Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Bring Back Barley" says NME guy...

Started by Spiteface, April 20, 2005, 01:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

anyone read this article in the NME???  what it says is that C4 would be wrong to knock back a second series, just because of poor rayings for the first(only?) series.

Reminds me of some of the mass-debate we had over the series earlier this year...

Morrisfan82

Well C4 would be wrong to knock back a second series just because of ratings. However, I'd like to think that their decision had rather more to do with Nathan Barley being a pile of jaded boring dated ill-judged desperate amateurish jokeless teenage under-written shit.

Spiteface

there were other reasons, such as the Character Ivan Plapp, andrew Newman thought he was a little too close to home...

I think the ratings thing is an excuse.

It was cack, though, certainly below-par, without going over this again...

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "Muteki"Well C4 would be wrong to knock back a second series just because of ratings. However, I'd like to think that their decision had rather more to do with Nathan Barley being a pile of jaded boring dated ill-judged desperate amateurish jokeless teenage under-written shit.

*Applauds*

Said it all, there.

Bernard

"Bring Back NME" says Barley guy.

I like to think that's quite clever.

SurferGhost

Quote from: "Bernard""Bring Back NME" says Barley guy.
"Ooh, and 20 Rothmans and a packet of Maltesers. Go on, I'll pay you back later, I'm expecting a big cheque in the post..."

Godzilla Bankrolls

"More Ab Fab!" says Saatchi and Saatchi cunt.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

'Bring back comedy' says The Public.

SurferGhost

"Bring Back The Public!" says TV's Marc Wootton.

EDIT: Oh bollocks, there is no Marc Wootton is there, I've just torn down The Fourth Wall...

kaprisky

There was a page on Teletext (p130 onwards) that mentioned this Barley second series rumour. It claimed that a 'source' revealed that a second series was definitely given the nod despite the ratings, and that "when the DVD comes out it would give people a chance to see how good it really was"....

Hmm...

Lee

"Bring back Barley" says Robinsons guy.

Yay me!

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Some marketing twat""when the DVD comes out it would give people a chance to see how good it really was"

'I can't believe you're slagging off Nathan Barley having only watched it on television - you need to see it on DVD to understand how brilliant it was!'

Bernard

Quote from: "Lee""Bring back Barley" says Robinsons guy.

Yay me!

Wins.

alan strang

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "Some marketing twat""when the DVD comes out it would give people a chance to see how good it really was"

'I can't believe you're slagging off Nathan Barley having only watched it on television - you need to see it on DVD to understand how brilliant it was!'

'Yeah, you sad, pathetic bunch of DVD-drooling twatsacks...'

Sadness

As with ALL Morris material (For me anyway) I really laughed at NB on the 3/4 viewing and have to say that it is a really top addition to Morris's already glowing discography.

S.

P.S.....I'm not being sarcastic by the way.

"Isn't Graham Norton talented ?".........................Now THAT'S sarcasm!!

Regular John

Play All

Select Chapter

Subtitles - On / Off

Ayoade - On / Off

falafel

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "Sadness""Isn't Graham Norton talented ?".........................Now THAT'S sarcasm!!

My biggest gripe with Linehan&Matthews is that they gave his character all those appearances on Father Ted, which rather indicates that they liked it. I found him even more annoying then than when he is performing as himself now.

In fact, that is my #1 example of a comedy writer/performer you respect liking/doing something that is just wrong.

The Mumbler

Someone at the increasingly poor Word magazine (my money's on David Quantick - it reads like him), unbelievably, has included a Barley catchphrase in The Best 30 Catchphrases space-filling list.  I would say what it was here, but I can't remember it.

An unforgettable show, there.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Jon_Norton"
Quote from: "Sadness""Isn't Graham Norton talented ?".........................Now THAT'S sarcasm!!

My biggest gripe with Linehan&Matthews is that they gave his character all those appearances on Father Ted, which rather indicates that they liked it. I found him even more annoying then than when he is performing as himself now.

In fact, that is my #1 example of a comedy writer/performer you respect liking/doing something that is just wrong.

Norton's only in three episodes out of 25, though.  Larry Duff turns up far more often.

RedboX

Quote from: "Jon_Norton"

The problem is the first time he fetched up he was excelently cast as Father Noel Furlong, if ever the was a man born to play that role it was Graham Norton.  

To me his later apearances in 'Flight into Terror' and 'The Mainland' are more on the anoying side, and almost seem forced , tho thats more true of 'The Mainland'  than the almost cameo appearance in 'Fight into Terror'

Infact while 'The Mainland' seems to stick out from the rest of the series, with a "guest" appearence from Richard Wilson and the return of Father Furlong, it almost seems fan serivce

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Norton's only in three episodes out of 25, though.

Feels like more than that.

Jon_Norton

Anyway, here's yer actual sarcasm....

Quote from: "Spiteface"anyone read this article in the NME???  

Shouldn't that be: "anyone read the NME???"

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

It was 'Well futile' that Word quoted, I think.

The same magazine also had the cheek to do a 'banned album covers' feature. An idea which has only been done by Q and Vox 746 times.

Who's going to put money into a Nathan Barley DVD, that's what I want to know. A disc that even the hardcore Morris fanbase won't necessarily buy. Or was it in the original contract? I mean, it's the same with Garth Marenghi - how many are they going to sell? Couple of hundred?

The Mumbler

Not to mention Andrew Collins writing the most pointless TV column* in existence - he makes the outpourings of Noddy Holder (Mark Radcliffe's TV correspondent) sound like Raymond Williams.

There'll be a Nathan Barley DVD, whether we like it or not.  I'd be amazed if there isn't.

(*This month: "I Still Get Scraps of Loose Change for Episodes of EastEnders I Wrote A Few Years Ago".  And: "More Slaggings Of Programmes Where I Don't Know The Backroom Boys Personally")

23 Daves

I rather rashly said in another NB thread that I wouldn't mind seeing a second series just because it would irk all the Morris purists.  This was largely due to the continual circular ranting of a select few individuals at the time, who seemed to think that anyone who actually thought NB was - y'know - quite good could only be stupid.

In reality, of course I'd like to see Morris move on to other things.  A second series of NB as opposed to a second series of Brasseye or TDT would make no sense.  Both those were more coherent and more enticing ideas, and they also had a lot more mileage.  

I've rewatched Nathan Barley a number of times now, and I still don't see how it's a complete failure.  I can't be bothered re-iterating why, but I found a nice blog entry (http://aliasfrequencies.org/son/2005/03/28/nathan-barley/) that sums many of my feelings up (bar the petty comments about comedy geeks on this forum).

That said, my wife hated it, felt it was badly written and edited, and she doesn't even read the ramblings of you lot because you're all "like the comic strip bloke off the Simpsons".  So there you go.

TJ

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Who's going to put money into a Nathan Barley DVD, that's what I want to know. A disc that even the hardcore Morris fanbase won't necessarily buy. Or was it in the original contract? I mean, it's the same with Garth Marenghi - how many are they going to sell? Couple of hundred?

I don't want to alarm you, but auction site pillocks are already paying through the nose for bootleg copies...

alan strang

Quote from: "TJ"I don't want to alarm you, but auction site pillocks are already paying through the nose for bootleg copies...

But how many of them are doing so because they just assume it'll never become available as an official DVD? Bloody fanboys - they're only into the 'rare' stuff!

hands cold, liver warm

looks like there will be a second series. An insider says that the series has already been given the go ahead

check p130 ITV teletext

apologies if this has been mentioned already

jutl

Quote from: "23 Daves"(http://aliasfrequencies.org/son/2005/03/28/nathan-barley/)

Quote from: "that blog"Dan's integrity is shown to be a delusion in episode five when, in need of money, he accepts an assignment to wank off a guy for a feature article. Journalism as prostitution. I'm sure that those of us who've worked 'for hire' or taken commissions for projects we dislike, or frankly, done any work (other than that which we love) for money, can identify...

-SNIP-

It becomes clear that Dan is a sort of fractal (self-similar) version of Nathan. He looks down at Nathan, but as we observe Dan from our perspective, he is the same. The implication being that if we were to pull back again, we would see that we are also the same as Dan ie the same as Nathan.

-SNIP-

Apparently several of Nathan's catchphrases have become popular with viewers, which is a clear, final demonstration that we are all Nathan Barley.

Daves - I have the greatest respect for you - particularly since you agreed with me over what a cunt Tom Paulin is. Still... that blog entry is close to being the most pathetic, meaningless, ersatz-intellectual rubbish I have ever read.

(i) Dan's 'integrity' is not what the idiots see as cool - that's just wrong.
(ii) 'symbiotically trapped' - that too.
(iii) I treat anyone who found 'great depth and subtlety' in Julian Barratt's Boosh performance with extreme suspicion, and in fact I may call the police. Surely even fans of the show wouldn't claim that?
(iv) "Journalism as prostitution" Sorry - nothing wrong with that really, I just find its blank obviousness funny.
(v) That fractal stuff is frou-frou nonsense. He could have just said recursive, but even that's pushing a fairly smelly and obvious point further than it needs to go.

In summary - he's right when he says we're twats, but the rest of it is that usual frothy blog cocktail that's equal parts pretentious, obvious and wrong.