Author Topic: Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat)  (Read 40071 times)

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
The former, but also because Covid has delayed everything yet again, so the end feels (and is) too far away to be worth speculating about.

Hopefully the Beeb's having a sniff about for a replacement.

Ambient Sheep

• Please help me, I'm lost. I don't know what to do.
Who the hell else would want to work with Chibbers?

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
I meant a replacement for Chibbers.

Ambient Sheep

• Please help me, I'm lost. I don't know what to do.
Ah, sorry.  The initial post was about Jodie rather than Chris.  Agree about CoViD holding things up though.  But after that... can you imagine it?

Wanted: actor wiling to take the Colin Baker type role for the new series.

As for the showrunner... fuck knows.  They must really be stuck for ideas.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
Maybe it'll be easier now? Following Chibnall must seem like a slam-dunk compared to having to follow up RTD or Moffat.

TwinPeaks

• didn't choose a very distinctive username did i
Peter Harness is basically the only candidate left. He'd be a hell of a lot more interesting than Chibnall

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
Maybe it'll be easier now? Following Chibnall must seem like a slam-dunk compared to having to follow up RTD or Moffat.

Yeah except they’ll be inheriting ashes at this rate.

All this Timeless Child bollocks and infinite pre-Hartnell Doctors has sucked the joy out of the show.

The workload probably isn't as intense seeing as they're basically doing 10 episodes over a year and a half so maybe she'll be happy to stay on for a bit longer than the usual 3 series. Still doesn't really feel like we've got to know this Doctor that much either.

It's probably a big conclusion I'm jumping to here but I reckon the Beeb is not that bothered with Who anymore so it's probably a bloody nightmare to be showrunner and no one wants to take that role. Chibnall was basically the best they could get.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:04:52 AM by lipsink »

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
Again, I reckon a big part of that is the fear of following Moffat. I know a lot of fans moaned about him, but they're fucking idiots - he's a genuinely brilliant writer.

Yeah except they%u2019ll be inheriting ashes at this rate.

All this Timeless Child bollocks and infinite pre-Hartnell Doctors has sucked the joy out of the show.

I dunno, handwave it away (it was a cunning scam to drive The Doctor mad or something) or just ignore it. It's not like Doctor Who has ever had the most tightly written continuity.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
I dunno, handwave it away (it was a cunning scam to drive The Doctor mad or something) or just ignore it. It's not like Doctor Who has ever had the most tightly written continuity.

It depends how much Chibnall cements it at this point.  If he never returns to it then fine, but he has at least one more series and I don't believe he has the self-restraint or intelligence to leave the Timeless Child shit hanging there.  I get the sense that he thinks it's his job to replace every unknown, ambiguous or contradictory aspect of Doctor Who history with clunky exposition.

Still doesn't really feel like we've got to know this Doctor that much either.

I'd be willing to bet we could have five more series with this Doctor with no measurable improvement in this area.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
It depends how much Chibnall cements it at this point.  If he never returns to it then fine, but he has at least one more series and I don't believe he has the self-restraint or intelligence to leave the Timeless Child shit hanging there.  I get the sense that he thinks it's his job to replace every unknown, ambiguous or contradictory aspect of Doctor Who history with clunky exposition.
Let's have an entire episode where the Doctor stands around like a lemon while a fucken Kroton or something tells her why it was Dals in The Daleks but Kaleds in Genesis of the Daleks.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
Let's have an entire episode where the Doctor stands around like a lemon while a fucken Kroton or something tells her why it was Dals in The Daleks but Kaleds in Genesis of the Daleks.

You joke but that is basically Chibnall's level, yeah.

I won't be surprised if that actually is the upcoming Christmas / New Year special.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
Addictive tile based regeneration game. Read that barely anyone has managed to complete it. I got 736 on my first go.

You use the arrow keys or swipe the tiles in directions to put two the same together then they regenerate into a tile featuring the next Doctor in the cycle (no pre-Hartnells luckily).

www.doctorwho.tv/games/thirteen

Replies From View

• Golden Member
3156 on my first go.  I got pretty bored with it though and eventually I was just wanting it to finish so stopped trying.  I got as far as McGann, and at game over I also had a McCoy, a Colin Baker and two Peter Davisons spaced around.  If I'd paid more attention towards the end I could probably have fused those together and reached Eccleston but blimey it does get tedious doesn't it.

Thanks for sharing it though.  Always nice when Doctor Who gets a new free computer game of whatever kind.

Bingo Fury

• Only qualified to work on sailors
It's a Doctor Who-themed version of an old game called 2048. I was addicted to an earlier version (the pics weren't as nice as these) of this for several months, and eventually bagged a high score of 75,128. With the spurious explanation that the "Blinovich limitation effect" is forcing the Doctors into their next regeneration when they meet, it lends itself to Doctor Who very well, but there are millions of themed variants around.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
I think the choice of photo of the first Doctor is a bit odd.  Seems like a costume fitting, sans wig.

Edit:  actually, looking a bit closer it is fine.

Malcy

• Twitter

Thanks for sharing it though.  Always nice when Doctor Who gets a new free computer game of whatever kind.
I got as far as McGann and gave up. Got a score of nearly 3000 by just pressing Up, Left, Down, Right. I just got annoyed after a while. McGann glows for a bit as well.

There's been plenty of Who games in the past but nothing that stands out as really good. I have Destiny Of The Doctors on my HD but it won't start without the disc. I remember that being alright. Have one on my iPad but it's quite repetitive.

Still have the installers for those Adventure Games. Might give them another go.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
I remember a Dalek flash game about 15 years ago which I thought was alright.

Malcy

• Twitter
I remember a Dalek flash game about 15 years ago which I thought was alright.

Think I have that as well. Seem to remember it being good.

The isometric perspective one where you played the escaped Dalek from 'Dalek'? Yeah, that was pretty good. Reminded me of Costa Panayi's ZX Spectrum game 'Highway Encounter' (where you also controlled a very Dalek-y robot).

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
There was one on the BBC website when the show returned in 2005 where you ran around a shit pencil maze drawn by the girl out of 'Fear Her' while 'Kookaburra' by Barney the Purple Dinosaur played on a loop. That's the closest I've ever felt to being Doctor Who.

The Roofdog

• you look and are as fat as meat ball
Christ, they made an entire website for each episode in those days didn't they. Remember effort?

Tags: