Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:19:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat)

Started by Blinder Data, March 03, 2020, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

Don't they just mean that he's no longer going to write anything for the show? Like contribute little mini episodes etc? I know it's misleading anyway as it implies he's still the show runner.

mjwilson

I mean that's what the end of the article says,  but it doesn't match up with anything else they say.

Imagine being Chibnall and seeing that though. "Well I've definitely made my mark as showrunner, I've cast the first woman Doctor and the first black Doctor, killed off the Time Lords again and rewritten the Doctor's history, there's no way everyone will just have forgotten me and think that Moffat's still in charge..."

daf

A few years ago, Big Finish brought Phillip Hichcliffe back to write / produce few Tom Baker stories - basically scratching the 'what if' itch -

That might be a good place for Moffat to drop the occasional story - unlimited budget, no pressure to carry the whole show, just for fun, etc.

Coming at it from a separate angle, I think that'd probably be the only way Big Finish would be able to get either Matt Smith of Peter Capaldi to take part, if Moffat was writing it - both together or neither.

olliebean

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 10, 2020, 10:18:59 AM
PUBLISHED: 14:33, Tue, Jun 9, 2020 | UPDATED: 09:55, Wed, Jun 10, 2020

Yeah might have missed something on that update

Yeah, it's been rewritten now. The original had Steven Moffat as the current show-runner who is quitting now. Got excited when I first saw it as it was about the current show-runner quitting and for half a sentence I thought they meant Chibnall.

Thomas

Quote from: daf on June 10, 2020, 12:49:23 PM
That might be a good place for Moffat to drop the occasional story - unlimited budget, no pressure to carry the whole show, just for fun, etc.

Coming at it from a separate angle, I think that'd probably be the only way Big Finish would be able to get either Matt Smith of Peter Capaldi to take part, if Moffat was writing it - both together or neither.

I'd like to see RTD and Moffat continue to contribute the occasional story until they keel over and regenerate. I remember that tipsy interview where they prevaricate about whether or not they imagine Doctor Who storylines since stepping down. In fact, RTD outright denies it. But how could you not? I do it, and I've never even showrun and executive-produced the show. Any historical landscape is enhanced by the inclusion of a mysterious blue box in the distance.

Even if Sherlock series 4 was a mess - so much so that I almost wonder if I dreamt some of the episodes - and I haven't seen Dracula yet, I think I'll always be interested in what Moffat and RTD create. And if it's more Doctor Who - where they both excelled a lot of the time, and allowed big creative ideas and images to explode - brilliant.

Part of GOOD Doctor Who is its use of big, weird, memorable images. Chibnall has managed one, with the buried TARDIS, though it's anchored to a story I didn't think was much cop. It's essentially a nice screenshot, a striking desktop background. With RTD and Moffat, such images were all over the place - and built into oft-great stories.

I hope I'm not misremembering, but in The Writer's Tale, RTD talks about how much of Bob & Rose sprouted from his vision of two taxis peeling away from each other at a crossroads after a night out. I think we see that philosophy of the striking image in much of his Who.

daf

Quote from: Thomas on June 10, 2020, 05:24:09 PM
I haven't seen Dracula yet, I think I'll always be interested in what Moffat and RTD create.

Oh it's great stuff - and Claes Bang is terrific (as his maginificent name!)

I know episode 3 gets a kicking (so you may want to bail out at that point) - but it's still fun in a '
Spoiler alert
Dracula 1972
[close]
[/b]' sort of way.

Deanjam

Here's some shots of the original version of that Express disaster.

Thomas

I presume they've fired all their reporters and now rely exclusively on Talk to Transformer.

EDIT - Here's what T-to-T really has to say on the matter:

QuoteThe Doctor was trapped on Gallifrey as the Master tried to convince her she was the Timeless Child.

This Doctor however was a special one, The Doctor has always been a man and always had female companions, but Jodie was the first female doctor with a huge diverse group of companions.

Now we know the reason for this, the Doctor and Jodie was stuck together because that was the only way that the TARDIS could travel. The Master wanted to force the Doctor to choose between his past and his future, what would he choose, the new and powerful Daleks or the wonderful Jo as his companion? Would he choose the past or the future? The Doctor would choose the past, which would result in a complete paradox.

And another interesting potential storyline:

QuoteJodie found herself creating the first female TARDIS crew, (much to the shock and delight of the Doctor), for example Susan and Adric. The Doctor and Adric also had a romance whilst off the TARDIS, where the Doctor's eye appeared. Susan didn't like it as it felt like cheating, but the Doctor still insisted Adric come with them, no matter what.

The group went on to be an amazing and successful team.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Thomas on June 10, 2020, 05:24:09 PM
I haven't seen Dracula yet

Watch the first 2 episodes then throw your television into the North Sea.

Replies From View

Mister Six

Quote from: The Roofdog on June 09, 2020, 10:42:15 AM
Eh, I'm never sure about this, it's half the fun with a companion like Leela. "Keep back, Doctor. Blue guards!" But you need a not-shit writer to pull it off, so definitely let's park it for now.

edit: I've just tried to imagine Chibnall's Doctor travelling with Leela, it really would keep stopping for 3 minutes whilst she explains what a kettle is wouldn't it, Christ

The difference is that those serials were extremely slowly paced and went on weeks, also giving the viewer time to mull things over. Modern Who needs to rocket into a situation, explain any techy/lore stuff in a couple of lines of dialogue and press on with the plot. Having a contemporary companion allows for a lot of "It's like a toaster but it eats people" shortcuts.

Mister Six

Quote from: Deanjam on June 10, 2020, 06:19:31 PM
Here's some shots of the original version of that Express disaster.

I'll bet you an editor threw the Moffat quote at some churnalism newbie who knew nothing about Doctor Who and said "Get on with it", and the newbie lacked the experience to actually double-check anything. Then she published it without it having been subbed, and it was only when someone else in the office spotted it later that it got fixed.

That's basically 90 percent of online "journalism" these days.

Leo2112

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 07, 2020, 03:07:14 PM
It's the one where the Doctor decided to enable a genocide.

Really feels that this is one of the Thirteenth Doctor's defining personality traits by now.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Leo2112 on June 11, 2020, 08:59:32 PM
Really feels that this is one of the Thirteenth Doctor's defining personality traits by now.

Recorder, jelly babies, cricket, genocide

daf

Replies From View

I'd like to see Doctor Who visit pre-Columbus America but imagine how racist Chibnall would inadvertently be.

Malcy

Replies From View

It's weird how that speech keeps getting revisited.  Colin Baker once read it out as well on some panel.  The subtext seems to be that it's a well-written speech that was badly performed by Smith, and from the mouth of a different Doctor it somehow becomes magnificent.

But it's not a good speech.  And Colin Baker didn't magically make it sound better; he made it sound as if the Doctor was suddenly too fat and rubbish to read properly.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on June 13, 2020, 05:02:20 PM
It's weird how that speech keeps getting revisited.  Colin Baker once read it out as well on some panel.  The subtext seems to be that it's a well-written speech that was badly performed by Smith, and from the mouth of a different Doctor it somehow becomes magnificent.

But it's not a good speech.  And Colin Baker didn't magically make it sound better; he made it sound as if the Doctor was suddenly too fat and rubbish to read properly.

Think McGann & McCoy have read it as well. I don't really see the appeal of it.

Replies From View

Also the music accompanying it is catastrophic dirge from Murray Gold on autopilot.  One of those times when the script called for "rousing music" and hung its entire worth on it.  Orange Organics level mismatch between script and screen.

And who the hell is that woman standing centre-stage and looking so pleased with herself as she karaokes her way through it?  Are we meant to know?  Or is it just a narcissistic youtuber doing her thing?

Genuinely confused and concerned about the state of entertainment at the moment, lockdown or no lockdown.

Thomas

Quote from: Replies From View on June 13, 2020, 05:02:20 PM

I don't think that's the case - old Doctors are often asked to read monologues and speeches at these conventions. I think it's just the novelty of hearing another Doctor perform them.

A4 sheets of paper with Capaldi's 'war' diatribe or Smith's Pandorica speech were regularly thrust into the hands of a mildly confused John Hurt.

Malcy

Quote from: Thomas on June 14, 2020, 11:36:14 AM
I don't think that's the case - old Doctors are often asked to read monologues and speeches at these conventions. I think it's just the novelty of hearing another Doctor perform them.

A4 sheets of paper with Capaldi's 'war' diatribe or Smith's Pandorica speech were regularly thrust into the hands of a mildly confused John Hurt.

I can't remember who it was but one I watched had a look if "oh for fuck sake, again"? on their face when asked to do a speech.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on June 14, 2020, 11:53:30 AM
I can't remember who it was but one I watched had a look if "oh for fuck sake, again"? on their face when asked to do a speech.

I love the idea that these actors should be granted the freedom to live their lives unharassed by script-wielding Doctor Who fans.  Fraid not mate!!  If you don't want to sleep in your own bed then maybe you shouldn't make it!

Kelvin

Capaldi's Zygon war speech is even more badly performed than the Akhaten one. They're both weirdly lowpoints for Smith and Capaldi, despite being contrived as showcases.

I know what you mean about that war speech. Doesn't help that the Zygon Invasion/Inversion eps are boring and messy allegories for immigration/terrorism that end up feeling misguided at best.

It's Capaldi's kindness speech in The Doctor Falls that's the absolute belter.

Malcy

Quote from: Kelvin on June 14, 2020, 03:36:01 PM
Capaldi's Zygon war speech is even more badly performed than the Akhaten one. They're both weirdly lowpoints for Smith and Capaldi, despite being contrived as showcases.

The day after it aired loads if people were banging on about it. I was so bored by that point that I couldn't really remember him doing a big speech.

I thought Capaldi was a great Doctor but I often thought he looked a bit bored with what he got.

pigamus

I've never got the love for that Zygon speech either. There was a thing Frank Skinner was on with Zoe Ball and he was in tears talking about it!

Kelvin

Malcy