Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat)

Started by Blinder Data, March 03, 2020, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Great points. 

I hope Chibnall reads that, has a bit of a cry and reworks his plan to make the Master's revelations a lie or something.

Surely he can understand what Cartmel means about the Doctor's mystery being chipped away?  As thick as Chibnall is surely that can cut through?

daf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tonight's tweeters :
RUSSELL T DAVIES : @russelldavies63
STEVEN MOFFATT : @StevenWMoffat
SOPHIA MYLES : @SophiaMyles
Combined link : #Clockdown

mjwilson

Well that episode is just a compilation of Moffat obsessions. (In a good way.)

Sequel thingie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seNAqQ4gzn0&feature=youtu.be

Zygon Invasion/Inversion on Sunday.

mjwilson

Also, for what it's worth, Twitter thinks that Karen Gillan is going to be announced as the lead of the rebooted Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

Deanjam

Quote from: mjwilson on May 06, 2020, 08:38:05 PM
Also, for what it's worth, Twitter thinks that Karen Gillan is going to be announced as the lead of the rebooted Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

The lead? I don't see those films making money without Depp as Jack Sparrow.

daf

Part 1
Quote from: The Girl in the FireplaceRUSSELL T DAVIES : HELLO FAITHFUL VIEWER. And hello @StevenWMoffat and @SophiaMyles and ‪@Emily_Rosina‬, I'm joining you! Yes! Hello! What's this episode about? Is it the one with the pumpernickel? I'm in! #Clockdown #pumpernickel
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Right, hello.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Hiyaaa xxx
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Haven't prepared anything in advance this time, but I have down my homework. And once, in a different reality, this was going to be episode one. @russelldavies63 will explain ...
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : That's such a strange temporary logo! Look at it! Weird! We knew it. But we couldn't afford to replace it until The Runaway Bride
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Mickey's 'It's so realistic!' was my husband's favourite line. He'd then say it when watching any sci fi movie. 'It's so realistic!'
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Weird thing, looking back at my emails. When I was writing this, the new series hadn't started showing. In fact, I wrote some of this in the dub for The Empty Child.
- - - - - - - - - -
SOPHIA MYLES : Hi GUYS!!!! I am LOVING this! #Clockdown
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Hello! This is such a gorgeous episode!
- - - - - - - - - -
SOPHIA MYLES : @russelldavies63 Hi Russell! Long time no speak. [gold star / red heart  / gold star]
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : THE TURK: I suggested this to Stephen because I'd read about a clockwork chess player while writing Casanova for the BBC. ‪https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turk‬ - funnily enough a version of that cropped up with Matt Smith in Nighmare in Silver. At the same time, I'd read a lot about Mm de Pomp when I was writing Casanova, and loved her. This was NOT a David Tennant/Casanova link, I'd have been thinking of this long before David was cast as the Doctor
- - - - - - - - - -
SOPHIA MYLES : Did you know the man who played the King is my old school friend Ben. Have known him since I was 16
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : POMP FACTS: She's called Reinette, 'Little Queen,' because a fortune teller told her as a child that she'd be the king's favourite one day. Clever fortune teller! Also a little pervy maybe.
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : I don't think I ever thought it would REALLY be ep 1. It's way too quirky. Ep 1s are popcorn blockbusters (which I LOVE and are much harder to do.)
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : I have facts about this. I will post the facts. MANY FACTS
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : @SophiaMyles looking very young in this scene but it was a long time ago.
- - - - - - - - - -
SOPHIA MYLES : @StevenWMoffat Hello my old friend. You are a genius....The Shakespeare of our time. Love you [red heart]
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : The Doctor looks out of the window here cos we worried a LOT about the geography. That the little girl's bedroom is NOT in Versailles. Cos you sort of presume it is. The sets feel the same. But moving the fireplace is what saves the day in the end, so we got really hung up on it. It really worried Julie Gardner. "We need to establish it!" So we spent money on that FX view of Paris. And now, with hindsight... it doesn't matter! God, the things that worried us that don't matter at all!
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : "You've been scaring her brain!" He can tell that from her irises. Clever Dr Who!!
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Monster have nightmares about Doctor Who - that's a Paul Cornell idea, shamelessly nicked.
- - - - - - - - - -
SOPHIA MYLES : @StevenWMoffat you are typing so fast I can barely keep up!
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : I plotted this without Mickey, and then got told to include him. Resisted. But in the end, I LOVED writing him.
- - - - - - - - - -
SOPHIA MYLES : getting ready for the big snog
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Whipping off his specs was David's idea - he said he always got caught with his specs on when he fancied someone.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 1/12 THE POSITION OF THE FIREPLACE. Long thread. Bear with. But here's the original Series 2 order of episodes, issued on 25 April 2005. When GITF was EPISODE ONE of the new 2006 series!!

- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 2/12 (By the way: the 1/12 was the last time Christmas episodes were labelled Ep.1. After this they became Ep.X. Because it's too complicated to have the premiere of your new season known as Ep.2. Though Netflix and iPlayer have now reverted and spoilt it!)
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 3/12 Why was GITF Ep.1? I think Steven was so busy, we were luring him back with the prestigious slot of the season opener. But then he delivered. And we read it. Uh oh. It's not an Ep.1! It's brilliant, it's perfect. But not a season opener.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 4/12 I remember , we were SCARED to tell him he wouldn't open the show. "You tell him!" "No, you tell him!" "You tell him, it's your job!" Hah. I think Phil did it in the end
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Glad I was scary one. No one was scared when I RAN it! And no, wrong for an ep 1.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 5/12 so we had to shift GITF. To add to our troubles, on 18 June, at the Parting of the Ways screening at BAFTA, Jane Tranter announced not one but TWO Christmas Specials. Yikes. That was news to me! So...
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 6/12 ...The Runaway Bride stands out as the episode to move. Here's the synopsis from 25 April 2005, it already doesn't read as a 'normal' episode. (When I met Catherine Tate, the name Suzy felt wrong, I just blurted out, "She's called Donna.")

- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 7/12 But we didn't move GITF far down the schedule, because the script was delivered on time (this was never said of Steven ever again, fact fans). And yet neither is it an Ep.2, is it? I felt like we needed to know the new Doctor a bit better, before he falls in love
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 8/12 At which point.. enter Queen Victoria and Tooth & Claw, except I had NO IDEA how she appeared as Ep.2. I can't remember! NB, when you get an oral history of Doctor Who, people are just half-remembering and busking. Hindsight becomes the history.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 9/12 The Queen Victoria script went wrong (a recent DWM said it was about Victoria stalking a vampire through Buckingham Palace. Nope! The original script had Victoria with an alien insect lodged in her eye). So I wrote a new Tooth & Claw quickly, which meant...
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 10/12 ...now, we accidentally had two royal scripts, Victoria and Mme P, which ideally you'd pace out across a series. Except both these scripts were READY! While scripts later down S2 were falling apart. Yikes. So we had to play both upfront...
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 11/12 ...I spent a LONG time worrying that Victoria and Mme P were too close. That having brought the series to a housing estate in London, the new Doctor was now dawdling with royalty. It worried me a LOT. Now? Funny. No worry at all. Who's bothered?!
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 12/12 As for the other stories on that list... 1920's was Stephen Fry's story, but his series Kingdom was commissioned so he had to drop out. There! END OF THREAD! Back to it! What have i missed?
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : This snogging business - it felt heretical back in the day. Not now at all. ...
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Filth
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : POMP FACTS: Mme P's mother was Madeleine de la Motte. Yes, I can exclusively reveal, a distant ancestor of Wilfred Mott. Events had been drawing Donna Noble towards the Doctor for a long, long time, THIS IS CANON
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Okay, so we've all seen this, we know how it ends. Here is the story of the horse though the mirror - and how it nearly went wrong ...
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Loved that moment when I wrote it. Built the whole plot around it. At the first Tone Russell said "No arguments, we're doing this ...
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Haha, did I?! The nerve
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : But the complexity. The MONEY. Eventually they told me they couldn't do it. So I wrote - hurriedly an alternative - and you're about to read it -

The set up as before ...   

‬ 

And then ...

But of course that meant the horse was still on the ship so ...

- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : No, you actually DID leave the horse on the ship! Happily! I said, no you can't do that! Imagine a great big season climax with the Doctor alone and trapped on the Tardis... with a horse!
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : No, no, I wrote an exit for the horse. I just posted it. There's a good Doctor/Mickey gag.
- - - - - - - - - -

daf

Part 2
Quote from: The Girl in the Fireplace
RUSSELL T DAVIES : THE HORSE! @StevenWMoffat has described this problem. I asked Phil Collinson how they ever fixed the horse problem, and here he is, faithful viewer... #Clockdown

- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Angel Coulby there, pre-Merlin fame, she's wonderful, I'd worked with her when she played a policewoman on The Second Coming
- - - - - - - - - -
SOPHIA MYLES : I love Noel Clarke. I remember he was so sweet and had lunch with me on the first day at work.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : POMP FACTS: Mme P come up with the famous phrase "Après nouse le déluge." After us, the flood. Although you can think about what that means for a long time and never be quite sure. Maybe she knew what the Doctor would meet one day on Mars
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : *nous [groan-face emoji]
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Should have put that in! Maybe before the horse through the mirror!
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Dam, that would've been good. RESHOOT
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : @StevenWMoffat I seem to remember your first version of the droids, they had hair over their faces, like The Ring. Have I made that up?!
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Yeah, I thought that was great. Phil said it would be like Cousin It. He was right, I think. Weren't the carnival masks his idea?
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Never credit him with ANYTHING
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : It was an error.
- - - - - - - - - -
SOPHIA MYLES : keeping my eyes open in this scene was my idea. David didn't know [laughing face emoji]
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : I remember writing this - God there was so much exposition to get through! But I think I hid it fairly well.
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Fortunately, realising he had yet more exposition, the Doctor tied a tie round his head ...
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : When I was on Totally Doctor Who's Mastermind, one of the questions was the name of this anti-oil... and I couldn't remember it. The shame. I WAS ROBBED
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : I once came third in a Doctor Who pub quiz because I got questions about my own episodes wrong.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Who are you again?
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Bananas are good. Not sure that was worth another outing, sorry.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : It should be said in every drama
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : In the first cut, this scene between Rose and Reinette was mostly cut. I pled and wept and Russell came to my aid. I love the bit where Reinette describes the ship in her own terms.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Oh yes. Why?! Why on earth did we cut anything?! That's strange. Was it duration..??
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : There was a feeling that maybe the scene slowed the action. Fair point, but I liked the slow bit before it all kicks off. You agreed with me, we whinged like writers.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : D'you know, the older I get, the more I think, don't cut anything and stick with the first draft. Which is the road to hell, probably, but... I believe it!
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Gorgeous playing from Billie and Sophia.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : This is so beautiful. And Reinette's dignity and wisdom here, her understanding of this sci-fi world, is just incredible writing and acting
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : "We're part of events now." Well that certainly clears that up, thank you, Doctor.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : POMP FACTS: Mme P loved porcelain monkeys dressed as noblemen, an art form called singerie. She had a 19-piece orchestra of china monkeys!
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATTPOMP FACT. I read books about her. My favourite fact was that one of her friends discovered his wife was cheating on him because she'd instilled a revolving fireplace. You see what happened!
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : "I'm not winding you up" - I won't lie, I'm proud of that.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : That would be the movie tagline
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : A good ten minutes from the end and the monsters have been defeated already. I wouldn't have put with this in my era!
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : My era's error. Now it gets all boo-hoo, yawn  [eyerolly-face emoji]
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : It's funny, we asked Steven to add Mickey to this episode, which was tricky initially... but if Rose had been left alone here, it would've been unbearable!
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : ... so we got really cruel and stuck her with Mickey!! (No, no, JOKING!)
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : People have always asked how the Doctor would have rescued Rose and Mickey. Remember his lifespan. He'd have hung around until he could have found a way back - he's Dr. Who, you know.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : I think they'd have perished and he'd have found their skeletons
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : He could have got a lift off Jon Pertwee when he was working at UNIT.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : POMP FACTS: Mme P and Louis became an official couple at a fancy dress ball where he was dressed as... a yew tree. Yes, a yew tree. I wanted him to wear that for this final scene but miserable old @StevenWMoffat wouldn't have it
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Technically Reinette was the only person I killed in the @russelldavies63 era. And in fact she was dead when I started ...
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : On screen, at least
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Look! Rose & Mickey exit via a gangway that ISN'T THERE!! People think we had tons of money, but we could never afford an interior exit and door.
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : The truth about this scene: Rose and Mickey just go and hid behind a pillar.
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : When i first read this, i ruined it for myself. Because, like a good producer, I turned to the last page to see the page length. And glimpsed the name of the spaceship. ARGH.
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : ... but if Reinette had survived, how exactly would the Doctor have explained all this to Rose. Those four on the TARDIS - there's a scene I could write!
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : HOORAY. What a cast, @SophiaMyles, just perfect. And let me say, what an honour to work with @StevenWMoffat. one of the greatest minds of this century, I was lucky enough to get him to write daft old Doctor Who. We were ALL lucky! What a genius, what an imagination.
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Oh, hush, I was practically camping in your garden to get more episodes to write. Those were wonderful days, and the honour was mine.
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : Well, that was rather lovely, after all these years. Happy days, great show, dead French lady. All you ever really need. #Clockdown
- - - - - - - - - -

Versailles is silent now. Madame de Pompadour yearns to see the Doctor's face again...

POMPADOUR - Written by Steven Moffat & featuring Sophia Myles as Madame de Pompadour

Quote@Zilfstar :  Still questions remain: WHY was there a horse on that spaceship? And HOW did it get there??
- - - - - - - - - -
STEVEN MOFFATT : It's explained in the show. PAY ATTENTION!!
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : 13/12 Oops, here's the S2 running order, i forgot...

- - - - - - - - - -
Ian Berriman : I Love The Doctor sounds like a clip show with Emma B pretending that she's always been into the Zarbi. "Giant space ants! Amazing!"
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : I'd have got that on air!
- - - - - - - - - -
Stephen Garvey : What on EARTH is Music of Doom?
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : The Idiot's Lantern!
- - - - - - - - - -
Thirteen_with_a_fez : There was an episode called 'I love the Doctor'??! Why did we never get that??!?!?!
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : It became Love & Monsters
- - - - - - - - - -
Conor : Body Swap sounds interesting, did that later become anything? I'm guessing that Old Friends later became School Reunion by
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : Body Swap = New Earth
- - - - - - - - - -
siq1013 : Is old friends to tooth and claw?
- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : No, Old Friends = School Reunion
- - - - - - - - - -

Mister Six

Replies From View

QuoteRUSSELL T DAVIES : POMP FACTS: Mme P come up with the famous phrase "Après nouse le déluge." After us, the flood. Although you can think about what that means for a long time and never be quite sure. Maybe she knew what the Doctor would meet one day on Mars

There a sense of curiosity and exploration in RTD and Moffat that I miss so much in Chibnall Who.  And it's not about the stories themselves telling us historical facts - it's to do with the wit and intelligence within the writing, and the sense that the writers go deeply into their subjects without needing to state the information at all.

I just can't can't imagine Chibnall ever having little asides to himself in the style of that RTD comment.

Replies From View

QuoteSTEVEN MOFFATT : I remember writing this - God there was so much exposition to get through! But I think I hid it fairly well.

Self-awareness regarding exposition, there.

olliebean

QuoteRUSSELL T DAVIES : POMP FACTS: Mme P come up with the famous phrase "Après nouse le déluge."

Not a patch on that other famous phrase "Quel Dommage, Davros."

mjwilson

olliebean

Quote from: mjwilson on May 07, 2020, 10:50:26 PM
Stop getting catchphrases wrong

It's "quel dommage, Davros"

I think you'll find that's what I said... <slopes off furtively>

Replies From View

daf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tonight's tweeters :
INGRID OLIVER : @ingridoliver100
PETER HARNESS : @mrpeterharness
Combined link : #TruthOrConsequences

daf

Part 1
Quote from: The Zygon InvasionINGRID OLIVER : Cue it up on iPlayer and get your wine/Ribena ready. Watching a double bill of eps 7&8 of Series 9 of Doctor Who in 20 mins time. I'll be tweeting tidbits throughout.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Hello! Am going to tweet along, and maybe include some thoughts from my family, upon whom I am inflicting these episodes once again. My son is 7, my daughter is 9. My wife and I are older. Considerably so, in my case.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Here we go. #truthorconsequences
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Daughter: "Oh my goodness, hi Three Doctors! Hi Osgood!" Hello indeed! This is *technically* a multi-doctor story, and I think it should be renamed "The Four Doctors". Although probably, "The Three Osgoods" would be better.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Daughter: "Those are my favourite Doctors!" (heresy!)
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I don't know if Steven had always had this story in mind, but its was clear that he felt there was unfinished Zygon business from the fiftieth. After "Kill the Moon", I pitched a few different ideas (one featuring the Mara, which I don't remember... the other about a sleeping sickness. But Steven kept teasing me that he was going to pitch a story with an exciting returning monster that he wanted me to do. Of course, I was hoping for the Taran Wood Beast. But at the "Deep Breath" premiere, he dragged me into a dark room full of stacked chairs, and said "Global thriller. Conspiracy! Murder! War! Zygons! Sequel to Day of the. Doctor! OSGOOD LIVES" Or words to that effect.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Filming this was difficult. Had to film one bit sitting next to a lovely Scottish actress doing Osgood dialogue then swap sides/costumes and my dialogue fed to me in an earpiece. There was a LOT going on.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : This opening sequence was one of the last things written. When we had some idea of what was going to happen.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I thought it would be fun to really delve into Osgood's cosplay in this episode. Particularly happy that we got the old question marks later on. I think she was meant to wear the fifth's cricket gear at one point too.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : @ingridoliver100's double (yet another double) runs into a door in Funerteventura, and into a room in Cardiff. And she did that without a TARDIS.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Capaldi and an electric guitar. Swoon.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : PC actually played this live - the version you hear is recorded later and dubbed on, but he actually did a busting version of it on set. This is the first of my "homages" (rip-offs) to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1978)
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Daughter - "This opening is cool!" Thanks!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Here's a photo of me in my own McCoy tank top, just before the premiere of fan fave "Kill The Moon". I think @ingridoliver100 wears it rather more convincingly.

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I used to live near Brockwell Park. It doesn't look a lot like this. The Doctor on the swing also a visual nod to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (Robert Duvall as a priest on a swing is one of the opening images, I think)
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Love it that the Doctor keeps changing his name in this one. All about shifting identities. It's a theme! ‪#metaphor #uphimselfwriter
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : The girls are played by Sasha and Cleopatra Dickens. Two of the finest names ever thought of. And they're brilliantly cute and creepy.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Daughter's questions: "Do the Zygons clone people, like they're exactly the same as somebody else? Are the twins Zygons? Where do they live?" THEY LIVE UNDERNEATH THEIR SCHOOL IN A CAVE OF COURSE! Teachers also live in caves under schools.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Love it that Kate makes a habit of butt-dialling the Doctor.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : "This is just really strange, I can't understand anything." (Everyone's a critic!)
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : CLARA! Daughter says, "I like Clara. She's one of my favourite characters in Doctor Who". I heartily endorse this viewpoint! I think Peter and Jenna are one of the very best combos.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Love Murray Gold's music in this. Subtly riffing on Geoffrey Burgon's beautiful "Terror of the Zygons" music, but still shot through with his own genius. Lovely stuff.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Daniel Nettheim's framing and camera work is subtly floaty and off-kilter - it really adds to a vague sense of unease and unfamiliarity about this world. Top job. He really did wonders.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Around about here, there used to be a scene in which I went continuity mad and tried to make sure that "Dimensions In Time" was put into the Doctor Who canon. (And fired into space.)
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Here's that bit:

‪‪‬‬

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : "hello i am peters daughter i like dr who"
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS :  This scene is brought to you by the words "polyp", "titivate" and "fronds".
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Jemma Redgrave is an absolute legend. Very lucky to still be working with her doing UNIT stories for @bigfinish. If you ever meet her try and make her laugh. It's the best laugh you'll ever hear.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Sorry I'm supposed to be doing the hashtag and I keep forgetting. #truthorconsequences
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : love it that this was the plan all along after Osgood died in "Deep Water". I kept dropping cryptic hints to Ingrid while I was writing this, which must have been deeply annoying.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Electric hairballs! I love those. And I bet they really stink. Like "barbecued dog hair" (thank you, Ghostbusters). And we can make some funny tumbleweed jokes later on.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Whilst playing an ancient game of Trivial Pursuit at Xmas 2014, I was asked this question about #truthorconsequences- This then informed all of my writing on this episode.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Bonnie is really clever here. That's such a Clara thing to do. Memorise Trivial Pursuit questions. Mrs Warboys from "One Foot In The Grave" had a similar strategy for the game.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : The Presidential plane. Script specified that he should board it in the same manner as Nixon did when he left the White House in 1974.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Unit dating plus Harry Sullivan! I love Harry, and strongly disagree with the Doctor whenever s/he calls Harry an imbecile.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : A UNIT gag that never made it in:

THE DOCTOR: Do you have a partner? Boyfriend, or -?

OSGOOD: (shakes head) You kind of give up on dating if you have anything to do with UNIT.

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Daughter horrified by child being dragged into lifts, but has already spotted that Bonnie is Clara. I should have tried harder!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Originally, the Zygons had occupied disused Tube stations, and had a base at Kennington Loop. We went for the "Flatline" tunnels instead cause of budget. But the lift idea is just as cool (thanks, David Davis, ingenious script editor!)
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Here's Bonnie being rude about Scandinavia.

‪‪‬‬

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Madeupistan! And a "Thick Of It" reunion between PC and the amazing Rebecca Front.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I really like this scene. Drone warfare at its most basic. And ‪@JillWinternitz‬ plays it beautifully.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : I found it really interesting that all of the people thirsty for war in this episode were women. Felt different.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : There's Auntie Doris rolling across the ground. RIP Doris.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Originally, Kate came to #truthorconsequences, and after this meeting with Norlander (the Sheriff), she was taken to the Zygon house, which had a spooky cave - a Zygon hatchery - underneath. More on this later.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Norlander has a Mexican flag on her uniform. Don't know whether that fits with her working in New Mexico. Maybe she just loves nachos or something.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : "turn into dogs and run across the desert" - I seem to remember riffing on Zygons being able to turn into other life forms. Other likely candidates were pigeons, caterpillars and talking cabbages.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : If you look closely at the documents that Kate examines, you will see addresses such as "Made Up Crescent" and "10 Fictional Close". Love the way they name their places in New Mexico!
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : ‪@RebeccaFront‬ playing a hardened badass is giving my life. I LOVE the casting of this show ‪@pryorandy
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Controversial scene this (I seem to write those). But I think it's a powerful one, and the question is valid. Could anyone realistically kill someone who looked and sounded exactly like a member of their family? Hitchley clearly can't.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : But in a deleted scene straight after this, Colonel Walsh blasted a Zygon who looked exactly like her son. Bit bleak. Here it is:

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : You may have noticed that Colonel Walsh began life as... BRIGADIER BAMBERA! Yes, "Battlefield" fans, that's right!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : The Zygon village is the same place where Matt Smith's Doctor spent his last thousand years.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I'm having a nervous breakdown just trying to keep up. Will reply to questions later!
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : The scene in front of the church steps with the American soldier is so good. So moving.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Meet the family! ‪#tumbleweed‬ #barbecueddoghair
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : "Everything's just going nuts" - bit of far-sightedness from Jac there. Jaye Griffiths is wonderful. The feeling of existential terror in middle age is one that I am wholly familiar with.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : If the Doctor wears question mark underpants, what IS the question? (Answers on a postcard please)
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : "Makes one wonder what the question is?" I always giggled at that line because it felt a bit saucy in relation to talking about the Doctor's underpants.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS :
                              THE DOCTOR: ...Like a hybrid?

OSGOOD: Yes please, I'd love a hybrid.

(JOKE!)
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : The wonderfully talented and much missed Michael Pickwoad doing brilliant work here with the Zygon cave. A lovely man and gone much too soon.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Daughter: "He looks like a potato head"
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Bad Clara! You can always tell a bad woman because she's wearing red lipstick. [winky-face emoji / lipstick / red lips]
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I love this moment, even if half of you had guessed. Jenna is utterly chilling. She's a really good baddie, isn't she?
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Why is Bonnie called Bonnie? ...Long story. I'll tell you during the break. (It's not because of Bonnie Langford. ...Or maybe it is.) Daughter thinks that Bonnie should be called "Tiara". Because it rhymes with "Clara"
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : "Pinch their benefits" Little bit of politics, there. ‪#subtle
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Here's the original cliffhanger for Kate, when a bunch of Zygon babies come to life around her:

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : : Hey, we need to up the #truthorconsequences hashtag. Some dude called Boris seems to be all over the place.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : It was fantastic to get the chance to write a cliffhanger. I wanted to make it as huge as possible. So I basically killed everyone. I love whacking great cliffhangers. And Jenna can really handle a bazooka.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : To be continued....! Right. See you back here in 15mins. Going to get some wine. X
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : God, me too. The next episode I'm gonna be totes all over the place.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : [crazy nutball-faced grinning emoji]
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : TO BE FURTHERED#truthorconsequences
- - - - - - - - - -

daf

Part 2
Quote from: The Zygon InversionPETER HARNESS : Having survived part 1 am going to open a bottle of wine.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Here's me being the Doctor when I was four.

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I just got attacked by an angry cockerel as I went to get my wine.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : OK. Back to it. Should maybe have had a loo break..
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Right. Part two. Allons-y.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Right. Let's get inverted ‪#truthorconsequences
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Daughter: "Oh, it was just a bad dream. ....OR WAS IT? Clara's got quite a nice bed."
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Always been proud of THIS IS TOOTHPASTE
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Steven was always keen that two-parters do something different in the second part. Although Zygons is a bit more traditional in this respect, all this Clara stuff really adds something new and crazy.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Bizarrely, I scripted the headlines and the picture of a sea horse. Always nice to get a sea horse in. All of this "dream checks" stuff is, of course, a nod to "Last Christmas".
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I really like it that we look as though we chickened out of blowing up the plane, and then we do actually blow up the plane. There were conversations about this.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Brushing up Auntie Doris. RiP Doris.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : The original plan/idea was that the UK should have been more or less completely overtaken by this stage. There were a lot of bizarre illustrations of this in my first draft. All of those indifferent youths - Zygons.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Other early manifestations of Bonnie and co having taken over include:

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : One thing I loved about Hinchcliffe Who is all the "body horror" - wanted to get a bit of that here. Lovely blobby goodness.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : This was my favourite scene to film. A lot of the time the cameras were so far away that it really just felt like Osgood and the Doctor walking along a beach, talking. Mostly you have lots of crew around so you're always aware it's not real.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : "Spy Who Loved Me" parachute! I love The Spy Who Loved Me.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Also, the Doctor and a Union Jack parachute? Now that's the kind of patriotism I can get behind.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : What the hell is in The Doctor's browser history? Answers on a postcard please.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Early drafts featured The Doctor and Osgood climbing the cliffs and finding a church service in progress where the vicar had just turned into a Zygon. These two police officers were in attendance.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Twelve times?! NOT ANY MORE MATE!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I wish I had a live feed to the information in my brain.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Other titles for these episodes were: "The World of the Enemy" (Part 1), and, of course "Truth Or Consequences" (Part 2)
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Love it when she goes past the mirror.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I really like Bonnie. Is that wrong?
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Doctor John Disco. I think I missed it earlier, but he also refers to himself as "Dr Funkenstein". A nod to "The Clones of Doctor Funkenstein", which is not only a brilliant 1976 album by Parliament, but also a very good alternative title for this episode.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Not gonna lie, Osgood felt pretty cool in those sunglasses. [shades-face emoji]
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Zygella. She could also have been Miss Zy-gon. Any other puns I missed?
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Why is Bonnie called Bonnie? Well, her boyfriend Zygon was called Clyde. So she christened herself that as a joke. When Clyde (who strangely, looked like Danny Pink) was killed by Jemima and Claudette, she kept the name. There was a long and involved and partially insane backstory worked out to this one. I can try and remember it later if you like.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Jenna really is amazing as Bonnie and Clara - and at playing both at the same time.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I also share ambivalent feelings about London.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Steven came up with this brilliant idea - the internal lie-detector test.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : The lie-detector test really makes this scene incredibly tense. I know the big speech gets a lot of notice, but I do think this scene is a standout. Jenna is incredible, and doesn't even have anyone to act off. Bravo! ‪#HailJenna
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : There was a whole Osgood speech where she talked about her dead sister that happened in the shopping centre that ended up being cut. I never felt I got it right. Found it hard talking about something very sad and searching for zygons at the same time.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : This scene is really terrific.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Clara kicks ass even when she's in a pod!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Names again. ...For the record, I do definitely think the Doctor is actually called Basil Who.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : The Doctor's side eye game is very strong. ‪#Petronella‬.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Stop asking her that, Doctor! Have some respect!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I really love how @ingridoliver100's character developed over her time on the show. She started off brilliant and became absolutely bloody incredible.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : ‪@NickAsbury‬ played the poor Zygon in the shopping centre. Such a good actor. Playing an alien with such humanity. Made me cry on the day I don't mind telling you.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Jemma Redgrave is really bloody good in this too.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Bleak, sad little scene. But brilliantly done by all concerned, behind and in front of the camera. All praise to Nick Asbury - you really feel for him.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : After spending all of part one being behind the curve, the Doctor now knows exactly what he's doing - and how he's going to do it. Doctor Disco's never dancing on the back foot for long.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : The BLACK ARCHIVE! ...Did you hear that the ravens at the Tower of London have had new chicks?
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Being in that Zygon cave is one of those rare moments in this job when you pinch yourself. That was when I was suddenly like "I'M IN AN EPISODE OF DOCTOR WHO".
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : HA! TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Kate seems a bit too cheerful about that.#FiveRoundsRapid
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : STOP ASKING OSGOOD WHETHER SHE'S HUMAN OR ZYGON!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I think the Doctor should watch this whole memory wipe thing.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : How come the boxes have "Truth" and "Consequences" in them already, when the Doctor couldn't possibly have know that #truthorconsequences would be a thing this time round? Well... I like to think that, having been through all this, he had a rehearsal for the big speech, then nipped back in the TARDIS and doctored the boxes so it all had a pleasing symmetry. Definitely what happened.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : "This is the moment we've all been waiting for..."
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Peter ad-libbed this accent. It wasn't in the script, but I think it's terrific. Hughie Greene.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I'm probably just going to shut up and listen to him now. #truthorconsequences  ...Can think of some other people in the world who should probably do the same thing.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : It was a bit scary to think of resolving this whole action-packed story with a monologue in a room - and it took a lot of writing and re-writing to get it right. Looking through all the drafts and stuff, it was still changing up until the day we shot it.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : There was a bit about beetroot after the bit about violins initially.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : This monologue started out long - and just got longer and longer. I think in the first draft that scene was five pages - you NEVER have scenes that are five pages long! And by the shooting script it was something like ten or eleven.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : You have to give it up for Daniel Nettheim's work here. That's a daunting thing to shoot. And they did continuous takes. But really, not very many, as I remember. It's got that kind of raw, tingling, theatrical energy to it. The thrill of a live performance.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Peter doing this speech was the most extraordinary thing I've ever witnessed. Filmed it 3 times, pages of dialogue, each time he did something different. We were all crying, all of us - Jenna, Jemma & me. Was a nightmare for continuity. Extraordinary writing by
‪‪‪@mrpeterharness‬‬‬.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : As a starry-eyed optimist, I often wonder whether you could talk with some of the baddest people in our world - whether, if you chose the right words, you could reason them round... I think he can just about do it. But he's clearly had multiple goes already...
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I was terrified that such a long monologue would alienate people - terrified about how people would take it . That kind of thing isn't done on TV any more. Felt like a huge risk. ...But thanks to a lot of very clever people, I think it. worked.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Ugh. I tell you, working with Peter sometimes you forget to act you just sort of stand back and go "Bloody hell. That's how it's done."
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : The American Ambassador was on a set visit for this. Apparently, he applauded after Peter had finished. This kind of thing is frowned upon on set. But still very good to hear.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Wife: "Bloody hell, he is amazing, isn't he?"

Yes, he bloody well is. 

I'm so proud of this.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Lovely Steven twist there, which I would never have thought of. They're just boxes.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I love that, after all, this turns out to be a proper companion piece to "The Day of the Doctor".
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : And this is a proper thank-you to Clara for having talked The Doctor down from destroying his own people in "The Day of the Doctor". THANK YOU CLARA!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Bit of a tear in the eye now.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : One of things I like most about this story is that nearly all the characters are women.
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : I SO WANTED TO GO IN THE TARDIS. THE SCRIPT SAID NO BUT MY MIND WAS SCREAMING YES.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : "Totally And Radically Driving In Space" - I pinched this from a lovely bunch of Swedish Doctor Who fans that I spent the afternoon with once.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : You can officially give him a smack if he asks that again, Osgood.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Lovely twist - two Osgoods again - of course, another Steven idea. He knows how to wrap things up, that man! ...Another tear in the eye just now. "I'm a very big fan" (SOBS)
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Nice to see the TARDIS go. Shame these two didn't come along. Bye Bye Osgood! We love you!
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Oh wow. A lot of amazing clever people made that episode. Thank you, all of them. Proud to have been a part of it.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Would love to do a Who again one day.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Now my daughter is watching "Sleep No More". Good for her!
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : And that's it. Thanks so much for re-watching these episodes with us. It's been a huge privilege to be part of this extraordinary show. In these difficult times, I leave you with this video of Osgood and a couple of Zygons just hanging out being pals.

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Thank you so much @Emily_Rosina for this wonderful opportunity. And thanks @ingridoliver100 for being a lovely friend and for doing this. xxx
- - - - - - - - - -
INGRID OLIVER : Seconded. X
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Blimey, though, I feel like I've just been extracted from a pod.
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Okay, I will now endeavour to make my way through comments and timelines and reply to as many of you as poss. It's a weird comedown. Feels like we should all be hitting the pub together.#truthorconsequences
- - - - - - - - - -

THE ZYGON ISOLATION - written by Peter Harness, featuring Ingrid Oliver as Osgood, and Ingrid Oliver as Osgood

Mister Six

Wish he'd said something about whose idea that line about this kind of thing happening 17 times before or whatever was. Hated that line. Made everyone in it - especially The Doctor - look like a total fucking idiot.

daf

Just checked back, and he's posted a few unmade story ideas :

QuotePETER HARNESS : After the Zygons I pitched an origin story for The Meddling Monk called "How The Monk Got His Habit". Ah, that would have been a funny one...
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : I promised I'd dig up some discarded ideas. This is the first page of one that I pitched before Steven asked whether I might care to do the Zygons instead. I still think it's quite good...

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Here's the start of another discarded story for S9, which I think they passed on because it was a bit similar to "Sleep No More". Now it feels a bit too pandemicky

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Okay, last discarded idea - the vague basis for "How The Monk Got His Habit", from an email back in 2015. Sounds completely insane, but it might have been fun. I would have loved to see Matt Berry as The Meddling Monk.

- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : By the way, keep all these discarded ideas under your hat. I might need them if I ever get the call to go back to Who one day...
- - - - - - - - - -
PETER HARNESS : Since some of you seemed to appreciate the discarded Meddling Monk idea, here's the similar discarded first page of a novelisation of it. ‪#HowTheMonkGotHisHabit

Thomas

I was thinking about the Meddling Monk today as I stirred my tea. I like the Monk-Rasputin idea.

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on May 11, 2020, 07:19:17 PM
I was thinking about the Meddling Monk today as I stirred my tea. I like the Monk-Rasputin idea.

I assumed there must be a blend of tea called Monk-Rasputin at first.

As it is, I remain unconvinced.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Malcy on May 12, 2020, 06:12:59 PM
First 2 Time Lord Victorious stories announced.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=first-time-lord-victorious-stories
QuoteThen come the Kotturuh – creatures who spread through the cosmos dispensing mortality.

That's a bad name. Dispensing mortality through a mucusy cough.

Malcy

Malcy

Quote from: Malcy on May 13, 2020, 09:03:32 PM
All the scripts for S12 up on BBC Writers Room.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/tv-drama/doctor-who

Looking at the Timeless Child it's suggested that Rassilon & Omega were in the flashbacks.

Next tweet along is An Adventure In Space & Time with Mark Gatiss & Sacha Dhawan. Saturday 23rd.

daf

I think Fires of Pompeii is on Sunday the 17th before that.

An Adventure In Space & Time should be good - maybe they could bung in the first episode (An Unearthly Child) after it, as a bonus 'pudding'!