Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat)

Started by Blinder Data, March 03, 2020, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

The former, but also because Covid has delayed everything yet again, so the end feels (and is) too far away to be worth speculating about.

Hopefully the Beeb's having a sniff about for a replacement.

Mister Six

Ambient Sheep

Ah, sorry.  The initial post was about Jodie rather than Chris.  Agree about CoViD holding things up though.  But after that... can you imagine it?

Wanted: actor wiling to take the Colin Baker type role for the new series.

As for the showrunner... fuck knows.  They must really be stuck for ideas.

Mister Six

Maybe it'll be easier now? Following Chibnall must seem like a slam-dunk compared to having to follow up RTD or Moffat.

VelourSpirit

Peter Harness is basically the only candidate left. He'd be a hell of a lot more interesting than Chibnall

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on June 28, 2020, 04:15:14 AM
Maybe it'll be easier now? Following Chibnall must seem like a slam-dunk compared to having to follow up RTD or Moffat.

Yeah except they'll be inheriting ashes at this rate.

All this Timeless Child bollocks and infinite pre-Hartnell Doctors has sucked the joy out of the show.

lipsink

The workload probably isn't as intense seeing as they're basically doing 10 episodes over a year and a half so maybe she'll be happy to stay on for a bit longer than the usual 3 series. Still doesn't really feel like we've got to know this Doctor that much either.

It's probably a big conclusion I'm jumping to here but I reckon the Beeb is not that bothered with Who anymore so it's probably a bloody nightmare to be showrunner and no one wants to take that role. Chibnall was basically the best they could get.

Mister Six

Again, I reckon a big part of that is the fear of following Moffat. I know a lot of fans moaned about him, but they're fucking idiots - he's a genuinely brilliant writer.

Quote from: Replies From View on June 28, 2020, 09:29:58 AM
Yeah except they%u2019ll be inheriting ashes at this rate.

All this Timeless Child bollocks and infinite pre-Hartnell Doctors has sucked the joy out of the show.

I dunno, handwave it away (it was a cunning scam to drive The Doctor mad or something) or just ignore it. It's not like Doctor Who has ever had the most tightly written continuity.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on June 28, 2020, 02:00:13 PM
I dunno, handwave it away (it was a cunning scam to drive The Doctor mad or something) or just ignore it. It's not like Doctor Who has ever had the most tightly written continuity.

It depends how much Chibnall cements it at this point.  If he never returns to it then fine, but he has at least one more series and I don't believe he has the self-restraint or intelligence to leave the Timeless Child shit hanging there.  I get the sense that he thinks it's his job to replace every unknown, ambiguous or contradictory aspect of Doctor Who history with clunky exposition.

Quote from: lipsink on June 28, 2020, 09:51:33 AM
Still doesn't really feel like we've got to know this Doctor that much either.

I'd be willing to bet we could have five more series with this Doctor with no measurable improvement in this area.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Replies From View on June 28, 2020, 02:13:09 PM
It depends how much Chibnall cements it at this point.  If he never returns to it then fine, but he has at least one more series and I don't believe he has the self-restraint or intelligence to leave the Timeless Child shit hanging there.  I get the sense that he thinks it's his job to replace every unknown, ambiguous or contradictory aspect of Doctor Who history with clunky exposition.
Let's have an entire episode where the Doctor stands around like a lemon while a fucken Kroton or something tells her why it was Dals in The Daleks but Kaleds in Genesis of the Daleks.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 29, 2020, 08:57:36 AM
Let's have an entire episode where the Doctor stands around like a lemon while a fucken Kroton or something tells her why it was Dals in The Daleks but Kaleds in Genesis of the Daleks.

You joke but that is basically Chibnall's level, yeah.

Mango Chimes

I won't be surprised if that actually is the upcoming Christmas / New Year special.

Malcy

Addictive tile based regeneration game. Read that barely anyone has managed to complete it. I got 736 on my first go.

You use the arrow keys or swipe the tiles in directions to put two the same together then they regenerate into a tile featuring the next Doctor in the cycle (no pre-Hartnells luckily).

www.doctorwho.tv/games/thirteen

Replies From View

3156 on my first go.  I got pretty bored with it though and eventually I was just wanting it to finish so stopped trying.  I got as far as McGann, and at game over I also had a McCoy, a Colin Baker and two Peter Davisons spaced around.  If I'd paid more attention towards the end I could probably have fused those together and reached Eccleston but blimey it does get tedious doesn't it.

Thanks for sharing it though.  Always nice when Doctor Who gets a new free computer game of whatever kind.

Bingo Fury

It's a Doctor Who-themed version of an old game called 2048. I was addicted to an earlier version (the pics weren't as nice as these) of this for several months, and eventually bagged a high score of 75,128. With the spurious explanation that the "Blinovich limitation effect" is forcing the Doctors into their next regeneration when they meet, it lends itself to Doctor Who very well, but there are millions of themed variants around.

Replies From View

I think the choice of photo of the first Doctor is a bit odd.  Seems like a costume fitting, sans wig.

Edit:  actually, looking a bit closer it is fine.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on June 30, 2020, 03:18:51 PM

Thanks for sharing it though.  Always nice when Doctor Who gets a new free computer game of whatever kind.
I got as far as McGann and gave up. Got a score of nearly 3000 by just pressing Up, Left, Down, Right. I just got annoyed after a while. McGann glows for a bit as well.

There's been plenty of Who games in the past but nothing that stands out as really good. I have Destiny Of The Doctors on my HD but it won't start without the disc. I remember that being alright. Have one on my iPad but it's quite repetitive.

Still have the installers for those Adventure Games. Might give them another go.

Replies From View

I remember a Dalek flash game about 15 years ago which I thought was alright.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on June 30, 2020, 04:29:00 PM
I remember a Dalek flash game about 15 years ago which I thought was alright.

Think I have that as well. Seem to remember it being good.

Norton Canes

The isometric perspective one where you played the escaped Dalek from 'Dalek'? Yeah, that was pretty good. Reminded me of Costa Panayi's ZX Spectrum game 'Highway Encounter' (where you also controlled a very Dalek-y robot).

BritishHobo

There was one on the BBC website when the show returned in 2005 where you ran around a shit pencil maze drawn by the girl out of 'Fear Her' while 'Kookaburra' by Barney the Purple Dinosaur played on a loop. That's the closest I've ever felt to being Doctor Who.

The Roofdog

Christ, they made an entire website for each episode in those days didn't they. Remember effort?

Tombola

Quote from: Malcy on June 30, 2020, 02:18:47 PM
Addictive tile based regeneration game. Read that barely anyone has managed to complete it. I got 736 on my first go.

You use the arrow keys or swipe the tiles in directions to put two the same together then they regenerate into a tile featuring the next Doctor in the cycle (no pre-Hartnells luckily).

www.doctorwho.tv/games/thirteen

YES! GOT AN ECCLESTON! I've been playing this everyday for 2 weeks. This is the most excited I've been about Doctor Who for about 3 years.

Getting to McGann was straightforward enough, it's getting 2 bloody War Doctors to trigger the "Blinovich limitation effect" that has consumed me for so long. This was a fluke, never getting a second Eccleston, can stop now.

Malcy

Norton Canes

An 0bvious thing that just struck me - I'm surprised Chibnall didn't rename the Cybermen to something gender-neutral like 'Cyberkind'.

kidsick5000

Got as far as Smith before getting bored. Much like with the series, eh???

You can see why the author(s?) of the original 2048 settled on 2048 as the logical end point. Jodie is 8192 and nobody's got the patience for that.

Replies From View

There's definitely something wrong with Hartnell's hair at first glance.  I think it's the light.

Deanjam