Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bullseye

Started by bgmnts, March 04, 2020, 09:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: the on March 06, 2020, 02:04:04 PM
"That money'll be on its way to your charity, in the post, first thing Monday morning. ... Or whenever."

Is that something to do with governments and multinational companies pledging money to telethons and charities that never materialises? Probly not.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: sick as a pike on March 06, 2020, 02:55:43 PM
My storming "Barry McGuigan in 1988" anecdote...

In 1988 I took the booking for a service on Barry McGuigan's quadbike.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

That's a cracker!

gilbertharding

Barry McGuigan lives near Whitstable, apparently.

the

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 06, 2020, 03:13:41 PMoutside of the grand prize what's the biggest win you've seen on Bullseye? usually if they have £600 and a teasmaid at the end of the prize board they fuck off home.

Not really, if people on Bullseye do well it's usually because they got a tasty dart player who can get a few £200ers in. After that they're usually confident enough to play on through, which was why they later brought in the 'BFH' rule to add jeopardy to the gamble and make more people consider leaving it for someone else.

(If you've got £600 and you're only gonna potentially lose a kiddy's bicycle, a terrerium and a Kodak Disc camera, of course you're going to gamble.)

Though I did see one early one where they had a belting county dart player, kept getting high-value questions but they turned out to be quite awkward questions[nb]Not awkward questions in the sense of 'where were you at the time of your niece's dissappearance?'[/nb], the answerer floundered and the team crapped out. The dart player looked supremely pissed off.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 06, 2020, 03:39:17 PMIs that something to do with governments and multinational companies pledging money to telethons and charities that never materialises? Probly not.

My theory is that, when Bullseye began, the producers briefed Jim to make totally clear to the viewers that the charity money won't be lost in the gamble. However across several hundred episodes Jim's taken that and extemporised it into this insane reassurance word jazz.

Bobby Treetops

I once bought some pills off Jim Bowen's son.

That is all...

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Never saw Jim Bowen play darts though, did you?

sevendaughters

the episodes I saw on Saturday night saw both "winners" cheese it after winning about 500-600 quid and a couple of nice prizes.

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 06, 2020, 03:52:19 PM
Barry McGuigan lives near Whitstable, apparently.
He does. Or certainly did in 1988, though a bit closer to Faversham than Whitstable.  I mentioned the gripping 'booking in your quadbike' incident when I met him years later, but it had been stolen.
Christ these anecdotes are invigorating.  Well done, me!

gilbertharding

Quote from: sick as a pike on March 06, 2020, 04:30:38 PM
He does. Or certainly did in 1988, though a bit closer to Faversham than Whitstable.

Dargate.

Spode

The real value was in moving to somewhere as far as possible from the Bullseye studio, some remote isle off Scotland and getting a mate on the inside as a bus driver. That way, your BFH probably amounts to more than you're playing for when split 3 ways and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to lose the speedboat.

Does involve relocating yours and a friends family to the Isle of Skye and places heavy pressure on the question rounds but profit is profit. If you did it early enough in the show's run, your kids could even end up having a go by the time Spikey got his hands on it.

bgmnts

Who needs friends when you have Challenge and Challenge+1 on freeview?

The Culture Bunker

I know Baddiel cops for flak on here, not without justification, but I did enjoy his routine about Tony from Bullseye having the most calming, reassuring voice in the world and that if we sent him out to Yugoslavia, he'd sort out the whole Civil War in no time.

Frank Skinner's routine about doing his own Bully's Prize Board, and it all being x-rated ("If you keep it tight, she'll be up all right - it's a leather cock ring"), was funny as fuck to me at the age of 16. Probably still now, actually.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: the on March 06, 2020, 03:56:12 PM
Insane Reassurance Word Jazz.

Well that's the new album name sorted, cheers.

Jockice

My even better Jim Bowen anecdote. A friend of mine and his wife went into a pub in the Lake District while on holiday up there. A band was playing easy listening classics. Jim was their drummer. And no, they didn't have a sax player before you ask.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: batwings on March 06, 2020, 01:59:46 PM
I love these bleak late 70s/early 80s shows like Bullseye or 3-2-1.

Some of these old shows from the eighties really test the patience when you just want a nostalgia hit. 3-2-1 being a prime example. A great way to alleviate the boredom of actually just watching an old episode raw is to watch a Youtube video of someone else watching it and commenting on it, like a surrogate friend for people like me who can't be arsed leaving the house to meet friends in the flesh.

About two weeks ago Limmy did a watch along of an episode of 3-2-1. His forensic-ish analysis of the cheesy puns and end of the pier style thrown together at the last minute humour is worth a look. Rogers being a pure hack. The irony is Rogers complained bitterly in the late eighties about a bunch of Oxbridge types dumping him out of TV but the truth was he'd been pumping out the same middle of the road garbage and getting away with it for over a decade and was overdue a cancelling. Far more talented people have had much shorter runs on the box and made much less money.

DrGreggles

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 06, 2020, 10:17:35 PM
About two weeks ago Limmy did a watch along of an episode of 3-2-1. His forensic-ish analysis of the cheesy puns and end of the pier style thrown together at the last minute humour is worth a look.

Ooh, linky please!

The Culture Bunker

I did find the Viz strip "Ted Rogers in the 25th Century" funny, if that counts for anything.

monkfromhavana

PinkNoise

'Places", please Jim.

Marner and Me

Big Break was better anyway :p

sevendaughters

Quote from: Marner and Me on March 07, 2020, 01:31:43 AM
Big Break was better anyway :p

poor man's Full Swing with Jimmy Tarbuck

(Thinks) If anyone deserves this win, it's a hardworking, honest, generous man like me.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on March 07, 2020, 10:53:58 AM

(Thinks) If anyone deserves this win, it's a hardworking, honest, generous man like me.

Great photo-fits of our time:

petril

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm amazed this hasn't been remade yet. Paddy McGuinness could present it.

Dewt

Dewt

Cannot believe that the word "BUZZ" is misaligned on that button.

This was where I saw Dino Dini get fired and where two of the developers would try password reuse on accounts to try and plunder MySpace photos from personal accounts of teenage girls

They also made the news because they came up with a bunch of edgelord questions and answers for the Blockbusters game. I was fired for "gross misconduct" (just not going in anymore)

DrGreggles

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on March 07, 2020, 04:25:00 PM
I'm amazed this hasn't been remade yet. Paddy McGuinness could present it.

Nearly. It was Dave Spikey.