Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bullseye

Started by bgmnts, March 04, 2020, 09:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I have been watching a lot of Bullseye on Challenge recently. It has a very odd atmosphere, especially considering its mostly on between late night and early morning. It's amazingly unfunny and all of the pre game banter with the contestants is edited out, presumably by Challenge because the gags are bordering on offensive or something.

Also the title intro was incredibly naff even up until the early 90s. I can definitely believe this was part of people's Sunday evenings.

lgpmachine

I enjoy watching a couple of episodes in its time slot on Challenge, it's proper pre-bed comfort TV.  The main downside is the sense of pathos when you look at the almost exclusively grey-haired audience and realise that they're probably all dead now.

the

I love Bullseye. I reckon cumulative viewing of Challenge over 10+ years has led to me having seen 99.7% of all episodes ever produced.

However I feel slightly melancholy, as I'm now living somewhere that doesn't have an aerial so I've been without my Bullseye fix for some months now.

The edits you refer to seem to occur in the later episodes, I'm not sure if they relate to a slightly longer running time when they went to Saturdays on ITV, and Challenge want to try and keep their ad breaks neat. But I know that they don't uniformly edit out the contestant interviews, as the earlier episodes retain them (for better or worse).

Jim's later prize descriptions are excellent. "When you need to feed at speed - it's a microwave oven". His obsession with craftsmanship is also a perennial feature.

Gurke and Hare

The ragtime piano version of the theme in the early series is brilliant.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bgmnts on March 04, 2020, 09:46:16 PM
Also the title intro was incredibly naff even up until the early 90s. I can definitely believe this was part of people's Sunday evenings.

It makes me think of the fireplace in my parents house on a brisk Autumn day 25 years ago. I half watch Bullseye instead of going out into the world and doing something with my life.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: the on March 05, 2020, 12:22:57 AM
I feel slightly melancholy, as I'm now living somewhere that doesn't have an aerial so I've been without my Bullseye fix for some months now.

Jesus that's bleak.

the

You're bleak mate

This is bollocks and all:

Quote from: bgmnts on March 04, 2020, 09:46:16 PMAlso the title intro was incredibly naff even up until the early 90s.

I presume you're talking about the 'flying bus' intro - this is one of Central's 'quite technically impressive actually' intro sequences (Blockbusters was similarly blessed). Uses cel animation, filmed elements and computer graphics. It is - to use the parlance of people with souls - fun.

Marner and Me

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 05, 2020, 01:14:44 PM
Jesus that's bleak.
I know someone like this too, he leads a piss poor life.

bgmnts

Quote from: the on March 05, 2020, 01:24:06 PM
You're bleak mate

This is bollocks and all:

I presume you're talking about the 'flying bus' intro - this is one of Central's 'quite technically impressive actually' intro sequences (Blockbusters was similarly blessed). Uses cel animation, filmed elements and computer graphics. It is - to use the parlance of people with souls - fun.

It's fun and naff yeah.

Gurke and Hare

It's quite bleak that Bully - surely the greatest of game show animated characters - effectively murders a coachful of passengers.

ToneLa

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 05, 2020, 01:52:57 PM
It's quite bleak that Bully - surely the greatest of game show animated characters

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah, are we to pretend the 3D-era modern Mr Chips from Catchphrase doesn't exist?

... never mind, just saw what the cunt looks like

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: ToneLa on March 05, 2020, 01:54:29 PM
Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah, are we to pretend the 3D-era modern Mr Chips from Catchphrase doesn't exist?

Can he bellow to indicate that a contestant's time is up, check words in a dictionary and express an appropriate emotion depending whether the star prize has been won or not?

ToneLa

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 05, 2020, 01:56:47 PM
Can he bellow to indicate that a contestant's time is up, check words in a dictionary and express an appropriate emotion depending whether the star prize has been won or not?

Unfair question -  that would make him, if anything, worse

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 05, 2020, 01:56:47 PM

No, but he can disrupt the show by frantically wanking when he sees a happy snake.

the

Quote from: Marner and Me on March 05, 2020, 01:39:18 PMI know someone like this too, he leads a piss poor life.

Yeah as if you've got a friend

the

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 05, 2020, 01:52:57 PMIt's quite bleak that Bully - surely the greatest of game show animated characters - effectively murders a coachful of passengers.

Hmm, I would now quite like to see an appended scene, showing the driverless bus plummeting down onto the (presumably) massive oche below and exploding, decimating the BDO.

hedgehog90?

jobotic

https://bullseyecontestants.tumblr.com/post/97979314138/hes-seen-some-things

Wossis? One of your wife's stockings? Blimey she's a big old bird.

I really hope this bloke was from SE London.

the

Quote from: jobotic on March 05, 2020, 02:31:34 PMI really hope this bloke was from SE London.

Don't you mean he's "from Thames"?

imitationleather

When a pair are from the Ulster region and Jim Bowen can't decide whether to go for the thick Irishman gags or just straight-up angrily accuse them of being in the IRA.

Norton Canes

Blumf

magval

Quote from: imitationleather on March 05, 2020, 03:50:34 PM
When a pair are from the Ulster region and Jim Bowen can't decide whether to go for the thick Irishman gags or just straight-up angrily accuse them of being in the IRA.

Did this happen

bgmnts

They had two scottish blokes on the other day and Bowen made a gag about there not being subtitles.

lankyguy95

The best episode was that one with the serial killer.

petril

never knew Arn Anderson couldn't beat a bit of bully

pigamus

Fuck Bullseye. Fuck Morning Worship, fuck the Pink Panther, fuck Highway with Harry Secombe, fuck All Clued Up, fuck Bread, fuck all of it. It amazes me how many people forget how fucking awful and dreary and miserable those Sundays used to be.

NO I WILL NOT REMEMBER I HAVE SCHOOL IN THE MORNING, HA HA FUCK YOU MOTHER WHO IS NOW DEAD

shiftwork2

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Cuntbeaks

You can't beat a bit of bully.

Amen.