Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:18:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Zombies

Started by bgmnts, March 04, 2020, 01:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 23, 2020, 05:40:29 PM
I think I would have watched that back in the day. It's excellently done.

5m 05s genuine LOL there.

It is indeed, I think an extract of the Tom Savini stuff is in the film proper.

There is also an apocalpytic log of the gun store owner's descent into madness and eventual death. Again, quite well done. DVDs spoilt us a bit to be fair.

DoesNotFollow

Recent events have got me hankering to re-watch The Crazies.
I bloody love zombies of the strict, flesh-eating kind but I think this might be Romero's best film for my tastes, and does share many of the same tropes. There's something immediately bleak about The Crazies, with little room to live out a apocalyptic zombie fantasy ala Day of the Dead, as grim and doom-laden as that film is.

Romero really excelled at the naturalistic, 'organised chaos' to set the atmosphere and show events and characters peripheral to the main plot; those scenes with bands of country folk and army/national guardsmen out zombie hunting near the start of Dawn for example. The Crazies has that in spades, but it all seems less fun than wearing lots of plaid and taking potshots at the undead does.

Bazooka

The Crazies sets such a good tone, been over a decade since I've seen it.

magval

Thanks to this thread been on a wee zombie bender recently. Many thanks for recommending One Cut of the Dead - probably one of the most enjoyable movies I've ever seen.

Also decided I'd give Snyder's Dawn of the Dead another go, it's been years since I seem to remember deciding I hated it. It's much better than I remember but the extended cut has so much superfluous gun-related slow motion. Cunt can't help himself.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is this, because I can't find any information on it online - when I saw this in the cinema, I'm convinced they enter the mall through the front door by the fountain, but ever since (on DVD then BD), and in what's labelled the 'extended cut', they come in through the back and make their way to the fountain through a shop.

Did I imagine the theatrical cut having a scene where they enter through the front? CJ keeps making reference to them making a mess in Metropolis in the version I just watched but the shop they make the mess in is clearly called something else. Continuity error because of the alternate versions perhaps?

Anyone remember back to seeing this in the picture houses?

druss

Also watched Dawn of the Dead (2004) recently, what you says does sound familiar but it's honestly been too long since I originally saw it so could be Mandella effect.

Just like to add to the voice of not understanding the fuss about Dawn of the Dead (1978). I was 19 when Dawn of the Dead (2004) came out and watched the old version right after because apparently it was "way better". I've seen scarier fancy dress zombies on Halloween.

Rewatched 28 Days Later recently as it's always fun to watch apocalyptic films when the world is going to shit. Unlike others here I thought it stood up really well, I'm not an expert on the genre so forgive me if it was done way before this but it reminded me of the stuff TWD does where the zombies are always a threat but the bigger cunts are the humans who are still alive.

The young girl was the WORST actress I have ever seen in a major film though. The only slightly convincing scene was where she was meant to be zonked out on a fuck ton of valium. Unless she was supposed to have been popping them on the sly throughout the film?

magval

Deadly, I watched that last night as well. Astounded by how bad she is in that film.

Jim saying "thanks Da" to Gleeson when he wakes him up out of his nightmare is just lovely, a really neat wee film. The last third especially is just wonderful.

Kryton

Quote from: magval on April 15, 2020, 03:20:22 PM

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is this, because I can't find any information on it online - when I saw this in the cinema, I'm convinced they enter the mall through the front door by the fountain, but ever since (on DVD then BD), and in what's labelled the 'extended cut', they come in through the back and make their way to the fountain through a shop.

Defo through a side door then through the shop. I think they throw a toilet through the window?

Kryton

The most infuriating scene in the new Dawn film was the main guy swapping his trusty crowbar for a shitty, flimsy sports mallet.

bgmnts

Yeah but then it splinters and he stake it through his head and ite fucking awesome.

Kryton

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 23, 2020, 05:38:41 PM
I think Ecclestone's character is one of the better 'bad guys' in a modern film. He's got a proper motivation, he's charismatic, he clearly cares about his boys. There's enough in that last section even if it's not as immediate as the first half.

Although why the soldiers hide and wait at the checkpoint until the clearly not infected group that have just arrived in a Taxi gets at least one person infected is totally beyond me ...

Agreed with Ecclestone being really good.

As for the checkpoint bit? Why not, they're probably scoping out these guys, to see if they're carrying weapons or whatever. When the alpha male gets himself infected, they act quickly 'to save the day'. Kill the most likely biggest problem and then let them settle in under the pretence of being the good guys.

Kryton

Quote from: bgmnts on April 26, 2020, 10:32:51 PM
Yeah but then it splinters and he stake it through his head and ite fucking awesome.

True but he could have just cunted it in the first place with the crowbar.

--

Also Tom Savini's NOTLD has a great fake-out at the beginning, for anyone who has seen the original. The original zombie in the first version, just so happens to be a really confused and injured bloke in the remake. Then the zombie appears. Great little touch.

Small Man Big Horse

Seoul Station (2016) - Animated South Korean horror film and prequel to Train To Busan, a relentlessly brutal horror film I liked a good deal, this is a much bleaker affair with it throwing in a fair amount of social commentary as the homeless of the city are under siege at the very beginning of an outbreak, and a sex worker and her father and her shitty pimp cunt of a boyfriend attempt to escape the misery,
Spoiler alert
and is often the case in this sort of thing the police and the military are also monsters
[close]
. It's at times quite gripping, the story was involving, and
Spoiler alert
boy is that one bleak fuck of an
[close]
ending, but problematically I didn't find the design of the zombies to be that scary, and sometimes the opposite applied and the way they looked caused me to smirk, so due to that it only gets 7.2/10.

purlieu

Train to Busan 2: Peninsula is being released in August. I'm rather looking forward to it.

kalowski

Love Night of the Living Dead, but not that shitty zombies version with the crap preacher tacked on at the start.

I also love Dawn of the Dead but hate the "Real brothers, or soul brothers?" line.

Egyptian Feast

I got that version of NOTLD in a box set years ago without hearing anything about it and was quite stunned at what had been done to it. If only I'd read Harry Knowles' review beforehand, I'd have been aware that it is apparently worse than watching the melted jewellery being pulled from your burnt mother's corpse and I would've probably shopped around. I'm kinda worried I might be a complete sociopath because I had a right giggle at the new footage and how poorly it was integrated with the original movie.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: purlieu on June 21, 2020, 11:48:05 AM
Train to Busan 2: Peninsula is being released in August. I'm rather looking forward to it.

Likewise, and it's why I finally got around to watching the bleakness that is Seoul Station.

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 21, 2020, 01:18:33 PM
I got that version of NOTLD in a box set years ago without hearing anything about it and was quite stunned at what had been done to it. If only I'd read Harry Knowles' review beforehand, I'd have been aware that it is apparently worse than watching the melted jewellery being pulled from your burnt mother's corpse and I would've probably shopped around. I'm kinda worried I might be a complete sociopath because I had a right giggle at the new footage and how poorly it was integrated with the original movie.

Wow, I'd never heard of the 30th anniversary edition but the review makes it sound beyond awful, yet I'm strangely tempted to seek it out now!

kalowski

Oh it's bad. So, so bad

Egyptian Feast

It is truly dreadful. I'd forgotten they'd removed a load of stuff as well as adding appalling new footage, as if the film hadn't suffered enough. I know it was a way for the creators to make some money out of it, like when they did the colourised version (the only version I could find on video in the 90s), but at least with that you could adjust your settings and watch it in black and white. I would only recommend watching it if you were unfortunate enough to have an upcoming meeting with Harry Knowles and wanted to annoy him for a laugh by arguing it was an improvement on the original, but even then you'd have enough details to make your case by rereading his review and noting the things that pissed him off the most.

magval

Lads there's tarble confusion in this thread. The NOTLD that was done to earn some money wasn't colourised, it was completely remade, Savini directed it. The colourised prints of the 68 film are just as illegitimate as the vast majority of other home video releases.

And Francine asks "real brothers or street brothers"? What the fuck is a soul brother?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: magval on June 22, 2020, 04:16:24 PM
Lads there's tarble confusion in this thread. The NOTLD that was done to earn some money wasn't colourised, it was completely remade, Savini directed it. The colourised prints of the 68 film are just as illegitimate as the vast majority of other home video releases.

Ahh, fair enough. I still haven't seen the remake, but I hear it's OK.

magval

It is actually, it helps that it was officially sanctioned and so many of the original crew were involved. Horrible score though. It's on the Horror channel all the time, and last time I looked it was on Prime as well.

kalowski

And Francine asks "real brothers or street brothers"? What the fuck is a soul brother?
Same as a street brother

Emma Raducanu

Saw One cut of the dead last night. After the first 30 minutes, despite sort of enjoying it, I really couldn't see where the rest of the run time was going to take us. I contemplated turning off, just to listen to some music instead. It just felt slightly alien to me and I wasn't sure I was in the mood.

I kept watching anyway and it just turned into the most incredibly fun film, incredibly well put together.

magval

I loved it to bits, thanks to this thread for pointing me to it. Everyone else, watch it too.

Artie Fufkin

Pontypool - 2008

I put this in the Horror Film thread as well.

Apologies if this has already been done. I watched this last night, and absolutely loved it. The first 10 minutes I thought it was going to be crap, but no. It was a brilliant little quirky take on the zombie genre. Apparently this is also a radio play in the stlye of Orson Welles' War Of The Worlds. I'm gonna try and find that.
It's filmed in an odd aspect, I thought. I presume this is deliberate.
If any one can explain to me the after credits bit, that would be most appreciated.

Kryton

Not sure if I'm missing the point, but there's a colourised version of the original NOTLD and a remake (the Savini one). I had both in my collection at one point. What do you mean it was illegitimate?

Also the Savini one isn't too bad, but the colourised version is awful. 

greenman

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 05, 2020, 10:31:21 AM
My favourite Fulci film is probably The Beyond (the middle part of his Gates of Hell trilogy). Some absolutely demented zombie shit in that one. Also has one of the best endings of any horror film.

I'm not sure I'd call that or City of the Living Dead zombie films though(haven't seen House by the Cemetery), after Zombie Flesh Eaters it seems more like he was making horror fantasy that happened to have some zombie like creatures in it at points. I spose the bit in the hospital at the end is a bit of your classical zombie chase but even there is seems more like a creeping sense of dread.

magval

Quote from: Kryton on June 23, 2020, 01:20:10 PM
Not sure if I'm missing the point, but there's a colourised version of the original NOTLD and a remake (the Savini one). I had both in my collection at one point. What do you mean it was illegitimate?

Also the Savini one isn't too bad, but the colourised version is awful.

The one Harry Knowles had the issue with was actually the 30th anniversary edition, with the extra scenes and new music. My mistake.

When I say illegitimate, I mean that anyone can legally release Night of the Living Dead and do whatever they want to it, which is why there are so many crap DVDs, colourised versions and even great versions available.

Kryton

Quote from: magval on June 24, 2020, 03:56:15 PM
The one Harry Knowles had the issue with was actually the 30th anniversary edition, with the extra scenes and new music. My mistake.

When I say illegitimate, I mean that anyone can legally release Night of the Living Dead and do whatever they want to it, which is why there are so many crap DVDs, colourised versions and even great versions available.

Aaah okay that makes sense , thanks.

When you say 'Great' versions, what do you mean specifically?

magval

Network's version has the excellent documentary One More for The Fire as an extra (this also appears on the Diary of the Dead features, but it's got nothing to do with that film), and Criterion's edition is just spectacular all-round.

Years ago the disc released by Millennium in America was the standard for NOTLD on home video.