot by the same director as (and I believe in the same unit as) the closing two-parter, and that looks far better and more assured. Maybe all the tension from the last-minute rewrites bled into the shoot.