Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:21:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Characters you're supposed to like that you just ... don't

Started by Cerys, March 04, 2020, 08:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marner and Me

Quote from: ToneLa on March 05, 2020, 09:17:19 AM
Mauro Icardi. Signed him to Liverpool in PES2020 and he's boss on pitch but his score celebration is fucking naff. Hands behind his ears and maw open, what the Christing fuck on a cracker is that all about?
You can change it, he is a goal machine though, I have him and Haaland for Roma.

Urinal Cake

Your first ally in Persona 3-5. There's a reason why I'm your first friend. Yosuke seemed the worst.

C_Larence

Quote from: Consignia on March 05, 2020, 09:33:32 PM
I'm playing through Nier Automata at the moment. I don't mind 2B she's just a neutral audience surrogate shoved into a latex sex-doll. But 9S, he did my head in. Until route B,
Spoiler alert
after playing as him, I actually quite like him. Pity I don't like the hacking mechanic.
[close]

There's a lot more to her than that, but I won't spoil anything. Wish I could be in your shoes just to see the real Ending for the first time again.

Consignia

True enough, ending A isn't really an ending at all is it? I shouldn't be letting myself get spoilt before the real endings.

C_Larence

Quote from: Consignia on March 05, 2020, 10:57:06 PM
True enough, ending A isn't really an ending at all is it? I shouldn't be letting myself get spoilt before the real endings.

Ending A is absolutely not an ending. It's annoying seeing posts from people around the time it came out saying how much they hated the game, then finding out that they didn't realise they'd played about a third of it. The message Square Enix put after ending A doesn't really help matters. Anyway, avoid spoilers. Get ending E.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 05, 2020, 08:04:05 PM
I fell asleep playing ODST

ODST is cracking but only because it mixes up the Halo formula and plays more like a soft stealth game. Creeping around the rainy city late at night on a rainy Monday evening in the real world, with a cup of hot chocolate. Cracking.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Cerys on March 04, 2020, 08:05:04 PM
Currently embarked on yet another playthrough of FFVII, and there is no escaping the fact that I can't stand Aerith...

...I must insinuate my way into your hotel room and drag you out on a shitty date when you're trying to sleep off the days of hardship leading up to this point.  What, you say?  You wanted a date with one of the others?  Well, Cloud, that's just tough.  Because I'm so sweet and pink and insistent that there is no way you can get out of this.  Even keeping me dead for the majority of the action is no guarantee.

Eh, I've always used a guide on subsequent playthroughs to ensure that my date is with Barret.  He'd keep me warm at night, just the two of us, snuggled up in bed.  Maybe we could buy him some form of sex aid attachment for his right hand.  Big burly Barret; a total studmuffin.  I'd ride that dreamboat until the chocobos came home to roost and then some.

ToneLa

Quote from: Marner and Me on March 05, 2020, 09:44:44 PM
You can change it, he is a goal machine though, I have him and Haaland for Roma.

I think I will be changing it, it's fucking daft. He is fucking mint though isn't he? Always seems to be shattered by the second half but I won't let him be lazy. His agent wife'd kill me

Sheffield Wednesday

For all his iconic mascotry and a series of staggeringly brilliant games, does anyone have any affection whatsoever for 'Super' Mario?

ToneLa

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 06, 2020, 10:42:41 AM
For all his iconic mascotry and a series of staggeringly brilliant games, does anyone have any affection whatsoever for 'Super' Mario?

I'm no angel when it comes to the ladyfolk, but fuck, crawling through toilets and sewers and stamping on dozens if not hundreds of turtles just for a woman?? Mario's an embarassingly desperate fannyrat

Pink Gregory

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 06, 2020, 12:25:38 AM
ODST is cracking but only because it mixes up the Halo formula and plays more like a soft stealth game. Creeping around the rainy city late at night on a rainy Monday evening in the real world, with a cup of hot chocolate. Cracking.

Might have missed a trick by playing the whole thing co-op.  We never really bothered with learning our way around the main city, just kind of bimbled around until we found the objective.

bgmnts

Yes Mario is fucking ace.

Ya-HOO!

beanheadmcginty

Fucking hell. Obvious thing I've just realised: Mario goes down in those big pipes because he is a plumber.
Never made the connection between the two before.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Another one for Nathan "Nate Dogg" Drake here, the corny American twat. Every time he does one of his death defying jumps I'm hoping he mistimes it and slams face first into a wall, then loses all his teeth. I'm glad he's an orphan.

The cast of Mass Effect Andromeda, especially Liam, whose only responsibility in the Andromeda galaxy should be pushing trolleys around an Andromedian Morrison's car park.

The cast of Until Dawn, although that may be an intentional teen horror trope.

Claptrap. Is this meant to be funny?

New Lara Croft - Fuck off, you're just boring now.

Kelvin

I think he's genuinely quite endearing in Super Mario World and Mario 64, where he has a goofier, accident prone persona which sort of vanishes later.

I hate the version of him where he's all badass and serious though - Smash, Mario Sport games, Mario Kart.

ToneLa

Blinder Data

Love Mario. Sweet little fella. Have a mushroom on me, pal.

Most video game characters are unlikeable or inspire no emotion. This is probably because nearly everyone who writes the scripts are unimaginative nerds (except you, popcorn). Gun-toting meatheads, mysterious wizard badasses, self-empowered sexy ladies. All garbage.

Was I meant to like Ben, the lanky guy from the Walking Dead Season One? I can't remember what he did wrong exactly but he was useless and I was glad of the opportunity to drop him to his death. By contrast, Lee and little Clem were aces.

I think you could name any videogame character with some justification, considering how badly written they all are. A thread about characters you actually like might elicit more interesting responses (sorry, OP).

bgmnts

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 06, 2020, 02:31:04 PM
Was I meant to like Ben, the lanky guy from the Walking Dead Season One? I can't remember what he did wrong exactly but he was useless and I was glad of the opportunity to drop him to his death. By contrast, Lee and little Clem were aces.

He was the one sending the bandits supplies - effectively killing Kenny's wife and kid - and just spent the entire game being a burden, contributing nothing.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was going to say Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2, but then I thought he was probably actually meant to be a bit offputting. From the same game, you weren't supposed to like Fortune as such (being as she was a baddie and all) but she was clearly meant to be a tragic sort of villain. I just thought she was a stupid git though - whinging about how she wanted to die in battle, while blatantly wearing a forcefield thing on her belt.

Chollis

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 06, 2020, 01:35:42 PM
Fucking hell. Obvious thing I've just realised: Mario goes down in those big pipes because he is a plumber.
Never made the connection between the two before.

good lord

Thursday

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 05, 2020, 09:45:51 PM
Your first ally in Persona 3-5. There's a reason why I'm your first friend. Yosuke seemed the worst.

Aye, Junpei, Yosuke, Ryuji. It's like they're all supposed to be the normal relatable dude character for the male player. You pretty much can't help maxing out social links with them and yet I'd never spend time with them by choice, and if I do it's only for tactical battle reasons

Thursday

I like Mario.

Super Mario on the other hand. What a cunt.

Marner and Me

Quote from: ToneLa on March 06, 2020, 09:07:39 AM
I think I will be changing it, it's fucking daft. He is fucking mint though isn't he? Always seems to be shattered by the second half but I won't let him be lazy. His agent wife'd kill me
He's immense I'm tempted to sell him and put Haaland as my full time CF

The regens are lazy though. Just the same player, same name, same likeness, younger age.

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: Thursday on March 06, 2020, 04:44:05 PM
I like Mario.

Super Mario on the other hand. What a cunt.

Bit big-headed, I say.

I also totally agree with Kevin's assessment of his goofy charm in earlier outings. Even in Galaxy, he feels like an improbable hero, but he definitely changed.

On the contrary, whereas Luigi has always been a vulnerable chap, I find that his nervous sputtering makes me anxious for him and then almost annoyed with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he were actually married to Princess Peach, you know what I mean? Bowser and his own brother happily doing the dirty on the slippery simp, with Luigi only turning up for NG+ with his off-brand green stars or some speedrunning DLC where the subtext is him trying frantically to get home before his wife floats down onto Mario's bulbous toadstool.

Bazooka

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 06, 2020, 03:55:03 PM
I was going to say Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2, but then I thought he was probably actually meant to be a bit offputting. From the same game, you weren't supposed to like Fortune as such (being as she was a baddie and all) but she was clearly meant to be a tragic sort of villain. I just thought she was a stupid git though - whinging about how she wanted to die in battle, while blatantly wearing a forcefield thing on her belt.

Raiden can sound whiney all he wants, he couldn't give a shit because he can cartwheel really well and cut robots in half very easily.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I could never take Raiden seriously because of the gay little high heeled shoes that come pre-installed on his cyborg body.

C_Larence

Quote from: Thursday on March 06, 2020, 04:42:37 PM
Aye, Junpei, Yosuke, Ryuji. It's like they're all supposed to be the normal relatable dude character for the male player. You pretty much can't help maxing out social links with them and yet I'd never spend time with them by choice, and if I do it's only for tactical battle reasons

I'm playing through Persona 5 for the first time right now, halfway through the Tomb palace. It's my first Persona game and I'm absolutely loving it, although it's a little overwhelming the sheer amount of stuff I can do. I'm getting tired of the characters having the same realisations over and over again. It's not just Ryuji. Every time a new character is introduced it takes forever for anyone to have any idea who they are and what they want, no matter how obvious it is.

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on March 06, 2020, 02:40:12 PM
He was the one sending the bandits supplies - effectively killing Kenny's wife and kid - and just spent the entire game being a burden, contributing nothing.

I still felt really bad when
Spoiler alert
I dropped him, only to leave him crippled and stranded as zombies ate his face off though. Actually played that bit again just to change it.
[close]

Spiteface

Cassie fucking Cage.
Worst part of the "Kombat Kids" set, and the rebooted MK trilogy of 9, X and 11.
The daughter of 2 characters you liked better than her, who you;'re just told is special because of half of her parentage, after said half is revealed to have special powers.
I refuse to accept some army brat can take out a fallen Elder God when other gods, monsters, demons and sorcerers exist in the MK Universe.
At least MK11 ends with the focus on more deserving characters.