Author Topic: Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat)  (Read 86900 times)

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
Main cast changes revealed here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55128939

It's nothing we hadn't already guessed, but why the hell didn't they try and keep a lid on it for just one more month? Fucks sake.

Also the article ends with this.

"We've crammed this year's Doctor Who festive special with an explosion of extraordinary acting talent," executive producer Chris Chibnall said.

And then made them read out a load of amateur-hour shit Big Finish would reject without a second glance.

Ambient Sheep

• I owe lots of people PMs, sorry. Hopefully soon...
Well I'm not reading that, so I still don't know. :)

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
The thing is, the natural instinct is to read that spoiler and think, "Oh that's good - having a team that's just Doc/Yaz (or even Doc/Yaz/Jack) will allow for more focus on Yaz and development of her character," but then you remember that whatever deckchairs get shunted about, it's still Chibnall at the helm of this Titanic, and he'll piss away every opportunity he might have to improve things.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
They have their fistbumps now.  They don’t need the Doctor.

Edit:  spoiler tags
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:43:44 AM by Replies From View »

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
RFV, that's a spoiler, and Amby has just said he's trying to avoid them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:36:21 AM by Kelvin »

daf

• Napoleon's Penis is in private hands
Ceefax also let the c. out of the b. this morning, the dozy twats!

Replies From View

• Golden Member
RFV, that's a spoiler, and Amby has just said he's trying to avoid them.

Sorry I kind of thought it was obscure enough for it not to count as one.  Spoiler tags now added.

Although Chibnall is the one doing the true spoiling I am sure we all agree!!!

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
Ceefax also let the c. out of the b. this morning, the dozy twats!

Christ, is Ceefax still going?!

Christ, is Ceefax still going?!

Ceefax said the same thing about Chibnall.

daf

• Napoleon's Penis is in private hands
Sort of - it's called 'the red button' these days, but it's pretty much the same.

(it was meant to go off the telly and online-only back in April, but they scrapped that - as it turned out the only people using it were old codgers like me, who don't have their TV hooked up to the internet!)

I don't know if it's been confirmed here yet, but special definitely not on Christmas day. Just look at this shower of shite.

The Roofdog

• you look and are as fat as meat ball
Yeah it's 1845 New Years Day

Quite embarrassing that Who can't get a Christmas Day slot amongst that pish

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
It's been a New Year's Day 'staple' since 1st January 2019. That's Chibnall's major contribution to the series, shunting the festive special from Christmas Day to New Year's Day. A mark of the man's uncompromising vision.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
That was dickish of him.  Moffat came up with Twice Upon A Time specifically to keep the Christmas Day slot so that it would still be available when Chibnall took over.  Capaldi would have regenerated at the end of series 10 otherwise.  This is undoubtedly why all the business with him refusing to regenerate feels like such a tenuous afterthought.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
(Not that I resent having an additional Capaldi episode, and it was smart of Moffat to take us from Tenth Planet Cybermen to Tenth Planet First Doctor so seamlessly.)

The Roofdog

• you look and are as fat as meat ball
I'm not even counting last year as a New Years or any kind of Special, he just moved the start of the series back so he didn't have to fucking make one.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
Yeah that was a swizz

notjosh

• Golden Member
This is actually one thing I'm happy to credit Chibnall for. Moving the special to New Year's Day means I can watch it nice and quietly on my own instead of with my family feeling anxious that it's going to be another shit one.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
This is true - now you no longer have any doubt about whether it will be a shit one.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
Yeah, it's a double-edged sword. It's been a decade of struggling to hear Moffat's fun, breakneck dialogue over the couldn't-give-a-shit chatter of everyone else in the room, missing crucial plot points and jokes - and now we're left alone to experience every flat word of these completely undisturbed.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
I hope Chibnall knows that he is shit and feels really bad about it.  There’s no excuse.

Lungpuddle

• I am no longer a jazz band
Well, I'm excited at least. I really like Early Man.

I hope Chibnall knows that he is shit and feels really bad about it.  There’s no excuse.

Dunning–Kruger effect.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
Dunning–Kruger effect.

“They don't like it up 'em!”  “You Are All My Children Now.”

Replies From View

• Golden Member
Oh sorry that’s the Dunn-Krueger effect!!!!

explaining the joke there

Saw some more pics online of Jodie looking sad in her space cell and it got me pondering.

Maybe it's more noticeable because it's the first female Doctor, but Chibnall really seems intent on taking away a lot of the character's agency. I didn't fully agree with Davies and Moffat's 'Oncoming Storm/Lonely Sexy God' approach but at least those Doctors were kind and got stuff done. Doctor 13 feels so deliberately passive that it's becoming hard to root for her.

I'm sure the aim was to make the companions feel more integral and show that different people working together is what will save the future, but as ever with Chibnall's stuff he cannot make this stuff work. Even his good ideas turn to shit once he's finished with them.

robotam

• 0-1-1-0-1-fun!!
I thought having the Doctor who Christmas special be based around a prison break wasn't a bad idea. Sort of an allusion to that idea that we all watch The Great Escape on Christmas.

Disappointed in Chibbers but I guess it's really a "fool me x times, shame on him. Fool me x+1 times, shame on me" situation.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
Saw some more pics online of Jodie looking sad in her space cell and it got me pondering.

Maybe it's more noticeable because it's the first female Doctor, but Chibnall really seems intent on taking away a lot of the character's agency. I didn't fully agree with Davies and Moffat's 'Oncoming Storm/Lonely Sexy God' approach but at least those Doctors were kind and got stuff done. Doctor 13 feels so deliberately passive that it's becoming hard to root for her.

I'm sure the aim was to make the companions feel more integral and show that different people working together is what will save the future, but as ever with Chibnall's stuff he cannot make this stuff work. Even his good ideas turn to shit once he's finished with them.

I think that Chibnall has been trying to evoke the Davison era, with a Doctor somewhat overloaded by companions and being, at times, somewhat helpless to change a lot of things in various stories.  There is precedent but Davison’s Doctor also had a character, which Chibnall is unable to actually inject into his Guy Fawkes puppets.

The fact that this is the first female Doctor is very unfortunate.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
Has anyone encountered anyone praising Chibnall’s writing and showrunning since he took over Doctor Who?  Either on the internet or real life?

I’m trying to imagine someone reading this thread and finding it disagreeable, but I can’t really manage.  I just picture them thinking “well, he’s not that bad really” until they read something like “Chibnall is an objectively shit human being who should have been aborted” and their face does a kind of “yeah, fair enough” shrug.

Do you think they'll make Captain Jack a regular companion what with the other 2 leaving?

Tags: